Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News

Old 10-23-2008, 03:12 PM   #1
Administrator
Administrator

Default Ducati shareholders approve merger plan

Original Article:
Ducati shareholders approve merger plan

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article Ducati shareholders approve merger plan in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

Last edited by administrator : 10-23-2008 at 03:17 PM.
Administrator is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-23-2008, 08:06 PM   #2
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Ducati should have all their corporate materials done on whiteboards so they can just jot down the owner de jour like the daily lunch special. Did you hear Jesus Chrysler may merge with GM? Company reps on both sides said "it's pure speculation," so it must be true.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:47 PM   #3
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
Ducati should have all their corporate materials done on whiteboards so they can just jot down the owner de jour like the daily lunch special. Did you hear Jesus Chrysler may merge with GM? Company reps on both sides said "it's pure speculation," so it must be true.
Last I read, GM is having trouble coming-up with cash for the purchase. Essentially, all they want is the $11B in Capital that Chrysler is sitting-on, the Assembly and Manufacturing plants that Chrysler has (all of GM's shyte is old and worn-out). They'll keep the minivan division ('cuz NOBODY can out-minivan Chrysler - GM and Ford quit trying),

Jeep will be sold to Renault ('round and 'round it goes - where it stops - only Cerberus Knows!); Mopar Parts Division and the Auburn Hills Technology-Center (AKA Chrysler Design and Engineering) will each be spun-off into its own Corporation by Cerberus to make axles, engines, transmissions, etc. And Cerberus will acquire first the other 19.9% of Chrysler from Daimler (to smooth-over the sale) and then the other 51% of GMAC to merge with Chrysler Financial.

And that's it. The End of a Noble corporation, and of an Era.

Not that the Chrysler of today is anything like the Chrysler I loved when growing-up, anyway. But there was always Hope.

(sigh)

All of this NOT because Cerberus couldn't "fix" Chrysler (I've been amazed at everything I've been reading about how much it's been improved since Cerberus took-over, and how much better the cars were, how many new products were in the pipeline, etc.) - but because the Cerberus BOD and Shareholders suddenly got cold feet and lost all patience for the company to come back-around.

Of all the "Big Three", Chrysler is actually losing the least money (though sales have been down the last quarter because Chrysler IS "truck-heavy", and truck sales are in the shytter), and is (by all analyst accounts) best-situated to recover with the least losses and more-quickly than GM or Ford.

(BIG SIGH)

Sign O' the Times..........
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 05:56 AM   #4
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
Last I read, GM is having trouble coming-up with cash for the purchase. Essentially, all they want is the $11B in Capital that Chrysler is sitting-on, the Assembly and Manufacturing plants that Chrysler has (all of GM's shyte is old and worn-out). They'll keep the minivan division ('cuz NOBODY can out-minivan Chrysler - GM and Ford quit trying),

Jeep will be sold to Renault ('round and 'round it goes - where it stops - only Cerberus Knows!); Mopar Parts Division and the Auburn Hills Technology-Center (AKA Chrysler Design and Engineering) will each be spun-off into its own Corporation by Cerberus to make axles, engines, transmissions, etc. And Cerberus will acquire first the other 19.9% of Chrysler from Daimler (to smooth-over the sale) and then the other 51% of GMAC to merge with Chrysler Financial.

And that's it. The End of a Noble corporation, and of an Era.

Not that the Chrysler of today is anything like the Chrysler I loved when growing-up, anyway. But there was always Hope.

(sigh)

All of this NOT because Cerberus couldn't "fix" Chrysler (I've been amazed at everything I've been reading about how much it's been improved since Cerberus took-over, and how much better the cars were, how many new products were in the pipeline, etc.) - but because the Cerberus BOD and Shareholders suddenly got cold feet and lost all patience for the company to come back-around.

Of all the "Big Three", Chrysler is actually losing the least money (though sales have been down the last quarter because Chrysler IS "truck-heavy", and truck sales are in the shytter), and is (by all analyst accounts) best-situated to recover with the least losses and more-quickly than GM or Ford.

(BIG SIGH)

Sign O' the Times..........
GM? Oh yeah. GM is that Healthcare/Retirement Fund company that sells cars to reduce the hemorrhaging.
Old 10-24-2008, 07:17 AM   #5
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Should I throw in that old joke on how to make a million dollars making sport bikes? Nah....
Old 10-24-2008, 09:10 AM   #6
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Too bad. I always had good luck with their stuff. I had two Caravans over the years to haul the kids and dogs in that were trouble free, a '91 half ton that got totaled before I even got the registration in the mail and a '69 Fury cop car that ran like poop thru a goose with a 440 and posi. My work van is a '93 commercial Caravan that refuses to die dispite being ridden hard and put away wet....

In contrast the last Chevy I had was a 3.8L Venture that ate head gaskets like popcorn, thankfully under warranty. Seems like Chrysler could teach them a thing or two. Not to mention President Obama drives a 300M...

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 09:25 AM   #7
acecycleins
Founding Member

I know Ducati has been a revolving door of ownership for a decade, but you gotta hand to them for one thing: They never stopped producing bikes. MV (before the HD merger) was not producing bikes even after they sold off Husky. MV never stopped selling bike but they weren't making new ones for about 4 months. Ducati held tough, kept racing, kept developing and certainly have better management now than they've had in 7-10 yrs.

As for American auto makers. I predict that GM will find some way to buy Chrysler but by 2012 you will see Ford joined in the fray, too.
GM will build small cars, the Camaro and the Volt. Chrysler will build medium to full-size cars and the Challenger. And Ford will build all the trucks, the Mustang and the new Fiesta platorm. Figure the whole thing starts bleeding together by 2016. We'll lose all the individuality of the American auto maker, but they will have found a way to survive.

I think you're correct when you state that Jeep will be sold, but it goes much deeper. All the foreign subsidiaries from GM and Ford will be sold off in a fire sale by 2010.