Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Events & Racing > Motorcycle Racing

Old 11-25-2008, 01:17 PM   #11
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
If the AMA Superbike race at Miller's is any indication the series was on serious life support. Superbike and Supersport were total Z-fests.. just a parade going round and round. The crowning point was when I learned that if Mladin crashes the entire race is stopped until he can get his bike going again. WTF?

The 125GP race that day was far more entertaining than the literbike bore-fests. I'll take Flattrack or Supermotard any day (and twice on Sunday) over the supremely boring AMA Suzuki show.

The racing series should allow bikes based on the amount of air the engine pumps, like they do at the drags. This would allow Triumph's 675s to run. Of course it's no mystery why the Big4 don't want Triumph anywhere near the same track.

So what changes do you think need to be made to help the Superbike class attract more spectators? What would you do
and what changes would help it?

Yes, deffinatly wish they would allow the 675 in the 600supersport class that would be a good change.

Everyone knows the 125'z kickarse and the racing is always the closest by far, not saying anything new there.
So what did the other 14 people (or was it 19)think of the races at Miller this year? Did they or you watch the World Superbike races, or was there even less people in attendance for that event also?

Last edited by MOKE1K : 11-25-2008 at 01:25 PM.
MOKE1K is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-25-2008, 01:29 PM   #12
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Putting a stop to the two-man Suzuki parade would be a start. To have one guy, and now two, run away from the pack each and every race gets REALLY old after one year, much less eight. Changes are made in most racing circles to allow everyone to be competitive no matter what they ride. Close racing with lots of different winners is the way to go. I tired of the Suzuki parade so long ago I can't remember when I actually watched a full Superbike race.
Old 11-25-2008, 01:35 PM   #13
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKE1K View Post
So what changes do you think need to be made to help the Superbike class attract more spectators? What would you do
and what changes would help it?

Yes, deffinatly wish they would allow the 675 in the 600supersport class that would be a good change.

Everyone knows the 125'z kickarse and the racing is always the closest by far, not saying anything new there.
So what did the other 14 people think of the races at Miller this year? Did they stay aswell for the World Superbike races, or was there even less people attendance for that event also?
There looked to be a couple thousand people there but that was last year. I swore I wouldn't waste my time with another AMA road race until they cured the boredom.

I think they are going the right way by trying to get more people competing. The SS series is so ridiculous that all the bikes have the exact same bore and stroke. Bringing in V-twins can only improve it. Of course the need to get more privateers involved goes against the big manufacturers' desire fix the races for themselves. I'm sure they were pretty happy with the old way. Each got a virtually guaranteed championship each year.

I think the key in racing is to make it so that as many people as possible can compete. This means
Old 11-25-2008, 01:57 PM   #14
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

I recall some really awesome races at Daytona not that long ago, when Duhamel and Mladin were going at it lap after lap. And HD's last days in the game with Chris Carr. I haven't gone the last couple of years...but I will again.

It is important that the rules go back to their longstanding tradition of being completely rigged in favor of HD. That's the real problem these days.
Old 11-25-2008, 02:53 PM   #15
acecycleins
Founding Member

Default LR's a hater and it's OK- say it with me- it's ok

We spent the last seven years watching the Suzuki Cup. It's over. Time to move on. Now, DMG gets creative and there's still hate. So the following is straight from ME. No reliable source. Just me writing and watching this craziness unfold through out the year.
1- we know Yamaha and Ducati are in.
2- Suzuki's factory connection with the AMA is over. They already said they don't want to play and are willing to pay Mat to sit on his a$$ to prove they hate, too.
3- Kawi (dragging American Honda kicking and screaming) are pi$$ed because they use custom tanks to lower center of gravity and allow a race distance of 100miles. Funny thing is- there will be NO 100 mile races (with exception of the 200). They are all 50 mile races, so why are they b!tching. Everyone will live with the same rules.
4- American Honda has Hodgeson signed. They ain't payin' him to sit like Mat. He's already tested tires for 2009. So, Monday expect Honda to announce they are in.
5- We return to Kawi. RL and Hacker are racers. Kawi has a major US market and even though they are pitching a baby temper tantrum they will announce by the second week of Dec.

So, why the weird line-ups? Contingency money. Even though the odds are pretty good that none of the kids riding Supersport bikes will choose the oddities of racing it allows the privateer to pick a bike that may pay on the back end of the race. Pretty clever really. I can certainly see the odd kid out there on a Buell. It's about the only affordable oddity in the bunch, but seeing some flat-track kid show up on a SuperDuke would be great. The American SportBike class (like FX) is the melding of all for the benefit of the overall show. Race what you brung- sort of. Lots of contingency money, decent purse and more TV time.
Our bonus- getting Hayes on the R1 and Ben back to Superbike. Eric may be growing Mangos and we'll miss him, but the paddock could use a break from Mat. Other than that, who's signing DuHamel? I haven't seen his name pop up yet. I imagine that Jordan will race with Ducati or Yamaha- prefer Yam. And Erion may be looking for bikes, but I stand by my Honda statement. In the end, we get racing and you get my convoluted explaination of how I see racing in 2009 out of the ashes of 2008.
Old 11-25-2008, 05:50 PM   #16
sfcdjevans
Registered Member

Default And then...

And then all they need to do is put it on the interweb, like WSBK and MotoGp. Why? So I will pay them money to watch. I've seen the schedule vs the work schedule and I'm down to 1, talk to my supervisor. Sorry no TV and I don't watch races after their over, I'm spoiled that way. Couldn't even put up with WSBK and their North American black out till Tuesday. As much as I pissed and moaned about DMG I say let's see it play out. Sorry Suzuki, well not really.

A note on Suzuki:Move To Buy Back GM Share Holdings Behind Suzuki Racing Cutbacks News Article // RoadracingWorld.com

Last edited by sfcdjevans : 11-25-2008 at 06:44 PM. Reason: Look what I found!
sfcdjevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 05:39 AM   #17
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

If telling the truth is hatin' I'm all for it. AMA racing sucked and pretty much everyone knew it. All their other racing types such ad drag racing and flattrack had rules changes to accomidate other makes and make the racing more even, and it got way more popular. Not so for Superbike. They needed to wait all these years and bore everyone to tears. I love this statement:
"....but the paddock could use a break from Mat."

I agree. A permenent break would be the best. It doesn't help a racing series when your multi-time champ is a raging a$$hole.
Old 11-26-2008, 08:06 AM   #18
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
If telling the truth is hatin' I'm all for it. AMA racing sucked and pretty much everyone knew it. All their other racing types such ad drag racing and flattrack had rules changes to accomidate other makes and make the racing more even, and it got way more popular. Not so for Superbike. They needed to wait all these years and bore everyone to tears. I love this statement:
"....but the paddock could use a break from Mat."

I agree. A permenent break would be the best. It doesn't help a racing series when your multi-time champ is a raging a$$hole.
I'll be happy if all they do is get rid of the rule that stops the race when Mladin lays 'er down.
Old 11-26-2008, 08:18 AM   #19
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
I'll be happy if all they do is get rid of the rule that stops the race when Mladin lays 'er down.

He only does that when he has to stop quickly.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 09:35 AM   #20
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
Putting a stop to the two-man Suzuki parade would be a start. To have one guy, and now two, run away from the pack each and every race gets REALLY old after one year, much less eight. Changes are made in most racing circles to allow everyone to be competitive no matter what they ride. Close racing with lots of different winners is the way to go. I tired of the Suzuki parade so long ago I can't remember when I actually watched a full Superbike race.
Why is Suzuki so good? What do they have that the other manufacturers don't?