Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-news/)
-   -   First quarter sales down for H-D (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-news/7814-first-quarter-sales-down-for-h-d.html)

Administrator 04-17-2008 03:15 PM

First quarter sales down for H-D

Original Article:
First quarter sales down for H-D

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article First quarter sales down for H-D in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

anrajala 04-17-2008 11:57 PM

I am surprised about them having to cut the production. In fact I am forecasting they will reverse that decision not too far in the future.

With the collapsing dollar the HD sales have incresed outside US. In Finland (ok so chickenshyt in the world map of bike sales) the price has dropped a lot and the sales must have doubled or tripled. From expensive rarity HD has moved to 5th biggest brand with 5% market share, all in few years. Nowadays you can get a Dyna with the same money as 1800 Suzuki. If the dollar keeps going down you’ll start get "big" Harleys cheaper than the big Japanese.

- cruiz-euro

longride 04-18-2008 04:54 AM

Since you spent most of your time on this site arguing how much Harleys suck, and you can't do rolling burnouts with them (well, at least you can't) then why would anyone want one in the first place? Now you are talking them up, and all of a sudden they will be big sellers in Finland(whoop de do!)Which side of your face are you going to talk out of next?

TheFox 04-18-2008 08:02 AM

Chill, man.

Quote:

Originally Posted by longride (Post 182764)
Since you spent most of your time on this site arguing how much Harleys suck, and you can't do rolling burnouts with them (well, at least you can't) then why would anyone want one in the first place? Now you are talking them up, and all of a sudden they will be big sellers in Finland(whoop de do!)Which side of your face are you going to talk out of next?

I don't care for the guy very much either, but he didn't bash Harley or talk up the bikes either. He just stated from an economic standpoint, they will increase sales overseas because of the drop in value of the U.S. Dollar. It's significant because it is the converse of the story. That prediction is indifferent to whether or not he likes the bikes, and is likely to be true.

anrajala 04-18-2008 01:42 PM

Don’t worry about longride. I don’t care too much about the man myself either. He just thinks differently. In his world a real man chooses his side and sticks to it. Loyal to the cause, ignoring the contrasting facts, not seeing the other side of the coin. Never changing the opinion, not acknowledging the hues, the continuums, the other dimensions, the relations, the changing nature of things. Good Lord I have to lay off the Swedish Kopparberg cider.

Anyways, I am a long time and current Harley owner and rider. I bought it new providing employment to America, not sporting any chepo antique chit from the time when Joan Collins was still a virgin. All what I am bloody saying is that why in the name of God the same guys who do this (check the slide show), when it comes to producing big powerful cruisers, totally get their buttonhole reamed by the limeys and japs?

wcbstv.com - Hooray For The Red, White And Zooom!

- cruiz-euro

TheFox 04-18-2008 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anrajala (Post 182805)
All what I am bloody saying is that why in the name of God the same guys who do this (check the slide show), when it comes to producing big powerful cruisers, totally get their buttonhole reamed by the limeys and japs?

wcbstv.com - Hooray For The Red, White And Zooom!

- cruiz-euro

I don't think they do, man. I think the quality and maintanence issues as well as fit and finish of a harly is generally much better than a similar product from another manufacturer.

Harleys don't really require any real maint beyond oil and transmission fluid changes. They rarely break down and those that do have usually been modified from stock extensively (or poorly, in the case of "loud pipes").

Yamaha valves have to be checked every 8k. Drop the exhaust on a RoadStar to do an oil change. Check the weld detail on a VTX swingarm...it looks like crap. Suzuki Intruder batteries install from UNDER the bike. Engine drops on hondas to swap out water pumps. It goes on and on.

Hell, a 17k Road King now has Brembos, ABS, heated gear, good rubber, and a quality build. You can wax it, change the oil, and ride it stock and be sure that it will require next to no attention for 20 years or 100,000 miles. That's an engineering feat any way you look at it.

Harleys make sense in America. We are a wide open land of mostly straight roads and police who take speeding way too seriously when you're out in the boon docks. Sportbikes are honestly fairly useless. I guess this is just the way we evolved.

As an owner, Harleys must have some appeal, otherwise you wouldn't own one.

vermicious 04-19-2008 09:18 AM

Well and objectively stated.