Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle and Product Reviews > Motorcycle Product Review

Old 04-04-2013, 11:35 AM   #1
The Spaceman
Registered Member

Default Technic Supervent Mesh Jacket

The mesh jacket I've been wearing the past few years (a CycleGear unit) was getting pretty ragged, so I started looking around for a replacment. Plus the old one is Suzuki blue, and I need Honda red.

Materials and construction appear to be top-notch. The fabric is 50% heavier than the CycleGear jacket. The zippers are YKK, which I gather is the zipper of discerning fashionistas. There are velcro flaps to cover the zipper at the top and bottom, avoiding a flapping zipper end as well as scratches on the tank paint.

The jacket has molded "Batman muscles" on the front that look pretty spiffy. The back has a molded "Mutant Ninja Turtle" spine that's also pretty neat. There's a few more badges and adverts than I'd prefer, but not enough to be obnoxious. The arms have tabs and snaps to tighten the fabric. There's a velcro belt on each side to snug up the bottom, and a velcro tab at the neck to close the top. A waterproof liner is included that snaps and velcros in. The liner compresses nicely to fit under the seat.

Calling it "MegaVent" is actually accurate. Air flows freely through the jacket under way. That, combined with the reflection of the sun from the bright white and red fabric creates effective cooling.

The local dealer had the jacket for $180. I thought I'd save some bucks buying it on line, but even with the online discounts, (around $170) by the time shipping was added the store price was the same.

Supervent Mesh Jacket | Textile Jackets & Pants

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-04-2013, 07:36 PM   #2
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Got a seam-ripper and thread scissors? That will take care of the "de-badging".

I do that with the gaudy-ass batting gloves I use for Driving Gloves. Great gloves (cost about a tenth of, and are better-fit than "real" driving gloves), terrible crap sewn all over 'em.

You cannot even tell where the emblem was when you're done, if you do it right.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 05:51 AM   #3
The Spaceman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
Got a seam-ripper and thread scissors? That will take care of the "de-badging".

I do that with the gaudy-ass batting gloves I use for Driving Gloves. Great gloves (cost about a tenth of, and are better-fit than "real" driving gloves), terrible crap sewn all over 'em.

You cannot even tell where the emblem was when you're done, if you do it right.
Hmmm....you may have something there. I'll see if the logos are sewn on or stitched in.

So...what is the Towa of Powa? It looks sorta like a home-made manometer the guys make to synchronize their throttle bodies and/or carbs. Or is it some sort of exercise machine? Giant weird sex toy maybe?
Old 04-05-2013, 07:33 AM   #4
trenttheuncatchable
Founding Member

Nice jacket. I love my Icon Timax 2 vented textile. It's very light and flows a lot of air. I wish they still made it.
the days ...
trenttheuncatchable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:37 AM   #5
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spaceman View Post
So...what is the Towa of Powa? It looks sorta like a home-made manometer the guys make to synchronize their throttle bodies and/or carbs. Or is it some sort of exercise machine? Giant weird sex toy maybe?
Uh, that's The Affordable Health Care Act, otherwise known as "Obamacare", printed-off and stacked next to an empty chair.

All 7' 2-1/2", 28,000+ (And Counting!) pages of it....

If that's not POWER, ain't nothin' on Gaia's Green Earth is.

Anyway, back to the subject at hand. I just took a look at the piktarz, you're probably stuck with the "Teknic" if it looks just like those. That appears to be embroidery, and the machines that do that make like eleventy-billion holes in the fabric with superfine thread - you'll only have a mess if you try to remove it. You might be able to ditch the shoulder and collar emblems - THOSE look like patches. But the "big ones" I imagine you're stuck with it. Not really such a bad thing, at least it doesn't say "Harley Davidson".
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...

Last edited by The_AirHawk : 04-05-2013 at 07:45 AM.
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:25 AM   #6
The Spaceman
Registered Member

A printout of Obamacare, huh? I'd say its about equal to the paperwork generated by the insurance company, doctors, and the hospital for my broken hip. And a stack of $100 bills that size would just about match the cost.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:57 AM   #7
jmdonald
Founding Member

Default Beauty

Quote:
A printout of Obamacare, huh? I'd say its about equal to the paperwork generated by the insurance company, doctors, and the hospital for my broken hip. And a stack of $100 bills that size would just about match the cost.
That is the beauty that is government regulation. Over complicate and regulate so the cost skyrockets. It's ok though because even people who don't want insurance will now get to pay for it and the bureaucrats will have their finger in all of it. It's for the children.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:41 PM   #8
The Spaceman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdonald View Post
That is the beauty that is government regulation. Over complicate and regulate so the cost skyrockets. It's ok though because even people who don't want insurance will now get to pay for it and the bureaucrats will have their finger in all of it. It's for the children.
Consider this:
The medical-industrial complex has cleverly managed to change the focus of attention to WHO pays for health care, versus HOW MUCH.

There's an excellent article in Time done by a researcher who dug into 8 typical American's experience with the system. These were people with and without insurance, minor to major problems. He "followed the money," and it was revealing.

"Nonprofit" hospitals are raking in profit margins that beat private corporation's by 15-20%. Hospital administrators are making hedge-fund salaries in the millions per year. The pricing structure could not be justified by any of the administrators interviewed. It went on an on. The worst conclusion: even though we pay more BY FAR than any other nation in the world, our healthcare outcome is way down compared to other industrialized nations.

You can blame it all on the government if you want, but I think they're just a part of the problem. I think the medical industry has become a virtual monopoly with no real competition and a completely captive market.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:54 PM   #9
jmdonald
Founding Member

Default You are right.

Quote:
Consider this:
The medical-industrial complex has cleverly managed to change the focus of attention to WHO pays for health care, versus HOW MUCH.

There's an excellent article in Time done by a researcher who dug into 8 typical American's experience with the system. These were people with and without insurance, minor to major problems. He "followed the money," and it was revealing.

"Nonprofit" hospitals are raking in profit margins that beat private corporation's by 15-20%. Hospital administrators are making hedge-fund salaries in the millions per year. The pricing structure could not be justified by any of the administrators interviewed. It went on an on. The worst conclusion: even though we pay more BY FAR than any other nation in the world, our healthcare outcome is way down compared to other industrialized nations.

You can blame it all on the government if you want, but I think they're just a part of the problem. I think the medical industry has become a virtual monopoly with no real competition and a completely captive market.
Non-Profit is a scam. Health care costs are kept artificially high by all those involved. Why? It's all about the money. Real free market dynamics keep that Shyte in check. This is a manifestation of crony capitalism.
Old 04-05-2013, 01:16 PM   #10
The Spaceman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdonald View Post
This is a manifestation of crony capitalism.
That's the second time I've heard "crony-capitalism" this week. The first time was in a discussion on the government bailout of Goldman-Sachs and JP Morgan in 08. The speaker said it was a classic example of crony-capitalism, where success is rewarded and failure is covered by the taxpayer. He said that when the "financial collapse" was going down, there was a virtual coup de etat by the Fed and the investment bankers, who bullied Bush into getting us to eat their losses.