kind regards john
john boy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-05-2009, 03:18 PM   #2
seruzawa
The Toad

I see you are embarked on the same learning experience I had with the early Magna. Get out now, before it's too late. The bike will only ruin your peace and leave you heartbroken.
Old 10-30-2009, 04:47 PM   #3
john boy
Registered Member

bike now up and runing /very nice ride engin sounds nice /lovely sound from pips
is ther any one ells out ther with a positive about these bike ??
they cant be that bad as this one was built in 1983
and still bloody runing
the only people that comment are the ones with negative points to say
the magna vf 750 c v45 is a cool looking and sounding bike
better than my gsf bandit 600
but im not knocking the bandit
john boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 05:27 PM   #4
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john boy View Post
bike now up and runing /very nice ride engin sounds nice /lovely sound from pips
is ther any one ells out ther with a positive about these bike ??
they cant be that bad as this one was built in 1983
and still bloody runing
the only people that comment are the ones with negative points to say
the magna vf 750 c v45 is a cool looking and sounding bike
better than my gsf bandit 600
but im not knocking the bandit
I remember them: they were cool bikes, especially for their day. BUT, keeping an old bike running properly is a chore. And this particular model has a few fatal-flaws to it that, when they emerge - it will essentially render the moto a pile of scrap.

My advice is to Enjoy the bike while you can. Do everything possible to mitigate the eventual transmission failure, but be aware that it can (and likely will) happen, sooner or later.

Good Luck. Ride Safe.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 07:36 PM   #5
glenn1776
Registered Member

Default 1983 v45

Just purchased this bike it in pretty mint cond, thinking about taking the carbs of and go through them. any ideas for a good performance exaust? doing some modification over the winter should be fun ha haa. Any problems ouve had let me know. Thanks for your time. Glenn
glenn1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 07:38 PM   #6
glenn1776
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
I remember them: they were cool bikes, especially for their day. BUT, keeping an old bike running properly is a chore. And this particular model has a few fatal-flaws to it that, when they emerge - it will essentially render the moto a pile of scrap.

My advice is to Enjoy the bike while you can. Do everything possible to mitigate the eventual transmission failure, but be aware that it can (and likely will) happen, sooner or later.

Good Luck. Ride Safe.
when you say the trany what are the beginig sighns of it going? pops out of gear or what. How about the shaft driven part of the bike
Old 10-20-2010, 08:01 PM   #7
seruzawa
The Toad

The bike will start to pop out of gear when the tranny goes bad. The final drive is usually reliable.

You can mitigate the problem by avoiding power shifts, wheelies and other abuse. The engine is made to rev, just be sure to shift smoothly and don't lug it. Change the oil frequently. Frankly I'd change it every 2K miles. Use a good mineral oil. The seals aren't proofed for synthetic oils.

You can search around and find an oil bypass device that fits under the oil filter. It reroutes the oil so it goes to the valves before the tranny. I don't recall who sells it but it was around $250. There are a couple of sites that address the problem.

The Magna is pretty fast for a cruiser, faster than most cruiser V-Twins, and a lot of fun. It's got about 65rwhp and is very light for a cruiser. But sorry to say most bikes eat the tranny at around 30-35K miles. It'll cost in the order of $600 just for parts and would cost thousands to have a shop do the labor. I know because I rebuilt an '84 and unless you have a lot of experience with these things it'll be a nightmare to try. The motor is one of the most complex motors ever built.

Good luck.

Last edited by seruzawa : 10-20-2010 at 08:07 PM.
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 07:09 PM   #8
glenn1776
Registered Member

looking to put a widder rear tire on the v45 any room for spacers or shaving the inner shaft. not sure how thick the walls are of the shaft. Thanks glenn
Old 11-08-2010, 07:12 PM   #9
glenn1776
Registered Member

Default 83 v45 magna

looking to put a widder rear tire on the v45 any room for spacers or shaving the inner shaft. not sure how thick the walls are of the shaft. also any ideas for a smaller seat looking to do some custom work to the bike. thanks for your time glenn
Old 06-02-2011, 08:25 PM   #10
suprdave
Registered Member

I loved my '84 VF700C Magna but the engine was always noisy. I even went as far as installing the oil mod on it but it still sounded like it was coming apart. It was fast, well-balanced, and reliable. It took me a year, and a pile of cash to fix it up. Eventually, I sold it to my brother, who took about 6 months to totally mess it up. Personally I think it's a cool bike to have around, but only as a collector's item, not as your main ride. It's bigger brother, the 1100 was the one of fastest things around at the time. I'm sad that I sold it. I have a modern, big v-twin now, but the Magna will always be a favorite. Good luck with it. There's not many accessories or custom items available any more.
Dave
---------------------------------------------
Used Motorcycle Parts - Search top motorcycle salvage yards
suprdave is offline   Reply With Quote