Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-news/)
-   -   Passenger age cap proposed in Ontario (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-news/9985-passenger-age-cap-proposed-ontario.html)

Administrator 11-12-2008 02:13 PM

Passenger age cap proposed in Ontario

Original Article:
Passenger age cap proposed in Ontario

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article Passenger age cap proposed in Ontario in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

Dr_Sprocket 11-12-2008 03:32 PM

Hmmm. I wonder if more children die every day because of motorcycle accidents or because of iatrogenic causes (i.e. physician mistakes). Perhaps her time would better be spent trying to enact laws that reduce physician errors.

seruzawa 11-12-2008 04:15 PM

Swimming pools are amongst the most dangerous devices for killing children. Where are the anti-swimming pool laws?

longride 11-12-2008 04:51 PM

"Jaczek is a member of Ontario’s ruling Liberal Party,....."

I think we already see where the problem is.

The_AirHawk 11-12-2008 05:04 PM

There's alread a law like this in Arkansas; no child under the age of 7 (article sez 8 - one of us could be mistaken) is allowed as a passenger aboard a Motorcycle. No provision for size or weight, or safety gear (including tandem-belts and "handhold belts") no provision for determining the age of the passenger - wholly at the Harrassing Officer's discretion.

"Jaczek is a member of Ontario’s ruling Liberal Party, but she presented the amendment on her own as a private member’s bill. Historically, private member’s bills have a very low success rate of being enacted into law. "

Well, that's a relief.

God, save us from our "Saviours".

There's a reason everyone I know from BC says "Don't lump us in with the EASTERNERs..........."

sarnali2 11-13-2008 07:22 AM

I've always felt the border should run up and down instead of crossways. Politically the Western States and Provinces have more in common with each other then with the Eastern States and Provinces. In terms of enviromental, land use and property rights and population densities one size regulation does not fit all.

Besides people from the East coast talk and dress funny and those froggies in KayBec don't even parlayvoo de'Onglaise...speaking of weirdos, you guys can have Utah too..Well trade you for Oklahoma or something

Kenneth_Moore 11-13-2008 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longride (Post 197544)
"Jaczek is a member of Ontario’s ruling Liberal Party,....."

I think we already see where the problem is.

Not so fast there, a conservative Republican Legislator from the the West Coast of FL (a super-conservative area of the state) proposed virtually the same law in Florida a few months ago. He was innudated with calls and emails (including mine) and withdrew the proposal within a week. Anti-motorcycle a-holes, doo-gooders, etc., span all political, religious, and sexual orientations.

acecycleins 11-13-2008 11:06 AM

I've been toting Katelynn around on bikes since she was 6yo. If I didn't think she was safe riding with me on the K bike I wouldn't bother. We have a good system. I tap her on the knee every 10 miles or so to make sure she's awake. She taps my back in response. If she needs me to pull over she taps me on helmet. I've taken her on trips that are up to 75 miles (Grandpa lives far). One time in 4 yrs she's nodded off and I could feel her resting against me when it happened. She was scolded and told that if it EVER happns again she's off the bike for 6mos. That was over three years ago. She pops on the MP3 player and sings going down the road. Pretty funny listening to her singing those lame Hannah Montana songs when the traffic slows. Anyway- how are they supposed to tell age under a helmet? When she meets max height she'll still be 6 to 7 inches shorter than your standard adult. Stoopid politicians.

seruzawa 11-13-2008 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acecycleins (Post 197580)
I've been toting Katelynn around on bikes since she was 6yo. If I didn't think she was safe riding with me on the K bike I wouldn't bother. We have a good system. I tap her on the knee every 10 miles or so to make sure she's awake. She taps my back in response. If she needs me to pull over she taps me on helmet. I've taken her on trips that are up to 75 miles (Grandpa lives far). One time in 4 yrs she's nodded off and I could feel her resting against me when it happened. She was scolded and told that if it EVER happns again she's off the bike for 6mos. That was over three years ago. She pops on the MP3 player and sings going down the road. Pretty funny listening to her singing those lame Hannah Montana songs when the traffic slows. Anyway- how are they supposed to tell age under a helmet? When she meets max height she'll still be 6 to 7 inches shorter than your standard adult. Stoopid politicians.

It's not necessary to use the adjective "stupid" with the word "politicians". It is automatically implied. Also implied is corrupt, evil, lying, thieving........

longride 11-13-2008 12:30 PM

I don't think this relates as much to 'hates motorcycles' which can be anyone, but this is clearly a 'I'm butting into your life because I'ma do-gooder' case. And we all know that do-gooders are on the libral side of the aisle.