Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-news/)
-   -   Hayden commits to pneumatic valves (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-news/8619-hayden-commits-pneumatic-valves.html)

Administrator 06-25-2008 01:39 PM

Hayden commits to pneumatic valves

Original Article:
Hayden commits to pneumatic valves

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article Hayden commits to pneumatic valves in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

sfcdjevans 06-25-2008 01:57 PM

Not a lot of lead time between Donnington and Assen. Well Big Red has gathered data let's see what happens in Assen.

seruzawa 06-25-2008 03:19 PM

"Pneumatic valve engines were first used in MotoGP racing in 2002 with the Aprilia RS3. Suzuki and Kawasaki switched to pneumatic valve systems in 2007."

Figures. The Aprilia team didn't have to get approval from 7 Vice-Presidents, 32 ISO9000 inspectors and 135 assorted approval form signers.... all cross-referenced and in quadruplicate.

mscuddy 06-25-2008 03:51 PM

Letzee, no more carbs, points or magnetos, now no more camshafts or valve springs, just the central scrutinizer mapping all those electric/pneumatic sensors, actuators and controllers together in harmony. Wonder when they get rid of pistons and crankshafts? Scary thought...

sachiwilson 06-25-2008 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mscuddy (Post 187803)
Wonder when they get rid of pistons and crankshafts? Scary thought...

Not so scary - it's been done. Wankel engines take care of the pistons. I think you'd have to go to a jet engine to get rid of the crank, though. :)

The_AirHawk 06-25-2008 06:16 PM

My question is: Is this commitment merely a promise, or did he give them a ring or a necklace, what?

Enquiring Minds wanna know!

( I wanna know!)

pushrod 06-25-2008 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sachiwilson (Post 187811)
Not so scary - it's been done. Wankel engines take care of the pistons. I think you'd have to go to a jet engine to get rid of the crank, though. :)

Oh Sachi!

I'm not gonna say a word...

The_AirHawk 06-25-2008 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sachiwilson (Post 187811)

When in a Wankel-rotary, it's no-longer a "crankshaft" - it becomes an "eccentric shaft", so there goes yer crank, right out the window............ :eek:

sfcdjevans 06-26-2008 02:50 AM

Hah, that's funny. I just happen to watch a video with Jay Leno and the Suzuki Rotary. I can't recall where I found it but this guy got picked to be in the 2009 IBA athon and will do it on the rotary! This sounds right up Sachi's alley perhaps she has heard of this.

sachiwilson 06-26-2008 05:54 AM

Yes, I had, actually -- the IBA sent out an email about it some months back.