Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News

Old 06-27-2008, 01:15 PM   #1
Administrator
Administrator

Default MIC considers new road racing series

Original Article:
MIC considers new road racing series

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article MIC considers new road racing series in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.
Administrator is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-27-2008, 02:38 PM   #2
pdad13
Founding Member

Probably just a negotiating ploy, but could we see another civil war coming?

It probably won't be good for anyone, but, I must say, DMG isn't exactly impressing anyone right now. However, if MIC wants a continuation of the current AMA product, I'm not all that interested.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 02:51 PM   #3
seruzawa
The Toad

And Matt Mladin, who has reigned during the worst period of decline of racing viewership, is being quoted as an expert for what reason? He wants to be sure that he remains King of Boredom?

"We fully appreciate the expertise, hard work and connections the DMG may bring to motorcycling."

Translation: "F-uck those a$$holes!"

"However, the independent interests of the manufacturers call for a racing series that helps promote specific motorcycle brands."

Translation: "No way the Big4 are going to allow any upstarts to rock the boat and they'd rather see racing die completely than give up control."

And it will die completely if they set up their own series that simply retains the current unsuccessful status quo. They want empty stands? They like this?

"It makes little sense for bike manufacturers to heavily invest in any competition that highlights sponsors and teams and downplays the machines themselves, as well as their technological development. So we are obliged to investigate alternatives that could do a better job of meeting our members’ respective marketing needs. "

Translation: "Better to rule in Hell than serve in Heaven. The current system where each manufacturer is guaranteed a championship in at least one class each year is to be maintained at all costs."
Old 06-29-2008, 08:40 AM   #4
acecycleins
Founding Member

It's a gamble. You can't be ready by the 2009 season. Not enough time to find promoters, tracks, sponsors and so on....... So, what are all those "Pro" riders going to do for one season. Maybe 5 guys are strong enough to get WSBK second-rate rides. No one will go all the way back to WERA (No money in it). The remainer will ride the DMG series and see how it goes. 2010 comes around and MIC gets it's series together and........ now, they have to fight for contracts for DMG riders. DMG has the 1 year under their belts and they are willing to adapt and adjust the rules in order the make the racing better and riders happy. Sponsors are paying on the purse money like DMG intended and the riders are becoming bigger personalities (like Nascar) and attendence for 2010 is almost a slam-dunk for 15-20% increase per track. MIC still is locked into the old school way- letting each manufacturer have a championship and everyone is happy. Except the fans.
DMG's proposal is suddenly looking pretty fair to guys like: Jordan, Emgo, Rockwell, Pegram and the list goes on. The point of DMG's proposal is allow all teams access to any and all parts that they believe will make the bikes better and the races closer, while not breaking the bank. American Honda, American Suzuki and to a lesser extent Kawasaki don't sell development parts to satellite (customer) teams. Those that don't think guys like Jordan, Emgo or Attack couldn't afford them anyway are selling those guys short. The Factory corse teams won't sell them. DMG's veiw is that they should in no way be allowed to do that.
In a week my article with Larry Pegram's view of what's going on with DMG and comments from the Paddock will be ready. He's of the mindset that change is good and we should give the DMG method a chance and allow them to adjust to make the show better. Larry said that he went the the Mid-Ohio Grand-AM race and noticed the attendance was smaller (right now) than AMA races but the Paddock oozes millions of dollars in investment from every hauler. He said the show is good and the fans have a great time. Isn't that what we want? Just think about it.....

Last edited by acecycleins : 06-29-2008 at 08:48 AM.
acecycleins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 11:02 AM   #5
seruzawa
The Toad

You hit the nail on the head. Sure it's a gamble. But what isn't a gamble is going on the same old way. Unless the sponsors don't care if anyone is in the stands. There simply has to be some mystery about who is going to win each race.

As I've said before, local dirt track races are 100 times more exciting that the current AMA Superbike series.
Old 06-30-2008, 08:13 AM   #6
acecycleins
Founding Member

So, Honda releases a statement that says the will not race Factory bikes in 2009 if DMG doesn't offer a Superbike platform for Liter bikes.
I understand that the OEMs are upset and some want to take their marbles and go home. My problem is they are bullying DMG to get their way. Now, you tell me if I'm wrong, but isn't that what they did for decades to AMA? Isn't that formula the reason we race fans find the current state of racing in the US so d@mn boring?
God knows we don't want to fix the broken system that everyone but the OEMs hate. Mladin is a jerk and panty waste for starting the baby whining. If Zemke, Hayes and the rest of the ship jumpers think they will have an international fan base that is as strong as what they have with in America they are sadly mistaken. They are also mistaken if they think they will land any job better than a tier 2 team. I wish everyone of the OEMs would have cornered Edmondson during the Miller race and made commitments to the future but I guess self interest comes first.
Old 06-30-2008, 08:58 AM   #7
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Maybe all the crybabies will have to get a real job and maybe then they will all come around. Mladin is crying because he knows Spies is leaving after this year, and then he can start strutting around like King Shyt again. He is easily the biggest a$$wipe in racing. AMA racing is broke, and these guys may fix it.