Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Events & Racing > Motorcycle Racing

Old 04-27-2009, 07:57 AM   #11
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

So Michael Jordan would have been even better if he stayed in college an extra 2 years? Staying where you are learning nothing rarely yields positive results.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-27-2009, 08:46 AM   #12
acecycleins
Founding Member

Hopkins is a fine racer. World elite?- I think not. At least, not when he made the jump. I believe that hurt him. Nicky would have benefitted from a jump to WSBK for a season or two before the jump to GP. American Honda pushed Nicky into that seat. A couple of years with Ten Kate would have helped. He was only 22 at the time.
Timing is an interesting thing. Hopkins and Hayden would have definitely benefitted from two more season's in the AMA or WSBK before the GP jump. Spies, on the other hand, may have been able to skip the WSBK curve and go straight to GP. Glad he took the Yamaha job, though. I believe that Hayden Gilim (in Red Bull Rookies Cup now) will progress through the GP cup levels and be a better GP racer than Nicky has. Could he accomplish that in the AMA? Who knows, but I think the experience in GP is quite different than trying to race 600s in the US. I think he'd be sucessful, but if he chose the route that Nicky took then maybe not so much sucess as the path he's on now.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:17 AM   #13
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

So, where does all this leave Mat "Mad Karl" Mladin?
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:32 AM   #14
acecycleins
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
So, where does all this leave Mat "Mad Karl" Mladin?
Mat is the best AMA racer EVER! He will go down in history as the greatest of all time! And Moke will be his biggest fan here!!

Really- LR is right about Mat. He's making millions a year for playing Triple A roadracing. He'll always have the best ride and he'll always be a better rider than the rest of the field- until he retires. But in the end he chickened out. He doesn't have the Bayliss, Corser, Haga chops and he knows it. He played the safe card years ago when Yosh showed him those first paychecks. After that the personal sponsors filled in what was left in any salary holes. BUT I'M NOT DOGGING HIM- 'cause I told Moke I wouldn't do that for the rest of the year. So, LR did I leave anything for you to add?
Old 04-27-2009, 10:41 AM   #15
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by acecycleins View Post
Mat is the best AMA racer EVER! He will go down in history as the greatest of all time! And Moke will be his biggest fan here!!

Really- LR is right about Mat. He's making millions a year for playing Triple A roadracing. He'll always have the best ride and he'll always be a better rider than the rest of the field- until he retires. But in the end he chickened out. He doesn't have the Bayliss, Corser, Haga chops and he knows it. He played the safe card years ago when Yosh showed him those first paychecks. After that the personal sponsors filled in what was left in any salary holes. BUT I'M NOT DOGGING HIM- 'cause I told Moke I wouldn't do that for the rest of the year. So, LR did I leave anything for you to add?

Whatever dude, your more of a AMA groupie than myself with all your first hand knowledge like what underwear Larrys wearing today! Mat's good but I think most of my past post leave him with the big fish small pond theory. But please keep going your misconceptions are entertaining.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:01 AM   #16
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

"So, LR did I leave anything for you to add?"

Actually you did. I wouldn't mind Mat Mladin cherry picking so much if he was a true spokesman for the sport. If he helped his fellow riders and the AMA grow and prosper, I could tolerate him being there. But the fact that he is a complete a$$hat on top of being too scared to race against the world's bets just makes me despise him. He has personally wrecked AMA racing, and maybe forever. He needs to be ousted by whatever means necessary to save any chance that road racing in this country will actually be viable again. There ya go.
Old 04-27-2009, 12:55 PM   #17
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
So Michael Jordan would have been even better if he stayed in college an extra 2 years? Staying where you are learning nothing rarely yields positive results.
No see thats basketball we are talking about motorcycle roadracing. On top of that we are talking specificly about Hopper staying in the AMA instead of wining just one championship then moving on, kind of the opposite thing Mladin has done.
Old 04-27-2009, 01:10 PM   #18
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

The point is that nobody needs to stay in one area to improve in another. There is a fallacy that if Hopper stays in AMA he would be better in MotoGP, and I believe that is entirely false. You either have it, or you don't, and Hopper probably just went higher in class than he was ever capable of much like a AAA minor league baseball star that can't hit major league pitching. No matter how long you stay in the minor leagues, it will not help that fact. Plus MOKE, comparing basketball to golf and roadracing is all the same. They are all hand-eye coordination sports where the best are identified at a very young age. How high they go has nothing to do with how long they stay in one league.
Old 04-27-2009, 01:46 PM   #19
acecycleins
Founding Member

Moke- too sensitive about post? You pointed out in a post I plodded through months ago that Mat hadn't lost his edge. By default of that defense you have committed to being "Mat's biggest fan" on this site. Why? Well, the sterling defense and the fact that you're the only one that shows any sign of even liking the guy. Sorry- live with it. It's all in fun anyway.

"The point is that nobody needs to stay in one area to improve in another. There is a fallacy that if Hopper stays in AMA he would be better in MotoGP, and I believe that is entirely false. You either have it, or you don't, and Hopper probably just went higher in class than he was ever capable of...."

LR- the reason for the minors is to develop skills. Hopper was a great 250 racer and a fine 600 racer. The step from 600 Supersport to GP was a step he didn't take kindly. I don't even remember him on a Superbike- did he ever race one? I believe he would have faired better with one or two seasons in WSBK 600ss racing or on a factory backed 250 GP squad when he was still in his early 20s. Same with Nicky. When Nicky won the AMA championship is was because of some mis-fortune of others and Miguel's development with the RC51. Mostly, dumb luck earned that Championship. Some of the same can be said about Nicky's GP championship. He raced solid "points" gathering races and bad luck for others helped him. If he'd stayed in the AMA or moved to WSBK for one or two more seasons I think the experience would have helped him become more consistant. It's possible that the results would have been the same as they are now for both of them, but you don't practice to remain the same- you do it to improve your own skills and become even better than you were yesterday.

Last edited by acecycleins : 04-27-2009 at 01:51 PM.
acecycleins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 01:57 PM   #20
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

"LR- the reason for the minors is to develop skills..."

Not for the guys that have the skills in the first place. LeBron James hit the NBA at 18. If he needed to 'develop skills' then he probably wouldn't be the best, and that is what he is. He developed all the skill he needed right where he is at. Hopper just isn't good enough. He rose to the level of his own incompetence.