Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-news/)
-   -   KTM introduces electric off-road bike (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-news/9896-ktm-introduces-electric-off-road-bike.html)

Administrator 10-29-2008 02:19 PM

KTM introduces electric off-road bike

Original Article:
KTM introduces electric off-road bike

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article KTM introduces electric off-road bike in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

BrowningBAR 10-29-2008 02:41 PM

I think it is great and all that KTM (and others) or looking into, and trying out, alternative technology for fuel. But my question is, how much does it cost per charge for these electric vehicles? Due to deregulation my electricity bill is set to rise 60% by 2010. And rumor has it it will continue to climb.

Right now my electricity bill is $180 per month (no central a/c, by the way), meaning by 2010 my bill will be about $290 per month.

Have we really tapped out on engine efficiency? Is a 30-40mpg compact car as good as it gets? Is 40-50mpg the best we can do on motorcycles (I know some do more, but the majority fall within this range)?

mscuddy 10-29-2008 03:03 PM

Zzzzzzzz.....

acecycleins 10-29-2008 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mscuddy (Post 196806)
Zzzzzzzz.....

Come on, Matt. All torque all the time. You sure you didn't mean. Hummmmmmm!

Kenneth_Moore 10-29-2008 03:48 PM

I saw an electric car pull a 6.something second quarter mile on Speed Tee Vee the other day. Sounded cool too.

Me and the kid were in WalMart the other day and they had an electric dirt bike. Nothing this sophisticated, the box said it only runs 40 minutes on a 12 hour charge.

The thing I think may be most appealing about these if the performance comes along is it takes the rug out from under the noise and spark complainers. "Sir, my dirt bike makes less noise than your Prius."

seruzawa 10-29-2008 03:57 PM

Sounds good until you realize that you can only do that 6 second 1/4 mile once per charge.

mscuddy 10-29-2008 04:25 PM

If I wanted all torque all the time I'd ride an Alco RS with 1000 hp on tap. That KTM thing looks like a real turtle chaser.

acecycleins 10-29-2008 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore (Post 196812)
I saw an electric car pull a 6.something second quarter mile on Speed Tee Vee the other day. Sounded cool too.

Me and the kid were in WalMart the other day and they had an electric dirt bike. Nothing this sophisticated, the box said it only runs 40 minutes on a 12 hour charge.

The thing I think may be most appealing about these if the performance comes along is it takes the rug out from under the noise and spark complainers. "Sir, my dirt bike makes less noise than your Prius."

Is it made by Razor? I got the mx350 for Katelynn for this year's Christmas. I watched a friend's kid pulling wheelies with his about three weeks ago and plopped the $140 down 40 minutes later. 40 mins straight for a kid is like an eight hour day to us.

Kenneth_Moore 10-30-2008 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acecycleins (Post 196816)
Is it made by Razor? I got the mx350 for Katelynn for this year's Christmas. I watched a friend's kid pulling wheelies with his about three weeks ago and plopped the $140 down 40 minutes later. 40 mins straight for a kid is like an eight hour day to us.

Yes it was. Was it only $140? Shoot, those stupid electric kiddy cars cost twice that.

Kenneth_Moore 10-30-2008 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seruzawa (Post 196813)
Sounds good until you realize that you can only do that 6 second 1/4 mile once per charge.

True, but it wasn't that long ago that my first cell phone weighed a pound and a half and had about 20 minutes of talk time. The technology will improve, as will the performance. It always does.