Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle Racing (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-racing/)
-   -   Spies! Spies! Spies! (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-racing/11113-spies-spies-spies.html)

GSXRWolf 03-15-2009 10:00 AM

Spies! Spies! Spies!
 
Spies! Spies! Spies!

Kenneth_Moore 03-15-2009 10:44 AM

They're everywhere! Cover your cranium with an aluminum-foil cap and unplug all of your appliances, especially the toast-r-oven!

GSXRWolf 03-15-2009 12:28 PM

Spies put in a great performance at Qatar. America should be proud of the young Texan. Go Ben!!!!

mugwump58 03-15-2009 01:10 PM

10 points to KM
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore (Post 207293)
They're everywhere! Cover your cranium with an aluminum-foil cap and unplug all of your appliances, especially the toast-r-oven!

Nice tangent. At least I appreciated it.:D

I feel a little bad for Haga.

Kenneth_Moore 03-15-2009 02:04 PM

What, Me Worry?
 
1 Attachment(s)
Every time I see his name I think:

longride 03-15-2009 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GSXRWolf (Post 207286)
Spies! Spies! Spies!

Mladin thanks God every day that Spies left. He can now be King Shyt again and strut around like the complete a$$hole that he is.

mugwump58 03-15-2009 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longride (Post 207321)
Mladin thanks God every day that Spies left. He can now be King Shyt again and strut around like the complete a$$hole that he is.

I confess to not following AMA racing with the zeal I should have. I recently saw a clip of his heroics on the podium with a trophy girl and a hat swap. Hell of a guy. Yup, complete...

MOKE1K 03-16-2009 05:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GSXRWolf (Post 207305)
Spies put in a great performance at Qatar. America should be proud of the young Texan. Go Ben!!!!

Man this kid is a Machine! I havent gotten to watch the Qatar rounds yet, hopefully they air it tuesday as they usually do? I wonder if the bigbang firing order of the Yamaha is helping tires last beyond what their competetitors tires can. I know watching the last round race once haga's times fell off ben didnt go any faster he just stayed at the same times, hagas tires where just done

acecycleins 03-16-2009 06:45 AM

Mat said two weeks ago that Spies will win the Championship with 3 rds to go. I think he's right.

MOKE1K 03-16-2009 07:05 AM

Race 1 Results
 
Pos. Rider Team Bike Time
1 Ben Spies Yamaha World Superbike Yamaha YZF R1
2 Noriyuki Haga Ducati Xerox Team Ducati 1098R
3 Max Biaggi Aprilia Racing Aprilia RSV4
4 Shinya Nakano Aprilia Racing Aprilia RSV4
5 Carlos Checa HANNspree Ten Kate Honda Honda CBR1000RR
6 Shane Byrne Team Sterilgarda Ducati 1098R
7 Tom Sykes Yamaha World Superbike Yamaha YZF R1
8 Ryuichi Kiyonari Ten Kate Honda Racing Honda CBR1000RR
9 Troy Corser BMW Motorrad Motorsport BMW S1000 RR
10 Regis Laconi DFX Corse Ducati 1098R
11 Leon Haslam Stiggy Racing Honda Honda CBR1000RR
12 Jonathan Rea HANNspree Ten Kate Honda Honda CBR1000RR
13 Ruben Xaus BMW Motorrad Motorsport BMW S1000 RR
14 Broc Parkes Kawasaki World Superbike R.T. Kawasaki ZX 10R
15 Tommy Hill HANNspree Honda Althea Honda CBR1000RR
16 Karl Muggeridge Celani Corse Suzuki GSX-R 1000 K9
17 Luca Scassa
18 David Salom Team Pedercini Kawasaki ZX 10R
19 Matteo Baiocco PSG-1 Corse Kawasaki ZX 10R
20 Vittorio Iannuzzo Squadra Corse Italia Honda

MOKE1K 03-16-2009 07:05 AM

Race Two Results
 
Pos. Rider Team Bike Time
1 Ben Spies Yamaha World Superbike Yamaha YZF R1
2 Noriyuki Haga Ducati Xerox Team Ducati 1098R
3 Max Biaggi Aprilia Racing Aprilia RSV4
4 Ryuichi Kiyonari Ten Kate Honda Racing Honda CBR1000RR
5 Tom Sykes Yamaha World Superbike Yamaha YZF R1
6 Max Neukirchner Suzuki Alstare Suzuki GSX-R 1000 K9
7 Shinya Nakano Aprilia Racing Aprilia RSV4
8 Jonathan Rea HANNspree Ten Kate Honda Honda CBR1000RR
9 Troy Corser BMW Motorrad Motorsport BMW S1000 RR
10 Ruben Xaus BMW Motorrad Motorsport BMW S1000 RR
11 Leon Haslam Stiggy Racing Honda Honda CBR1000RR
12 Shane Byrne Team Sterilgarda Ducati 1098R
13 Carlos Checa HANNspree Ten Kate Honda Honda CBR1000RR
14 Regis Laconi DFX Corse Ducati 1098R
15 Yukio Kagayama Suzuki Alstare Suzuki GSX-R 1000 K9
16 Broc Parkes Kawasaki World Superbike R.T. Kawasaki ZX 10R

longride 03-16-2009 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acecycleins (Post 207359)
Mat said two weeks ago that Spies will win the Championship with 3 rds to go. I think he's right.

I can't figure for the life of me why Ben didn't stay in AMA and win 20 or 30 championships there. Oh that's right, he's actually a real champion! guess he didn't want to be like the greatest Little League baseball player that ever lived. That would be Mat Mladin. :rolleyes:

acecycleins 03-16-2009 10:22 AM

Mat may have won the 1st race, but I think his dominance of AMA Pro Racing is coming to a close. Tommy had a good bike. Larry's bike was great (albeit with a slight TC hiccup). And the Yamaha's and Neil's Honda look strong.
I believe that Mat was praying to the AMA racing God's that Ben could find a ride this season after Suzuki shut him out of GP. He know's that he coudn't consistantly beat the kid. Now, he's the top-dog and everyone was to come out swinging. It was about a second and a half lead wasn't it? The competitors and teammates will get faster. Hope Mat's up for the fight. It'd be nice to see Neil ot Tommy win it all this year.

seruzawa 03-16-2009 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOKE1K (Post 207362)
Pos. Rider Team Bike Time
1 Ben Spies Yamaha World Superbike Yamaha YZF R1
2 Noriyuki Haga Ducati Xerox Team Ducati 1098R
3 Max Biaggi Aprilia Racing Aprilia RSV4
4 Ryuichi Kiyonari Ten Kate Honda Racing Honda CBR1000RR
5 Tom Sykes Yamaha World Superbike Yamaha YZF R1
6 Max Neukirchner Suzuki Alstare Suzuki GSX-R 1000 K9
7 Shinya Nakano Aprilia Racing Aprilia RSV4
8 Jonathan Rea HANNspree Ten Kate Honda Honda CBR1000RR
9 Troy Corser BMW Motorrad Motorsport BMW S1000 RR
10 Ruben Xaus BMW Motorrad Motorsport BMW S1000 RR
11 Leon Haslam Stiggy Racing Honda Honda CBR1000RR
12 Shane Byrne Team Sterilgarda Ducati 1098R
13 Carlos Checa HANNspree Ten Kate Honda Honda CBR1000RR
14 Regis Laconi DFX Corse Ducati 1098R
15 Yukio Kagayama Suzuki Alstare Suzuki GSX-R 1000 K9
16 Broc Parkes Kawasaki World Superbike R.T. Kawasaki ZX 10R

Is Suzuki sorry that they let Spies go yet?

acecycleins 03-16-2009 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seruzawa (Post 207384)
Is Suzuki sorry that they let Spies go yet?

Sweating bullets in in WSBK. Hating life in MotoGP. Could care less in the AMA.

MOKE1K 03-16-2009 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longride (Post 207378)
I can't figure for the life of me why Ben didn't stay in AMA and win 20 or 30 championships there. Oh that's right, he's actually a real champion! guess he didn't want to be like the greatest Little League baseball player that ever lived. That would be Mat Mladin. :rolleyes:

Maybe he got scared back in 94 on the Cagiva. Or maybe hes got the big fish small pound syndrome. Either way he is a good rider, even if hes 53yrs old:eek:

acecycleins 03-16-2009 02:20 PM

Mat can't beat the world. Fact is, I don't think he could compete for Championships in Australian Superbike using their current rules. He's found a home in the AMA (when we were going through a "talent shift") that enabled him to collect a big, fat check from American Suzuki. When he started in the US on the Ducati he couldn't buy a win. He's good. He's a past champion. But if Nicky, Colin, Spies and Hopkins were all here running Superbikes Mat would be Australia's unknown comic. A good racer that finishes in the top five most of the time. But similar to Larry Pegram (my unsung hero friend), unless you follow the sport you wouldn't know who he was on the grid without a caption.

Dr_Sprocket 03-16-2009 03:22 PM

Alas! I was hoping for so much more from Corser, Xaus and the BMW team. Looks like Ben's been doing his homework. I can't tell you how refreshing it is to see more that just the Big 4 on the results board.

12er 03-16-2009 04:05 PM

Go Ben, the boy is throwing it down and taking names.

GSXRWolf 03-16-2009 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acecycleins (Post 207381)
Mat may have won the 1st race, but I think his dominance of AMA Pro Racing is coming to a close. Tommy had a good bike. Larry's bike was great (albeit with a slight TC hiccup). And the Yamaha's and Neil's Honda look strong.
I believe that Mat was praying to the AMA racing God's that Ben could find a ride this season after Suzuki shut him out of GP. He know's that he coudn't consistantly beat the kid. Now, he's the top-dog and everyone was to come out swinging. It was about a second and a half lead wasn't it? The competitors and teammates will get faster. Hope Mat's up for the fight. It'd be nice to see Neil ot Tommy win it all this year.

Mat knows he couldn't beat Ben consistantly? He told you this? I doubt it! No one in the USA can beat Ben consistantly but Mat beat him 11 times in 2008. Ben won 8 races. Unless you count the 2 disqualifications for Mat at VIR. Ben's a quick learner. He beat Mat fair and square in 2006. Mat came back in 2007 and lost the championship by 1 point. What would you do? Pack it in? Mat's got a lot of heart and he came back strong in 2008.

I'll be surprised if anyone can step up and challenge Mat in 2009.
Go Mat! Race anywhere you want to race. If you like kicking butt in the USA, well then, just go ahead and do it!

seruzawa 03-17-2009 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket (Post 207409)
Alas! I was hoping for so much more from Corser, Xaus and the BMW team. Looks like Ben's been doing his homework. I can't tell you how refreshing it is to see more that just the Big 4 on the results board.

So Ducati and Aprilia are chopped liver?

MOKE1K 03-17-2009 08:59 AM

The next set of tracks on the schedual will put Spies to the test for sure. Places like Assen, Donnington, Nurburgring. Kind of wondering after a year in Wsbk and getting to know the tracks what V.Rossi and motogp will hold for Ben Spies?

MOKE1K 03-17-2009 10:50 AM

Man just got finished watching both rounds at Losail, Hagas gotta be asking himself if moving to Ducati was the right choice. Bens controlling the race with a 3sec gap? Simply amazing! Making the big boys look little. Go Ben!

longride 03-17-2009 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GSXRWolf (Post 207436)
Mat knows he couldn't beat Ben consistantly? He told you this? I doubt it!


Of course Mat didn't tell us this, the reality did. Let's look at Spies' record since 2006:

·2008 - Champion - AMA Superbike, with 10 wins and eight additional podiums
·2007 - Champion - AMA Superbike, with seven wins and 12 additional podiums
·2007 - Champion - AMA Superstock, with seven wins
·2006 - Champion - AMA Superbike, with 10 wins and seven additional podiums


Now, please list all the championships Mat has won since 2006 and we can compare. Mat Mladin is nothing but a loser if a real racer stays in AMA. He can only beat has-been's, never-was's, and never-will-bee's. Oh, I forgot to mention he's a complete a$$hat on top of it.

acecycleins 03-17-2009 12:13 PM

Moke- Mat is past his prime. His team doesn't get to play with "special" parts anymore. I've met Mat. I've watched him race for a decade. I've seen enough of him to know that his ability to run fast is limited to the team he's on. Put him on the R1 or the ZX10 and I'd bet steaks he's third or fourth best at that point. I'm not saying he's a quitter, but he's damn well a crybaby when he doesn't get his way. Old rules are gone. Technical advantage is gone. Mat's heart isn't in it anymore. He's become so full of himself that he's barely tolerable. He hates the new rules, but he won't turn down the money. So, do real riders ride (like Nicky taking less to ride the Duc vs the ck he would have gotten for the Parmac seat) for the love and the spirit of the race? Or do they ride for the check (like Mat) and whine because they can't race the way they want- all the while knowing they (he- Mat) couldn't get a seat in ANY other National/International series for similar money or any for that matter?
Mat's here for 1 reason and no other. It's not about racing for the spirit of the race anymore. It's all about the cash. Otherwise, he would have passed on the paycheck this season and sat out in protest like he said he'd do at the end of last season.
Mat's a poser. His heart's cold with racing this season. Other than the money why would he race? He has nothing to prove. He should have stuck to his guns and stayed home. It wasn't pride or even the threat from American Suzuki that he'd violate his contract. He has money. He could afford to sit.

longride 03-17-2009 01:19 PM

"I've met Mat."

I'm sorry.

Dr_Sprocket 03-17-2009 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seruzawa (Post 207464)
So Ducati and Aprilia are chopped liver?

It should have read:

"I can't tell you how refreshing it is to see more than just the Big 4 on the results board."

I'm all for Ducati, Aprilia, BMW or any other manufacturer that wants to step up to the plate. I had a feeling the Aprilia would be good, but wished the BMW would've done better. Oh, well!

MOKE1K 03-17-2009 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acecycleins (Post 207503)
Moke- Mat is past his prime. His team doesn't get to play with "special" parts anymore. I've met Mat. I've watched him race for a decade. I've seen enough of him to know that his ability to run fast is limited to the team he's on. Put him on the R1 or the ZX10 and I'd bet steaks he's third or fourth best at that point. I'm not saying he's a quitter, but he's damn well a crybaby when he doesn't get his way. Old rules are gone. Technical advantage is gone. Mat's heart isn't in it anymore. He's become so full of himself that he's barely tolerable. He hates the new rules, but he won't turn down the money. So, do real riders ride (like Nicky taking less to ride the Duc vs the ck he would have gotten for the Parmac seat) for the love and the spirit of the race? Or do they ride for the check (like Mat) and whine because they can't race the way they want- all the while knowing they (he- Mat) couldn't get a seat in ANY other National/International series for similar money or any for that matter?
Mat's here for 1 reason and no other. It's not about racing for the spirit of the race anymore. It's all about the cash. Otherwise, he would have passed on the paycheck this season and sat out in protest like he said he'd do at the end of last season.
Mat's a poser. His heart's cold with racing this season. Other than the money why would he race? He has nothing to prove. He should have stuck to his guns and stayed home. It wasn't pride or even the threat from American Suzuki that he'd violate his contract. He has money. He could afford to sit.


Hey Ace, its not like I dont appreciate your insight into Mat Mladin and Iam glad that your so close to the action so to speak, but isn't this Thread about Ben Spies?

I mean if you want my opinion theres alot of assholes in racing
thats nothing new. Only time will tell how well he does, or doesn't do. Personally I think hes out just to win under the new regime and rub it in their face. Who knows, who cares I just want to see em race!

MOKE1K 03-17-2009 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket (Post 207527)
It should have read:

"I can't tell you how refreshing it is to see more than just the Big 4 on the results board."

I'm all for Ducati, Aprilia, BMW or any other manufacturer that wants to step up to the plate. I had a feeling the Aprilia would be good, but wished the BMW would've done better. Oh, well!

Saw Corser running strong in the 2nd round in 4th place?


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:04 PM.