Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle and Product Reviews > Motorcycle Product Review

Old 09-09-2008, 09:02 AM   #1
pushrod
Founding Member

Default Sympatex® Explorer II Boot from Triumph

After 'shopping' for way too long, I finally got some honest-to-gosh riding boots. I've been wearing 'chukka' style and hiking boots for years, and even though my Rockport chukkas protected my feet and ankles when I had my wreck, I've always wanted something "more better."

Living in an area that lacks any sizable motorcycle dealerships, I could only look at the various options in magazines or online. However, occasionally I'd visit stores when I was on travel, and got to see and try on several different boots.

One that caught my eye while surfing the 'Web was the Expedition (now Expedition II) from Triumph. It looked to be the stuff! I resolved to check them out when I next hit a Triumph store.

However, when I found the Expedition (at the Dealership in Clinton, MD. A very nice shop, with a good selection of various clothing and helmets), it was not what I wanted. Too big, too "Buff". You see, I wanted a boot that I could wear on my commute and keep on at the office, but one that was 'beefy' enough for the road. It regularly gets 'Ethiopia Hot' here, so a breathable, rainproof boot was required.

Well, right under the Expedition was the Explorer II. They had my size in stock, so I tried a pair on. They were too tight. And, the store didn't have the next size up. But, the boot felt pretty good in the foot, and the height was good. Also, it fits under jeans nicely.

Well, I finally got a pair that fit. I wear a 9-1/2 or 10, and I have a wide foot and high arch. The size for me was a 43 (Euro) . IIRC, that is marked as a 10-1/2(US). They fit perfectly with athletic socks. Not to repeat the features below, I'll only add that there is a Velcro strap across the bridge of the foot, and the top of the boot tube features a large Velcro patch. They are very comfortable to walk around in, and they do not get hot on the bike.

There is a 'shifter pad' on both boot toes, apparently to cover riders of both old and new Triumphs.

MSRP is $169, but I've seen them for quite a bit less. One Dealership had a pair for $100, but not in my size.

They come in any color you may want, as long as it's Black.

Check 'em out!

Waterproof, breathable and windproof
Leather and nubuck construction
Gear change protector
Ankle and heel guards
Velcro fastening
3M® night reflective panel
Non slip rubber sole
Available in ladies sizes

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote