Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-news/)
-   -   H-D salespeople top consumer survey (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-news/7780-h-d-salespeople-top-consumer-survey.html)

acecycleins 04-15-2008 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longride (Post 182565)
Die hards still hate the Evo. How many of those guys are still around with their FTF shirts? 10 maybe? Harley knew which side of the bread to butter, while Coke didn't have a clue. Nobody clamored for the remake of the Shovel, although they did want their old Coke back.

Oddly, S&S made a "new" shovel and it sells better than Coke II......

vermicious 04-15-2008 06:34 PM

I don't imagine many of those people bought from Frederick H-D in Frederick, MD. I've had (almost universally) bad experiences with them and my Uncle (who first dealt with them some 20 or 30 years ago) had negative and near-fatal experiences with them.

I'd rather drive hundreds of miles out of my way then give them another dime.

longride 04-15-2008 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acecycleins (Post 182573)
Oddly, S&S made a "new" shovel and it sells better than Coke II......

Actually, S&S makes the Shovel that Harley should have made in 1966. Too bad with the horrible casting quality and zero quality control Harley had at that time, they manufactured the crap that nearly put them under. S&S made a whole business of making Harleys lots better than Harley did back then. The first thing they made was a carb that actually worked, and it went from there.

TheFox 04-15-2008 11:04 PM

Well this has been interesting.

This has been the best thread on here in a while. Why is it Harley threads usually bring out the in-depth conversations, despite most people here not riding them?

I've to say that I'm 29 and I think my next bike may be a Harley. That or a Guzzi California Vintage and in comparing that to a Road King, the Guzzi would be a poor decision fiscally. Who knows. It's a couple years off anyways.

I tire of all the baggage that comes with owning a bike. The sportbike mafia douchebags are worse that the harley guys who have never had a bike besides their 02 fat boy they overpaid for. Grumble. If I see one more guy with gelled hair and a joe rocket jacket with their helmet safely mounted to the rear side panel I'm going to scream.

What do I like to do? Just ride. Most of my riding has wound up being in a straight line and then when I did get to the twisties, I'm not using the bike's potential at all. It's not safe to push it on the street and who wants to get the tickets regardless? Why not get a Harley? Roll along, enjoy the scenery and scrape some floorboards. I'd probably feel like an American Hero.

The trip to Europe I'd like to do? Tell me it wouldn't be cool to rock a big-ass Road King through Italy. I mean, any bike would be cool, but just riding from site to side in comfort? That has some real potential.

I'd like an '08 with the 6 gallon tank, Brembos with ABS, heated grips and two-tone baby blue with black. Maybe the white and silver. Put big fishtail extensions on the exhaust so they stick out past the rear, a luggage rack to tie my tent and sleeping bag to and just get around America and not worry so much. Guy can dream, right?

longride 04-16-2008 05:56 AM

"I've to say that I'm 29 and I think my next bike may be a Harley."

Sounds like the 'Harley Hype' caught you hook, line, and sinker. Make sure you run right in there like every other Harley buyer and just pony up whatever they ask for without questioning a thing. Only then can you join the uninformed hoardes of Harley dullards! :)

On the serious side, that would be a pretty good choice for the type of riding you want to do. Speeding around looking over your shoulder for cops gets old after a while. Much nicer to get on a long twisty two laner, crank up the tunes, and cruise the day away.

sarnali2 04-16-2008 08:19 AM

Harleys have a way of getting under your skin, there's no getting around it. Ridden within their performance envelope they're tough to beat. The nice thing is you can just treat it like it is, an excellent all round road bike and ride the wheels off it. Or you can buy into the "lifestyle" and be part of that scene, you'll have a ball either way.

Buzglyd 04-16-2008 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarnali2 (Post 182603)
Harleys have a way of getting under your skin, there's no getting around it. Ridden within their performance envelope they're tough to beat. The nice thing is you can just treat it like it is, an excellent all round road bike and ride the wheels off it. Or you can buy into the "lifestyle" and be part of that scene, you'll have a ball either way.

I always thought you looked good in armchaps.

vermicious 04-16-2008 09:23 AM

I've had two Harleys and have no real complaint with the latter of the two (a Roadglide). It just wasn't the bike for me. The sportster, on the other hand, was a vibrating torture rack for anything but the shortest of rides.

sachiwilson 04-16-2008 09:35 AM

What year was your Sportster? They didn't get the rubber mount engines until 2004, I think.

seruzawa 04-16-2008 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheFox (Post 182590)
This has been the best thread on here in a while. Why is it Harley threads usually bring out the in-depth conversations, despite most people here not riding them?

I've to say that I'm 29 and I think my next bike may be a Harley. That or a Guzzi California Vintage and in comparing that to a Road King, the Guzzi would be a poor decision fiscally. Who knows. It's a couple years off anyways.

I tire of all the baggage that comes with owning a bike. The sportbike mafia douchebags are worse that the harley guys who have never had a bike besides their 02 fat boy they overpaid for. Grumble. If I see one more guy with gelled hair and a joe rocket jacket with their helmet safely mounted to the rear side panel I'm going to scream.

What do I like to do? Just ride. Most of my riding has wound up being in a straight line and then when I did get to the twisties, I'm not using the bike's potential at all. It's not safe to push it on the street and who wants to get the tickets regardless? Why not get a Harley? Roll along, enjoy the scenery and scrape some floorboards. I'd probably feel like an American Hero.

The trip to Europe I'd like to do? Tell me it wouldn't be cool to rock a big-ass Road King through Italy. I mean, any bike would be cool, but just riding from site to side in comfort? That has some real potential.

I'd like an '08 with the 6 gallon tank, Brembos with ABS, heated grips and two-tone baby blue with black. Maybe the white and silver. Put big fishtail extensions on the exhaust so they stick out past the rear, a luggage rack to tie my tent and sleeping bag to and just get around America and not worry so much. Guy can dream, right?

The Guzzi dealer in Boise, Id has a new 2005 Breva 1100 for sale for $7500. He had two but one of my riding buddies bought one. Sweet ride! He owns like 7 BMWs and marvels at how comparatively light and good handling the Guzzi is. The dealer will drive to the airport and pick you up. Why wait?