Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Multimedia > Motorcycle Pictures

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2008, 08:49 PM   #11
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator
 
sachiwilson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,609
Default

Cars ain't no challenge. Nor fun neither.

I've had some memorable rides in the rain! One over Swauk Pass in late March comes to mind -- man that was wet. Cold too, but fun!
__________________
Frappé LaRue
*Safety Queen*
Are you a Rounder?

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-30-2008, 05:36 PM   #12
seruzawa
The Toad

 
seruzawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: 8501 ft.
Posts: 17,461
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKE1K View Post
HOLLY FROSTBITE BATMAN? You aint scared, are ya. My blood must be too thin, cause I would'nt even attempt it. You'd have to gear me up with an electrical outlet to every part of my friggin body, then and only then,... maybe?

I didnt ride the other day and it was only 62degrees!
Riding a GL1100 with a Vetter fairing and the standard GL foot warmers make it not especially unpleasant. I have lots of nice warm snowmobile gear after all. As soon as the chances of black ice arise rest assured the GL will be parked in the garage.
__________________
"Make no mistake, Communism lost a big argument - one we know today as the 20th century."
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 07:27 PM   #13
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member
 
Kenneth_Moore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: VIsiting the GIft Shop in the Pit of DIspair
Posts: 7,118
Default

This was a completely motorcycle free Thanksgiving for me, which is unusual, because in previous years the extended weekend was always a good chance to ride the 200 miles to Mom's and bum around Central Florida; riding on something other than dead level straight roads. This year, I took my kid on his first big camp out; it was pretty civilized though with showers and even electrical outlets at the campsites. But the campfires and canoes made it fun, and we both walked more than we do in 3 typical months. We went to a place called Tomoka State Park; it's about 15 miles from Daytona's Main St., and is a long-term favorite for the Bike Week camping crowd. Tomoka is a completely untouched Live Oak Forest; it became a park 60 years ago. It's hard to imagine such an untouched, natural place being home base for a bunch of hard-partying bikers, but there is is. Man, I'd hate to see what happens when those dirt roads get rained out and a 700 lb. Ultra Glider has to ride into camp at 4 am with a serious buzz on. "The Loop," which is the most popular scenic ride in the area, runs along and through the park for quite a few miles. We'd be enjoying the quite and calm and then some dope would ride by winding out every gear, and/or slapping the throttle shut to get the reversion noise. You could hear it literally for miles and miles. I've completely lost patience with drag pipes and their ilk; and wonder what the **** I was thinking when I had them on my bike. It's too lound...I must be too old...

Daytona looks like it's ready to toss Bike Week out on it's ear like Ft. Lauderdale did with Spring Break what, in the 80's? All the old cheezy hotels that rent for $50-$60 a night are being torn down ASAP and being replaced with condos, time shares, and snazzy resorts. The intersection of International Drive and A1A seems like they're going for a surf resort look. The ride West on Int'l Dr. toward the track was an endless stream of closed custom bike shops and shuttered wing jonts. I suspect Bruce Rossmeyer's Evil Plan for World Domination with "Destination Daytona" will work: what remains of Bike Week will center around his Disneyesque Bikey Mouse World out west of Ormond Beach and become the epicenter of the party crowd; Main Street will get rebuilt into Tommy Bahama and Polo stores, and the Daytona 200 will become a serious Tee Vee Revenue event. It's been a good run I suppose; longer than most things of that type get.
__________________
www.kennethmoore.org
Kenneth_Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 07:38 PM   #14
Buzglyd
Founding Member
 
Buzglyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 10,904
Default

I'm sure you'll look natty in your TB shirt on that VStrom.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 08:18 PM   #15
seruzawa
The Toad

 
seruzawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: 8501 ft.
Posts: 17,461
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
This was a completely motorcycle free Thanksgiving for me, which is unusual, because in previous years the extended weekend was always a good chance to ride the 200 miles to Mom's and bum around Central Florida; riding on something other than dead level straight roads. This year, I took my kid on his first big camp out; it was pretty civilized though with showers and even electrical outlets at the campsites. But the campfires and canoes made it fun, and we both walked more than we do in 3 typical months. We went to a place called Tomoka State Park; it's about 15 miles from Daytona's Main St., and is a long-term favorite for the Bike Week camping crowd. Tomoka is a completely untouched Live Oak Forest; it became a park 60 years ago. It's hard to imagine such an untouched, natural place being home base for a bunch of hard-partying bikers, but there is is. Man, I'd hate to see what happens when those dirt roads get rained out and a 700 lb. Ultra Glider has to ride into camp at 4 am with a serious buzz on. "The Loop," which is the most popular scenic ride in the area, runs along and through the park for quite a few miles. We'd be enjoying the quite and calm and then some dope would ride by winding out every gear, and/or slapping the throttle shut to get the reversion noise. You could hear it literally for miles and miles. I've completely lost patience with drag pipes and their ilk; and wonder what the **** I was thinking when I had them on my bike. It's too lound...I must be too old...

Daytona looks like it's ready to toss Bike Week out on it's ear like Ft. Lauderdale did with Spring Break what, in the 80's? All the old cheezy hotels that rent for $50-$60 a night are being torn down ASAP and being replaced with condos, time shares, and snazzy resorts. The intersection of International Drive and A1A seems like they're going for a surf resort look. The ride West on Int'l Dr. toward the track was an endless stream of closed custom bike shops and shuttered wing jonts. I suspect Bruce Rossmeyer's Evil Plan for World Domination with "Destination Daytona" will work: what remains of Bike Week will center around his Disneyesque Bikey Mouse World out west of Ormond Beach and become the epicenter of the party crowd; Main Street will get rebuilt into Tommy Bahama and Polo stores, and the Daytona 200 will become a serious Tee Vee Revenue event. It's been a good run I suppose; longer than most things of that type get.
Ummm, Ken? If there are electric outlets then it's not really camping.
__________________
"Make no mistake, Communism lost a big argument - one we know today as the 20th century."
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 08:44 PM   #16
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

 
sarnali2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Sittin' down by my window, lookin' at the rain.
Posts: 8,719
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
Ummm, Ken? If there are electric outlets then it's not really camping.

I dunno'....when we go camping it's @ KOA with showers, bathrooms and a pool...my ol'lady brings her hairdryer! at least we still sleep in a tent.
__________________
"Carpe` Throttelum -Loud Suits Save Lives"

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 09:15 PM   #17
Buzglyd
Founding Member
 
Buzglyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 10,904
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
I dunno'....when we go camping it's @ KOA with showers, bathrooms and a pool...my ol'lady brings her hairdryer! at least we still sleep in a tent.
If it's less than 4 stars it's camping.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 09:31 PM   #18
seruzawa
The Toad

 
seruzawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: 8501 ft.
Posts: 17,461
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzglyd View Post
If it's less than 4 stars it's camping.
You're all smegging poofters.
__________________
"Make no mistake, Communism lost a big argument - one we know today as the 20th century."
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 09:46 PM   #19
Buzglyd
Founding Member
 
Buzglyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 10,904
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
You're all smegging poofters.
LIke Carlos Mencia said: "Do you white people have so much money that you have to go out and act poor for a week?"
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 10:24 PM   #20
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

 
sarnali2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Sittin' down by my window, lookin' at the rain.
Posts: 8,719
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzglyd View Post
If it's less than 4 stars it's camping.

Sometimes we take the 19in TV WITHOUT the DVD player and REALLY rough it !!!
__________________
"Carpe` Throttelum -Loud Suits Save Lives"

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off