Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-news/)
-   -   2009 Triumph Twins receive EFI (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-news/9464-2009-triumph-twins-receive-efi.html)

longride 09-11-2008 08:58 AM

I would say he is mostly correct. Anyone that owned a Triumph built in Meriden and then rode the one built in Hinckley can tell that they may look alike, but the charm is long gone.

pdad13 09-11-2008 09:15 AM

Yes, but the oil still remains.

seruzawa 09-11-2008 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longride (Post 193438)
I would say he is mostly correct. Anyone that owned a Triumph built in Meriden and then rode the one built in Hinckley can tell that they may look alike, but the charm is long gone.

Yeah, we sure miss that "charm". Sort of like missing the "charm" of an early 70s AMF Harley. Triumph should cater to all old crusty f@rts and install Amal Monoblocs, Lucas Electrics, Girling shocks and 1" shoed drum brakes so some bitter old timers can enjoy the traditional Britbike "mystique". I doubt anyone would expect the factory to provide free chase trucks though.

Actually, I wish they hadn't packed an extra 100 pounds on the thing but otherwise nostalgia is best remembered, not re-experienced.

Kenneth_Moore 09-11-2008 09:44 AM

Miami man killed in motorcycle accident in Broward -- South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com

Buzz, you used to ride I-595 didn't you? This guy went off the top...

longride 09-11-2008 09:51 AM

I had fun with mine. It taught me how to wrench, tune, and maintain. Without those skills I'd just be another guy with a credit card pushing the starter button. Triumphs were also fast (for the day) good handling, light machines. I got mine down to 300 lbs. Try that with today's pigs. So when the 9 millionth person here posts " Gee, my bike won't (run, start, keep running, run correctly) at least I have an idea of where to look and why. I can thank my early Trumphs, Nortons, and Harleys for that knowledge.

sachiwilson 09-11-2008 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seruzawa (Post 193440)
Yeah, we sure miss that "charm". Sort of like missing the "charm" of an early 70s AMF Harley. Triumph should cater to all old crusty f@rts and install Amal Monoblocs, Lucas Electrics, Girling shocks and 1" shoed drum brakes so some bitter old timers can enjoy the traditional Britbike "mystique". I doubt anyone would expect the factory to provide free chase trucks though.

I did three things to my old Bonnie and Norton that really helped with reliability: I had the Amals sleeved with stainless steel, which kept the carbs from wearing and thus kept them in tune. I also rewired both bikes with heavier wire and fewer, more secure, connectors. And I replaced many of the bolts and almost all the nuts with stainless steel bolts and nylock nuts. After all that, I was able to enjoy the vibe-y goodness of the bikes without worrying much about them staying together.

longride 09-11-2008 10:29 AM

There was also nothing wrong with the design of the old Bonnies. It was the poor execution of that design that was the problem. Given modern machining techniques, modern electircs and modern carbs, I'd say that the old Bonnie would be just as reliable and oil tight as the new one, and it would be faster, handle better, and sound better. How they added 100 lbs. to the new one still boggles my mind. It certainly wasn't to handle all that excess horsepower!

seruzawa 09-11-2008 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longride (Post 193443)
I had fun with mine. It taught me how to wrench, tune, and maintain. Without those skills I'd just be another guy with a credit card pushing the starter button. Triumphs were also fast (for the day) good handling, light machines. I got mine down to 300 lbs. Try that with today's pigs. So when the 9 millionth person here posts " Gee, my bike won't (run, start, keep running, run correctly) at least I have an idea of where to look and why. I can thank my early Trumphs, Nortons, and Harleys for that knowledge.

You're right LR. I learned the same way. But like my experiences in Nam... I'd never give them up, nor would I ever go through them again.

seruzawa 09-11-2008 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sachiwilson (Post 193444)
I did three things to my old Bonnie and Norton that really helped with reliability: I had the Amals sleeved with stainless steel, which kept the carbs from wearing and thus kept them in tune. I also rewired both bikes with heavier wire and fewer, more secure, connectors. And I replaced many of the bolts and almost all the nuts with stainless steel bolts and nylock nuts. After all that, I was able to enjoy the vibe-y goodness of the bikes without worrying much about them staying together.

There was an easier way to get a reliable Britbike. Buy the Kawasaki W2650SS. Sort of like the Datsun Fairlady which was the best British two-seater ever made. LOL!

sarnali2 09-11-2008 01:00 PM

The only Meridan Triumph I rode was my dads Tiger Cub that I learned to ride on. I don't remember it being terribly unreliable, of course my dad is a Brit who spent his army years as a dispatch rider on BSA's..I guess when your life depends on it you learn to keep them running LOL.

I had a couple of friends with various Triumph models that were so beat to tears it was no wonder they never ran, also a buddy with a JB welded Panhead that made every ride a thrill. I learned from my dad so my Shovels and Sporties always ran, lock washers, nylocks and a Torque wrench meant I generally got home with the same amount of parts I left with..Just lucky I guess, I had more trouble with Japanese bikes than anything including my Hinckley Triumphs.