Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Events & Racing > Motorcycle Racing

Old 02-28-2009, 07:13 PM   #1
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Default 2009 Daytona 200

The race is scheduled at 8:00 pm Friday, 3/6. There are Editors and several MoFos who seem to be up to speed on the racing scene around here. I've been scanning my magazines and the 'net, but I haven't found a good briefing on what to watch for this year. Would those of you who are "in the know" be so kind as to fill those of us who are going in on:

Who's racing, or least who are the big names and contenders?

What bikes are going to be on the track? I believe we'll see some new players won't we? Buell, BMW, et. al.?

Any interesting rules? You know, like when HD managed to stack the deck in their favor for a decade and still lost?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-28-2009, 07:42 PM   #2
sfcdjevans
Registered Member

Young Hayden has been "excused", I think that's the term.

You've ID'd a problem. I recognize almost all the names in WSBK, definetly all the names in MotoGp yet I know little or nothing about the AMA guys. I let RRW lapse and pretty much get all my info via the net. I'm sure there is a site out there that covers the AMA Road Racing, perhaps I should look. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to subscribe ala' Dorna or WSBK? Well I'm blaming everything on DMG anyway, whether it's their fault or not, cause I'm lazy.

MOKE1K to the courtesy phone please
Old 02-28-2009, 08:37 PM   #3
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
The race is scheduled at 8:00 pm Friday, 3/6. There are Editors and several MoFos who seem to be up to speed on the racing scene around here. I've been scanning my magazines and the 'net, but I haven't found a good briefing on what to watch for this year. Would those of you who are "in the know" be so kind as to fill those of us who are going in on:

Who's racing, or least who are the big names and contenders?

What bikes are going to be on the track? I believe we'll see some new players won't we? Buell, BMW, et. al.?

Any interesting rules? You know, like when HD managed to stack the deck in their favor for a decade and still lost?

Thanks!

Dude? SuperBikePlanet.com | The Place Where Riders Learn They've Been Sacked
Old 02-28-2009, 08:49 PM   #4
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Pretty much most of the same names you might be familiar with. Some have switched teams and brands but relatively the same people. The exciting part for me would be the rule changes, classes and overall DMG.
Old 03-01-2009, 06:40 PM   #5
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Default Throw Me a Frinkin Bone Here...Need the Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKE1K View Post
The exciting part for me would be the rule changes, classes and overall DMG.
Thanks for the Planet of the Super Bikes link. I was able to dig up some articles on how they're going to use "electricity" to light the track so they can race after dark. And a gripping article on how you can ride your bike around the track a couple of times for $40 on Thursday night (I think the FLH's will fall over on the banking).

BUT, having said that, yeah: the exciting part for me would be the rule changes, classes, the DMG. And what about the new teams racing Bools and Bimmers? And KTM and 'Prilla, aren't they showing up for the race?

This used to be THE motorcycle race of the year. It was like the Super Bowl, you could win everything else, but if you didn't win at Daytona, you were'nt doo doo. Now it's like a secret or something.

Mr. Duke, is MO planning coverage of the 200? Is it too late for you guys to put a briefing together so I can blurt out "insider" comments in the stands during the race to impress the chicks?

BTW: For the cost of a rental 1972 Caddy El Dorado and a few grand in attorney fees, I'm willing to fax in "Fear and Loathing at the Daytona 200" sometime in April. I know I have a can of ether somewhere in the garage...
Old 03-01-2009, 08:19 PM   #6
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
Thanks for the Planet of the Super Bikes link. I was able to dig up some articles on how they're going to use "electricity" to light the track so they can race after dark. And a gripping article on how you can ride your bike around the track a couple of times for $40 on Thursday night (I think the FLH's will fall over on the banking).

BUT, having said that, yeah: the exciting part for me would be the rule changes, classes, the DMG. And what about the new teams racing Bools and Bimmers? And KTM and 'Prilla, aren't they showing up for the race?

This used to be THE motorcycle race of the year. It was like the Super Bowl, you could win everything else, but if you didn't win at Daytona, you were'nt doo doo. Now it's like a secret or something.

Mr. Duke, is MO planning coverage of the 200? Is it too late for you guys to put a briefing together so I can blurt out "insider" comments in the stands during the race to impress the chicks?

BTW: For the cost of a rental 1972 Caddy El Dorado and a few grand in attorney fees, I'm willing to fax in "Fear and Loathing at the Daytona 200" sometime in April. I know I have a can of ether somewhere in the garage...
Maybe you can Twitter for us.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 05:59 AM   #7
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzglyd View Post
Maybe you can Twitter for us.
Wow, that's an obscure one. I had to look it up!
Old 03-02-2009, 06:15 AM   #8
acecycleins
Founding Member

American Honda is Corona Honda- Neil Hodgeson
Rockstar Suzuki is the same- Mat, Tommy and Blake Young (replaced Spies)
Monster Kawi is Monster Attack Kawi- RL Hayden, The Hacker (on 600's)
Jordan- Yates and May (National Guard bike)
Ducati- Larry Pegram superbike only
Yamaha- B Bostrom, J Herrin, J Hayes and one more kid
Aprilia have two teams with first class B listers (one superbike, one Daytona)
Buell has Barney and Eslick and a few others B listers
Picotte Suzuki is fielding Miguel on a private bike one off deal
Those are the important guys. Kawi will not field a Superbike team, but RL, and Hacker are better on the 600s anyway.

Last edited by acecycleins : 03-02-2009 at 06:20 AM.
acecycleins is offline   Reply With Quote