Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Classifieds > Motorcycle Parts Wanted

Old 01-16-2008, 05:09 PM   #1
Hank Jr
Registered Member

Default 1998 Yamaha Royal Star Tour Deluxe Exhaust

Hello, I am looking for an exhaust for a 1998 Yamaha Royal Star Tour Deluxe, 4 to 2. Please no OEM parts. Also, have hard saddle bags that the pipes need to set below if possible. Would hate to change them.

Last edited by Hank Jr : 01-17-2008 at 02:47 AM.
Hank Jr is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-16-2008, 05:44 PM   #2
seruzawa
The Toad

Try going to an accessory shop and have them look in the catalogs.

Or use Google.
Old 01-17-2008, 02:45 AM   #3
Hank Jr
Registered Member

Already have done that and searched the internet. All I can find are exhaust systems for 99 and up.
Old 01-17-2008, 07:15 AM   #4
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Are your original pipes damaged or do you just want to make noise? It's strange that there's no support for your year but everything starts a year later, was there a redisign or something?

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 01:20 PM   #5
Hank Jr
Registered Member

The ones I have are fine, just want the sound. For some reason, no one can locate them for my type of bike. Yes, very strange.
Old 01-17-2008, 01:54 PM   #6
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Jr View Post
The ones I have are fine, just want the sound. For some reason, no one can locate them for my type of bike. Yes, very strange.
If you are mechanically inclined you might be able to find some slip on mufflers that you could adapt to fit.
Old 01-17-2008, 04:59 PM   #7
12er
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
If you are mechanically inclined you might be able to find some slip on mufflers that you could adapt to fit.
Mufflers? Cruisers have those?
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 05:08 PM   #8
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Scout's honor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12er View Post
Mufflers? Cruisers have those?
I saw a stock cruiser once. It had really quiet pipes. He was revving his engine only 10 feet away from me and I didn't go permanently deaf.

Could have been a mutant, though. Yeah. That must be it.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:10 PM   #9
eagent
Registered Member

Default 98 Royal Star Tour Deluxe Exhaust

I too have a 98 Royal Star Tour Deluxe. Here's the problem - 98 was the first year Yamaha put this bike out, since then they've modified it substantially. In 98 the exhaust is essentially a single piece on each side from the headers all the way back to the tail pipe.

Everyone makes SLIP ON mufflers but three is no way to use them without cutting your stock exhaust up, and no one wants to do that in case it doesn't work. You have essentially two options, that I'm aware of.

1 - go to a salvage yard and buy the system off a wrecked bike, take it to a custom shop and see what they can. This will cost money. I bought my bike brand new Memorial Day in 98 and the exhaust shop wanted $1,000 PLUS a sacraficial system!

2 - BUB used to make a 4into2 system that would fit BUT it isn't listed in their book. I spent 4 hours on the phone with BUB in June of 98 and they finally found a system that felt would work on my bike. They agreed to send it to the dealer and if the dealer said it wouldn't work they agreed to take it back. IT FIT, I was ecstatic! I also had a stage 1 carb kit and a K&N Filter upgrade done. This was the ONLY performance enhancement I have ever found for this bike.

I love the bike, but I wish there were more options for it.

Your other possibility is to look at VMAX exhausts for the same year. The Royal Star for 98 used a de-tuned VMAX power plant - same on the outside, different guts. It probably won't be listed in any of the parts books, but you may find a hungry dealer who's willing to work with you to find something that will work.

good luck
eagent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 07:36 PM   #10
A Star Ride
Registered Member

I have an 04 RSTD and it has some kind of aftermarket exhaust but I wish it had the origional, too loud for me. I was unaware they changed the RSTD at all aside of color options fron inception til they discontinued it. Great bike.