Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle and Product Reviews > Motorcycle Product Review

Old 07-19-2010, 08:38 PM   #1
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool Would you buy one?

Ever get tired of paying someone to change your tires? Fortunately Iv worked in dealers and it's always been one of those extra added bonuses to working in a dealer. Along with the tent, generator, and fans borrowed for race after race:J Well since Iv been away from the dealerships it time. After a while the cost adds up and eventually one of these babies will pay for itself. Unless of course your Sarnali2, he usually just pops the bead with his bare hands and then busts out the tire irons.Besides that it's a good excuse to drink beer with your buddies.

No-Mar: Scratch Proof Wheel Locking System, Beats Coats 220 - Safe for Carbon Fiber Wheels.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-19-2010, 08:48 PM   #2
tripleripple
Founding Member

Location: Lightly Fortified Compound (apartment): Chicago, IL

Me and some friends were gonna go splitsies on one, then we found a guy down the street who has a changer and will do it for some beer. We always have beer, so it's a pretty good arrangement. One of these days I'll probably just get one.
tripleripple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 10:13 PM   #3
ejis
Founding Member

Chuck Norris once changed a tire with a single roundhouse kick. After that, the tires changed themselves.
ejis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 06:22 AM   #4
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

A lot of the guys on Stromtrooper get this unit from Harbor Freight:

Portable Tire Changer

Not bad for $50; it pays for itself pretty quickly. You still need a balancer to go with it.
Old 07-20-2010, 06:37 AM   #5
acecycleins
Founding Member

The No Mar works. I have a couple of customers that went in on one and they are the rage of the riding neighborhood. My biggest issue is the tire balancer. Not that old school doesn't work, but with modern hi-pro tires I think i prefer the electronic high speed balancing.
Old 07-20-2010, 06:54 AM   #6
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Iv always used gravity type balancers specially for racing. You should never worry about having to use anything but. The only thing out of balance is the tire. I have the one that doubles as a truing stand and Iv been balancing my tire this way since 1993 when I got it. Iv heard great things about no mar besides I also have the BST carbon fiber rims. Iv changed them on the coats and witnessed the rim flex once she's clamped on, scary to say the least.
Old 07-20-2010, 06:55 AM   #7
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acecycleins View Post
The No Mar works. I have a couple of customers that went in on one and they are the rage of the riding neighborhood. My biggest issue is the tire balancer. Not that old school doesn't work, but with modern hi-pro tires I think i prefer the electronic high speed balancing.
Exactly how fast do you intend to go? I've got a Marc Parnes portable that can balance a tire within a few grams - it's just a hardened shaft, two precision roller-bearings (mounted in a couple of special fixtures), and a set of matched cone-adapters.

Prior to getting that from The Wife for my birthday, I didn't balance tires at all, as seldom did I put the bike over the Ton, with the bulk of mph spent making mpg at 35-60.....
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 07:32 AM   #8
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
Exactly how fast do you intend to go? I've got a Marc Parnes portable that can balance a tire within a few grams - it's just a hardened shaft, two precision roller-bearings (mounted in a couple of special fixtures), and a set of matched cone-adapters.

Prior to getting that from The Wife for my birthday, I didn't balance tires at all, as seldom did I put the bike over the Ton, with the bulk of mph spent making mpg at 35-60.....

I guess you could go without balancing if your not going over 60mph. So you've never had even the slightest wobble or hop when you took it over that speed?
Old 07-20-2010, 07:40 AM   #9
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

I take the wheels off and take them to Cycle Gear, if you buy the tires there it's like $11.00 to mount and balance them....

I've used everything from a vice to a brake press to a hammer and a 2x4 to jumping up and down on them to break beads, never tried my bare hands though...........

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 09:37 AM   #10
MOKE1K
Registered Member

You should'a just stuck with the story:J