Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Events & Racing > Motorcycle Racing

Old 12-05-2009, 12:49 PM   #11
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Respectable enough Mscuddy. I do envy the time you had with the 2strokes for sure. Is that a DT250 in your avatar?

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-05-2009, 01:07 PM   #12
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Yep, that's my '72 DT250 Enduro that I used for racing vintage MX events, street legal. Some mods:

Ports cleaned and matched, exhaust port raised 1.5 mm, transfer ports knife-edged. GYT KIT cylinder head that made up for the raised exhaust port 9.1 compression. Boyensen reeds, 34mm Mikuni spigot mount, GYT Kit chamber, forks modified by Clark Jones at Noleen racing (re-drilled damper rods, top out springs replaced with spacers, progressive springs) Works Perfoamance rear shocks.

Folks on the start line would laugh and point at me, until I smoked by them somewhere on the track, usually through the whoops, or in a snotty corner (Barums front and back). One guy on an 8 speed 360 Husky was so pi$$ed off that I lapped him, he sold his bike and bought a Rickman Montessa. Beat that too.

I usually would place in the top five for both motos, usually taking 3rd overall. Pretty good for a 270 lb. DT2 with steel fenders, eh?

That shot for the avitar was taken at the '05 Adelanto Grand Prix, where I came in 5th (out of about 25 REAL mx bikes czs, maicos, huskys, pentons, etc).

Doing more with less was my bag. Thanks Moke1K.
Old 12-07-2009, 06:09 AM   #13
silentgrayfellow
Founding Member

Very cool Cuddy, thanks for sharing
silentgrayfellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 06:28 AM   #14
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscuddy View Post
Yep, that's my '72 DT250 Enduro that I used for racing vintage MX events, street legal. Some mods:

Ports cleaned and matched, exhaust port raised 1.5 mm, transfer ports knife-edged. GYT KIT cylinder head that made up for the raised exhaust port 9.1 compression. Boyensen reeds, 34mm Mikuni spigot mount, GYT Kit chamber, forks modified by Clark Jones at Noleen racing (re-drilled damper rods, top out springs replaced with spacers, progressive springs) Works Perfoamance rear shocks.

Folks on the start line would laugh and point at me, until I smoked by them somewhere on the track, usually through the whoops, or in a snotty corner (Barums front and back). One guy on an 8 speed 360 Husky was so pi$$ed off that I lapped him, he sold his bike and bought a Rickman Montessa. Beat that too.

I usually would place in the top five for both motos, usually taking 3rd overall. Pretty good for a 270 lb. DT2 with steel fenders, eh?

That shot for the avitar was taken at the '05 Adelanto Grand Prix, where I came in 5th (out of about 25 REAL mx bikes czs, maicos, huskys, pentons, etc).

Doing more with less was my bag. Thanks Moke1K.
Thats awsome MsCuddy!! I wish I had the chance to race more
2stroke road machines myself. Suprisingly that picture is not very old which tells me your accident must have happened very recently. How early did you start racing? Any roadracing?
Old 12-09-2009, 11:05 AM   #15
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

I started riding when I was about 9. Racing when I was 13 at Indian Dunes on a Mini Enduro (JT1MX). Stopped racing MX when it went to supercross type tracks, but have raced desert hare 'n hounds, poker runs, District 37, GP's etc. since about 1974.

The only roadracing I did was on Angeles Crest and down the backside of Griffith Park. Impromptu stuff, my out-of-class dual sport or old crappy Honda something or other against whatever was trick stuff at the time, usually could beat about anybody.

Motorcycles were pretty much my lifes passion, since it was something I loved, and was good at. What made me tick was smoking pompous a holes on the latest trick machines with 20 year old ratty dirt bikes, like my old CR500. Looked like hell, but ran like a raped ape.

I'm pretty much over it, my 3rd year anniversary comes on the 21st of this month. Never thought this would happen to me. I was too good. And after 35+ years of street riding, guess I got distainfull of cars, and the idiots who drive them. I got rear-ended by an SUV while on my new XB9SX. Sometimes I wish I didn't make it.
Old 12-09-2009, 12:04 PM   #16
MOKE1K
Registered Member

When I started I was old but loved it aswell and I think that made me better than average considering the limited time and experience I had.
Age 19 bought my first street bike, Two years later I was racing. Please don't tell me you were hit at a stop light or sign. That one scares me the most. Everything happens for a reason, you just have to find out what that reason is. My father is been a Quad so long I can't even remember him walking. Hes 68 now and still going. He used to play tennis, push marathons and anything in between. Keep your head up, what about the kart's.