Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle Racing (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-racing/)
-   -   Barber 2009 (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-racing/11780-barber-2009-a.html)

acecycleins 05-04-2009 02:31 PM

Barber 2009

Well, the racing was interesting to say the least. As most of you know I worked the vendor expo during the weekend. Friday was pretty normal save for a few showers. Got my stuff loaded into a tent (without walls) and took off to check into the hotel. Called John (event's guy for the track) and said, "John, I don't have walls!" To which he replied, "Oh, really. Give me a few. I'm collecting corner workers off the track." Some time goes by (about 1 1/2hrs) and two guys show up in a pick up with my walls. These two characters were not the "tent builders" but they had my walls so I was happy. Kim and I hung the walls just in time for them to kick us out of the vendor expo. Whew, that was close.

Saturday morning was filled with rain. Glad we got the walls up, because the 2 inch pools of water made for wet feet. I was thinking ahead and wore the fake crocs so I had no wet sock issues. Lucky me. That rain threw the entire day's race schedule off by about 2 hrs. On a bright note, all those bored people had to do was walk throught he vendor area- I managed to give away about 500 chamios and hundreds of other items. Not a bad day really. After the track that night we went back and grilled out in the courtyard of the Park Inn. You'd thought they'd never seen a working grill there before. We had more attention than we care to admit, but mgmt never told us directly to stop. They weren't happy, but I guess because the guest weren't actually complaining (we even had a few people run to Wal-Mart to get their own chicken and burger) we were in the good.

Sunday was like a Chevy Chase Vacation movie. If it could go wrong today was the day. It rained hard most of the time. There was a decent break in the sky and all the hardcore fans were scratching their collective asses wondering why race control wasn't gridding bikes for the weather break. We had a 2 hrs window, almost. You could have run the Daytona and Superbike races between 12-2pm practically. With sirens screaming the little "worker bees" were trying to kick as many people off the track as possible. Even the vendors. So, we meandered to the largest Bass Pro Shop in the entire Universe. After milling around for about an hour I bought a new Gerber knife and we headed back to the track. We weren't there 5 mins and the down pour began again. By now it was about 4pm so we decided to cut losses and pack. Nothing like packing hundreds of pounds of stuff you'd hoped to put into hands and trucking back to Canton, GA.

Overall, I'd give the racing a B-. Not bad, but barely above average. I'd give the crowd attendence a B-, too. Not as large as in the past, but large enough to give out substantial amounts of crap. I'd give the Crowd attitude an A+. As crap as the weather was the crowd was actually a pretty happy bunch (until they started kicking people out the first time). And I'd give the drive home a C. Semi drivers were jerks for the most part. The rain was so heavy you could barely see and speeding trucks made it worse.

Side note. My buddy Graham and I were watching Daytona race 1 and about half way through the race he looks at the carousel and says, "It's interesting that no one has lowsided there today." Yep, it happened as he got the word "today" out of his mouth. The couple in front of us actually looked back at him as we're all kinda laughing about the karma of it all. Leading me to yesterday's karma. Listening to some nonediscrpt Carrollton GA radio station I hear the DJ say, "If you're on I-20 between Carrollton and Villa Rica slow down because there's a good chance of hydroplaning in that area." Sure enough the last word and I saw a late 90's Camaro fling itself off the road and into the woods. Driver exited with that "I think I just left a racing strip in my shorts" look.
Anyway, that's it. LR- there were at least 35k people there Saturday. Maybe more (until 2pm) on Sunday. Typical WERA weekend attendance.

longride 05-04-2009 02:41 PM

"LR- there were at least 35k people there Saturday."

That's because Mladin wasn't there.

MOKE1K 05-07-2009 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longride (Post 212290)
"LR- there were at least 35k people there Saturday."

That's because Mladin wasn't there.

You should let him know LR! Hes on twitter!

Soup :: Mat Is Blogging :: 05-07-2009

pushrod 05-07-2009 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOKE1K (Post 212677)

Lord, I SO don't care!

He is such a piece of madura in just about every interview I've ever seen that I can't imagine wasting more time on the subject than this post. I dunno why I've bothered with this...

Doesn't 'blogging' mean something different in Australian?

longride 05-07-2009 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOKE1K (Post 212677)

I wouldn't write or speak any word to that a$$clown that was outside spitting distance.

MOKE1K 05-07-2009 05:38 PM

Just thought you might like the opportunity?