Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle Product Review (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-product-review/)
-   -   Schuberth C3 (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-product-review/21017-schuberth-c3.html)

jmdonald 05-28-2013 12:57 PM

Schuberth C3

After 16 years of wedded bliss my wife announced she would like to start riding two up with me. She has never been interested in riding before (or so I thought) and being the princess that I know her to be never pushed the issue. I suggested we get her a helmet and try a short ride or two. To my surprise the local Ducat/Triumph dealer in Newport has a sale on Schuberth C3's. Not only did I buy her one I got one or myself. The two helmet price was $450.00 each. About a $300.00 discount. I have never seen the price on this model that low. I have always wanted a Schuberth but did not want to pay the premium. Even with the discount they aren't cheap. It is super light and has a drop down sun visor incorporated in the shell. I will be taking it on a shakedown cruise later today or tomorrow. A com system can also be added that includes Bluetooth. I may add that feature later on. I'll know more about how quiet the thing is after a ride or two. It fits perfectly.

Buzglyd 05-28-2013 01:23 PM

See if they'll give you the new internal liner from the C3Pro.

I had two C3s and had to return them. The intense pressure on the forehead sparked dozens of complaints and led to a re-design of the product.

Great build quality and super quiet. I couldn't hear a thing other than my screams of pain.

I have a more oval head rather than round.

The Spaceman 05-28-2013 03:37 PM

They got top ranking in this months Cycle World modular helmet review. And they were by far the most expensive. Surprising you got such s deal on them, they only very recently reentered th US market.

jmdonald 05-28-2013 04:02 PM

Shakedown report.

I could not wait until tomorrow for the shakedown, I had to ride today. This helmet is light years ahead of my Arai. The venting is damn near perfect. They also use a double glazing technology that virtually eliminates fogging. On a warm day like today my Arai would cloud up a bit even with anti-fog on. The chinstrap fastener system leaves the antiquated double d-ring system on the Arai in the dust. The first thing I noticed was the quiet. I rode through my favorite canyons and looped back via the toll road. Everything from a little city riding, big sweepers, tight curves and long straights at all speeds. This helmet is perfect. The lining feels fine to me so I don't thing I'll have a problem with it. I wasn't in the market for a new helmet but my wife's sudden desire to ride two up prompted me to look at a holiday marketing email that had the helmets on it. I am very lucky to have gotten them at that price. Good fortune seldom smiles on me like this. I more often than not end up paying normal retail. The sales guy said Schuberth was running an exclusive promotion through Ducati/Triumph Newport. Now if I can only get Triumph UK to sell me a Tiger Sport there will be no stopping me. I highly recommend Schuberth Helmets.

Buzglyd 05-28-2013 05:23 PM

Do they have the C3 Pro as well?

I loved the helmet. My head didn't though.

jmdonald 05-28-2013 06:19 PM

I believe so.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzglyd (Post 281836)
Do they have the C3 Pro as well?

I loved the helmet. My head didn't though.

I think they have the pro. The sale is for the C3 and C3w through tomorrow. Maybe they are trying to get rid of them.

The Spaceman 05-29-2013 07:46 AM

I found C3's on Revzilla for $499 plus shipping. This is the previous generation model, apparently the Pro is the new design.
Schuberth C3 Pro: a better flip-front | RideApart

Like you, once I used Nolan's Microlock retention system, the "D" ring setup looked primitive. With Microlock you adjust the general length of the strap once, and from then on it's just a matter of sliding the tab into the clip. You've still got an inch or two of adjustment to play with depending on how snug you want it to fit. The only downside is you can't use typical bike helmet locks that rely on the D ring.

jmdonald 05-29-2013 08:07 AM

Exactly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Spaceman (Post 281844)
I found C3's on Revzilla for $499 plus shipping. This is the previous generation model, apparently the Pro is the new design.
Schuberth C3 Pro: a better flip-front | RideApart

Like you, once I used Nolan's Microlock retention system, the "D" ring setup looked primitive. With Microlock you adjust the general length of the strap once, and from then on it's just a matter of sliding the tab into the clip. You've still got an inch or two of adjustment to play with depending on how snug you want it to fit. The only downside is you can't use typical bike helmet locks that rely on the D ring.

I liken geering up for a motorcycle ride to geering up to scuba dive. Everything is put on or attached in the proper sequence. I.E. gloves go on last. I knew of quick release adapters for d ring fasteners but felt it was not worth the cost for a minor inconvenience. My roadster has a helmet lock on the side of the bike and the d ring attaches it. I won't be able to use it with the new one. I also have no problem using previous generation items especially if the work and the difference in design is not so revolutionary that going with the new gen is a no-brainier. Luckily the new helmet fits perfectly. Who says I'm not lucky.

pushrod 05-29-2013 09:00 AM

If you want the wedded bliss to continue, I'd suggest you hold off on the purchase of an intercomm system!

trenttheuncatchable 05-29-2013 09:25 AM

Competition Accessories has the same sale, until May 31st: $499 for one, two for $899 when you order by phone. Schuberth C3 Modular Helmets, Schuberth C3W, C3 Modular Helmet - Compacc