Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Events & Racing > Motorcycle Racing

Old 11-11-2009, 10:08 AM   #21
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool

What was with that, no explanation from the commentators, didnt think it was possibly to high side something that bad with warmers, not that it couldn't be done. Strange stuff.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-11-2009, 10:25 AM   #22
acecycleins
Founding Member

Stoner says it's related to "how" the grid. I suppose that they don't rely on the warm-up lap being super important to tire heat. Seems like a weird thing- not to warm said tires. But it may be one of the reasons Nicky says he can't "feel" the front of the bike come in until he's hitting his third lap. This method is changing for next season according to an interview I read by Casey a few days ago.
Old 11-11-2009, 11:46 AM   #23
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by acecycleins View Post
Stoner says it's related to "how" the grid. I suppose that they don't rely on the warm-up lap being super important to tire heat. Seems like a weird thing- not to warm said tires. But it may be one of the reasons Nicky says he can't "feel" the front of the bike come in until he's hitting his third lap. This method is changing for next season according to an interview I read by Casey a few days ago.
Explain "how" the grid? You mean how they grid? What did the article say.
Old 11-11-2009, 12:51 PM   #24
acecycleins
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKE1K View Post
Explain "how" the grid? You mean how they grid? What did the article say.
Ducati uses a technique when lined up on the grid that everyone else does not. Casey didn't go into detail. The way I read it made it sound like they intentionally keep the tires cooler. I could be wrong, but he and Nick both have to baby the starts so they don't crash out in the first few turns waiting for the tires to come in. Doesn't really matter since they are abandoning this method next season. I read this in a Euro article- I just can't remember which one right now.
Old 11-11-2009, 01:53 PM   #25
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool

Quote:
Ducati uses a technique when lined up on the grid that everyone else does not. Casey didn't go into detail. The way I read it made it sound like they intentionally keep the tires cooler. I could be wrong, but he and Nick both have to baby the starts so they don't crash out in the first few turns waiting for the tires to come in. Doesn't really matter since they are abandoning this method next season. I read this in a Euro article- I just can't remember which one right now.
That sounds strange huh? I'll have to look and see if I see any warmers on the grid from past pics. Thanks!
Old 11-11-2009, 03:00 PM   #26
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool Found this out.

Quote:
Ever wonder why Casey Stoner is usually the last rider to line up on the grid? Simple, Ducati has a special grid strategy, a procedure that allows their riders to complete the race without fear of running out of fuel.

The goal is warm the tires as soon as possible and avoid an excessive fuel consumption. The rider heads out on the spare bike and brings the tires up to temperature as soon as possible with no worry about fuel, because the bike he’s using will not be used in the race.

Instead of heading to the grid, the Ducati rider heads back to the pitlane and changes to his race bike and leaves the lane and rides back on track at a very low speed to minimize fuel consumption. Once on the grid the tires are replaced with those that have been brought up to the right temperature on the spare bike and kept up with tire warmers.
Old 11-11-2009, 03:49 PM   #27
mugwump58
Registered Member

I heard one rumor that they go out on the warm up lap on the back up bike with the "real" bike on the line. The warmed tires are then run out on to the grid to be put on the "real" bike that still has a full fuel load. I didn't notice that before but will admit I wasn't looking for it. Casey is always last out, with his hand up, and the last back on to the grid. I'll look to see where I picked up this crazy notion and post up a link when I find it.

OK I don't know where I got that from. Hell it doesn't even make sense. But I'm not smart enough to make something like that up. I'll keep looking but I'm guessing it's an early sign of senility.

Last edited by mugwump58 : 11-11-2009 at 05:29 PM. Reason: I've lost my f'n mind
mugwump58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 06:30 PM   #28
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugwump58 View Post
I heard one rumor that they go out on the warm up lap on the back up bike with the "real" bike on the line. The warmed tires are then run out on to the grid to be put on the "real" bike that still has a full fuel load. I didn't notice that before but will admit I wasn't looking for it. Casey is always last out, with his hand up, and the last back on to the grid. I'll look to see where I picked up this crazy notion and post up a link when I find it.

OK I don't know where I got that from. Hell it doesn't even make sense. But I'm not smart enough to make something like that up. I'll keep looking but I'm guessing it's an early sign of senility.
Sounds pretty close to what Moke found. Seems like there must be an easier way to put warm tires on a bike. I know the warmers themselves are tricky; it's easy to over-do it and break down the integrity of the tire if they are heated too much for too long.
Old 11-12-2009, 09:52 AM   #29
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
Sounds pretty close to what Moke found. Seems like there must be an easier way to put warm tires on a bike. I know the warmers themselves are tricky; it's easy to over-do it and break down the integrity of the tire if they are heated too much for too long.
Seems there would be an easier way to save the fuel load for the race. How about a secret Red Bull can that screws on to the tank and has a quick fill system attached to the bottom. Make it look like its made to drink out of.
Old 11-12-2009, 11:56 AM   #30
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

"If you ain't cheatin, you ain't racin!" (or "you ain't tryin!")