Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle and Product Reviews > Motorcycle Product Review

Old 11-24-2009, 10:44 AM   #1
Pat Chamberlin II
Registered Member

Default Bridgestones BT-021

Just got my first good impression of the BT-021 tires this weekend. They stuck pretty good for some nice sweepers especially considering the temps were in the 40-50s. Let em warm up for a bit and then started working em over. Had a good feel and was sticky enough to get me real close to layin right on edge without much wander or slip through the turn. Yanking the front end up wasn't a concern either no spin out. Was a little concerned with the sport touring monicker that they would not have as much traction as some of the other brands I have tried on. I am looking forward to the improved wear rates but will see when summer hits again and I get on some good tears with some 90+ degree ashpalt under me. Has anyone had any experience with these tires. Was planning on the BT-016s but got these for mileage instead.
Pat Chamberlin II is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-24-2009, 11:51 AM   #2
seruzawa
The Toad

You need a better marketing plan than this.
Old 11-24-2009, 12:20 PM   #3
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Yeah I was running the BT-021's, but didn't get the feel I felt I needed when I was dragging knee through the on-ramps. Went with the CONTINENTAL CONTI ROAD-ATTACK' they're nearly slicks with just enough tread to spooge out the water when it rains. The CONTINENTAL TIRES CONTI ROAD ATTACK buns are sticky, especially for a fairly high-mileage sport touring ride. I'm not in the business of selling tires, but I will say I'm very pleased with CONTINENTAL ROAD ATTACK TIRES NOW ON SALE AT CYCLEGEAR.COM!
Old 11-24-2009, 03:13 PM   #4
pushrod
Founding Member

The BT-21 on the front of a Sprint ST tends to cup rather badly...

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 10:43 AM   #5
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

I've never had any luck with Bridgestones, fast wear and cupping were the norm. Except of course for the Bridgestone Mag Mopus tires stock on my '80 KZ750 which being made out of the same compound as space shuttle tiles showed very little wear, of course they showed very little traction as well but that's not the point....

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 12:13 PM   #6
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
I've never had any luck with Bridgestones, .
Well, now that you mention it, the Bridgestone TrailWings that are OEM on the VStroms are known as "DeathWings" on the bike websites. They are notorious for being extremely bad in wet weather, and having truck-tire like handling characteristics. The rear on my bike did ok, it lasted about 10k miles, but the front picked up a wobble after about 6k miles that lasted until I replaced it with my CONTINENTAL TIRES CONTIROAD ATTACK tires purchased from the great people at CYCLE GEAR (Cycle Gear - Motorcycle Apparel, Parts and Accessories OR VISIT YOUR NEIGHBORHOOD RETAILER TODAY!). The difference in handling going from the DeathWing to the CONTINENTAL TIRES CONTIROAD ATTACK was astounding; it felt like I'd purchased a new sportbike.
Old 11-25-2009, 12:46 PM   #7
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
which being made out of the same compound as space shuttle tiles showed very little wear, of course they showed very little traction as well but that's not the point....
Just a sidenote, when I worked at KSC the "Tile Weenies" would save broken Shuttle tiles and hand them out for souvineers. The material is weird...it's light as Styrofoam, hard feeling if you tap it, but if you pushed your fingernail into it, it would easily cut right into it.

When the first Shuttle was flown out to KSC from Palmdale, CA, most of the tiles fell off. What remained was completely suspect, and nobody could figure out a good way to test the tiles to see if they were stuck on well without destroying the tile in the process. The tiles are not cheap, each one of them is completely unique, and CNC machined into shape. One of the Tile Weenies finally figured it out: when the tiles were falling off Columbia on the way to FL; they stopped along the way and missle-taped (duct tape) the vehicle to try to save what was left. Cleaning off the tape took months of labor. The Tile Weenie suggested taking a strip of missle tape, sticking part of it on the tile, then attaching the strain guage to the other end of the tape. It worked great; they could pull really hard on the tile without breaking it, and then gently peel the tape back off when done testing. You're probably wondering what exotic material they used to attach the tiles: Room Temperature Vulcanizer. Also known as silicone sealant.

Last edited by Kenneth_Moore : 11-25-2009 at 12:54 PM.
Kenneth_Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 07:45 AM   #8
Pat Chamberlin II
Registered Member

Default Thanks

I appreciate the input. The stones have a bad rap at a local shop as well but so far I am still not passing judgement until I burn through my own set. Unfortunately I haven't had a front on that didn't cup by the time I got them off. Had Dunlops on first and they worked well but wanted to try the Bridgestone brand out. I like the multi layer compound construction of the tire and hope to get 5000 miles out of them but doubt the back will make it past 2000. Ideally I would like to get a performance set ready for track use.
I haven't pushed these real hard yet but got them close to full lean and feel that the control and traction is pretty good. For moderate riding to beginning riders I would recommend the BT-021 for sure. They wheelie pretty good too

Last edited by Pat Chamberlin II : 12-01-2009 at 07:52 AM.
Pat Chamberlin II is offline   Reply With Quote