Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News

Old 07-15-2008, 02:38 PM   #1
Administrator
Administrator

Default Suzuki restructures American units

Original Article:
Suzuki restructures American units

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article Suzuki restructures American units in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

Last edited by administrator : 07-15-2008 at 02:40 PM.
Administrator is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-15-2008, 02:53 PM   #2
Buzglyd
Founding Member

I wonder how that effects the big "Charter" celebration?
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 03:35 PM   #3
seruzawa
The Toad

From a pure beans standpoint it probably makes sense to eliminate a wholeshytload of suckbutt middle managers. But as we've seen at Honda, placing the bikes under the guys who push the cars is disastrous to motorcycle innovation.
Old 07-15-2008, 06:42 PM   #4
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
But as we've seen at Honda, placing the bikes under the guys who push the cars is disastrous to motorcycle innovation.
Not to mention that bringing the car sales model to motorcycle shops (now dealerships, not shops) changed the entire customer experience...for the worse. When I started selling bikes at Rossmeyer HD, a bunch of lifetime motorcycle guys were running sales. Yeah, they wanted you to try to close, to use basic sales techniques, to make some money on the deal. But it was fun; everybody enjoyed what we were doing, including the customers.

Then, after about 9 months, they brought in three guys from a giant Toyota dealership that Rossmeyer owned in GA. The atmosphere of the place changed overnight. Customers became targets, nothing mattered but meeting the numbers, the pressure to sell was absurd. After 3 months of that crap, I went back to my "real job." There may be hope, one of the lifetime motorcycle guys is now running sales in Rossmeyer's largest dealership in S. FL. He's doing great; they're selling a lot of bikes. It looks like he's bringing the old style back to the sales process.

Last edited by Kenneth_Moore : 07-16-2008 at 09:34 AM.
Kenneth_Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 08:50 AM   #5
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Ken the same thing happened here at DHD. They were a family run operation that started out selling BSA Triumph and Norton in the 60's, they got a Harley franchise in the early 80's and were very successful. They played hard ball but you could get a fair shake out of them as a rule. The old man retired, the son sold the dealership to the owners of a big box multiline Japanese dealer with shops in Portland and here and the place has gone downhill ever since, some of the original people are still there but the whole atmosphere changed from a hang out, drink coffee and BS bike shop to more of a for lack of a better word, a Japanese bike dealership. I don't even bother with them anymore.

They're the same ones that completely ignored me when I was looking at the V strom awhile back. I hope Suzuki's restructuring includes training for the sales staff that includes a section about how well dressed middle aged guys generally have more money to spend than kids drooling over GSXR's and how some of them are very thin-skinned about being blown off buy some snot nosed "salesman" whose balls have barely dropped....

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...

Last edited by sarnali2 : 07-16-2008 at 08:57 AM.
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 09:36 AM   #6
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Find another place to get your VStrom; every time I ride it, I like it better than before!
Old 07-16-2008, 09:48 AM   #7
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Default Oh, I like the bike....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
Find another place to get your VStrom; every time I ride it, I like it better than before!

I'm working a deal right now with the Bandit, that'll give me cash but I'd have to dip into my savings for the rest or trade the Dyna as well and that's something I need to think long and hard on...A VStrom would be cool but my Dyna..she love me long time yes?....

I keep my eyes open for a fire sale but no luck yet..

Old 07-16-2008, 10:46 AM   #8
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
I'm working a deal right now with the Bandit, that'll give me cash but I'd have to dip into my savings for the rest or trade the Dyna as well and that's something I need to think long and hard on...A VStrom would be cool but my Dyna..she love me long time yes?....

I keep my eyes open for a fire sale but no luck yet..
Add South Florida to your search parameters. I'll check out any candidates for you and deliver it for free!

Here's one. Probably take $6k for it:

2006 SUZUKI VSTROM for sale in Hollywood, FL: Touring - CycleTrader.com

2006 SUZUKI VSTROM, Vstrom 1000, Excel Cond, 3300 Miles, Lots of extras, $6600 obo, 954-249-7642
Updated Jun-27-20

Last edited by Kenneth_Moore : 07-16-2008 at 10:53 AM.
Kenneth_Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 10:59 AM   #9
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

That looks pretty nice. Helluva' test ride for you eh?