Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-news/)
-   -   Harley-Davidson Motorcycle History (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-news/8804-harley-davidson-motorcycle-history.html)

Administrator 07-09-2008 11:13 PM

Harley-Davidson Motorcycle History

Original Article:
Harley-Davidson Motorcycle History

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article Harley-Davidson Motorcycle History in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

dratomic5528 12-22-2009 06:51 PM

Your history needs some work. The VR1000 was only produced in a much smaller quantity. Only 53 road models were produced and 7 pure race versions were produced. The factory kept 6 and Brians H-D/Buell got the seventh. Only 50 were required for holmogation. I know, I was there. We had the only VR to win a race any where, in the BEARS series in Europe. Oh yes it is now on display at the Barbor Motorsports Museum in Birmingham AL

Dr_Sprocket 12-23-2009 01:21 AM

Time to update the timeline:

"2009 - Harley shutters the Buell division, not even attempting to sell it off, leaving thousands of owners feeling like the carpet was pulled out from under them."

sarnali2 12-23-2009 07:05 AM

Everytime I read about "junk AMF bikes" I want to laugh. I put over 200k on AMF Shovels and Sporties with hardly a whimper, they were as reliable as any other 70's era bike. The only time I saw any real problems was with people loading down their bikes with cheap aftermarket crap, when that stuff failed they'd jump up and b*tch about AMF Harleys being unreliable. Stock Harleys were and are still as reliable as anything else out there and when they did wear out you could rebuild them as opposed to basically throw-away Japanese bikes.

longride 12-23-2009 07:57 AM

"Everytime I read about "junk AMF bikes" I want to laugh."

That's becuase the only time you ever hear that phrase will be from people that never rode one. Hell, most people still think Harleys leak oil and vibrate all the parts off today. I bet the guy that did this 'history' never rode a Harley at all, much less supposed 'AMF Junk'.

seruzawa 12-23-2009 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarnali2 (Post 230656)
Everytime I read about "junk AMF bikes" I want to laugh. I put over 200k on AMF Shovels and Sporties with hardly a whimper, they were as reliable as any other 70's era bike. The only time I saw any real problems was with people loading down their bikes with cheap aftermarket crap, when that stuff failed they'd jump up and b*tch about AMF Harleys being unreliable. Stock Harleys were and are still as reliable as anything else out there and when they did wear out you could rebuild them as opposed to basically throw-away Japanese bikes.

The sandcast crankcase on the Shovels wouldn't take more than something like 70 hp IIRC. So doing much more than an S&S carb was just asking for trouble. My Shovel or Sportster never stranded me. Wish I could say the same about Japanese bikes.