Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2008, 04:24 PM   #1
Administrator
Administrator

 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: On My Bike
Posts: 35
Default Harley-Davidson owners set lofty mileage goal

Original Article:
Harley-Davidson owners set lofty mileage goal

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article Harley-Davidson owners set lofty mileage goal in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

Last edited by sachiwilson : 03-04-2008 at 04:49 PM. Reason: MoBonics
Administrator is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-04-2008, 04:31 PM   #2
The_AirHawk
Founding Member
 
The_AirHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Leanin' Tower O' P-P-P-P-POWAAAAAAAAA!!!!
Posts: 11,491
Default

Quote:
The Harley Owners Group (H.O.G.) is asking members to join together on June 30, 2008 for Million Mile Monday.
Why not the First day of each New Year? With conservative estimates at 14-Gazillion Harley's out on the road, all the H.O.G. membership would have to do is wheel their bikes out into their driveway, start it up, then put 'em in gear and ease out the clutch enough to roll a foot or two; then back to the garage 'til next New Year.................


(Zzzzzzt-Ploink! Trolltrolltrolltrolltrolltroll.........)
__________________
Parfois, on fait pas semblant
Sometimes, it's not pretend
Oderint Dum Metuant
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 08:11 AM   #3
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

 
sarnali2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Sittin' down by my window, lookin' at the rain.
Posts: 8,719
Default

Well I was GONNA' ride my Harley today till I saw everything was covered in frost...clear black sky and stars twinkling away...a freakin' winter wonderland I tell ya' brrrrrr. Did I tell yaz the heater in my Exploder works very well?....


Anyway, ya ya ya, a million Harleys one mile a year, yadda yadda yadda...

(flippin' hillbilly's...)
__________________
"Carpe` Throttelum -Loud Suits Save Lives"

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 11:34 AM   #4
tvrides
Registered Member
 
tvrides's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Boise, ID
Posts: 8
Default Sounds fuelish

Thanks to HOG and their Million Miles Day we'll probably see come competition from other groups.

The Gold Wing and BMW folks will undoubtly get their million miles with far fewer participants.

That, in turn, will make Harley's Own Groupies look like bunch of candy assed poseurs thanks to their protect your investment, keep the odometer reading low herd mentality.

Here's hoping that they'll all stay on the stuporslabs doing their stoopid it's the quantity, not the quality of miles that counts on June 30th.
tvrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 11:37 AM   #5
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member
 
Kenneth_Moore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: VIsiting the GIft Shop in the Pit of DIspair
Posts: 7,118
Default

I think they should have to do the miles on one wheel for them to count. Maybe give them a 2X bonus for stoppie miles versus wheelie miles?
__________________
www.kennethmoore.org
Kenneth_Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 11:55 AM   #6
seruzawa
The Toad

 
seruzawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: 8501 ft.
Posts: 17,461
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvrides View Post
Thanks to HOG and their Million Miles Day we'll probably see come competition from other groups.

The Gold Wing and BMW folks will undoubtly get their million miles with far fewer participants.

That, in turn, will make Harley's Own Groupies look like bunch of candy assed poseurs thanks to their protect your investment, keep the odometer reading low herd mentality.

Here's hoping that they'll all stay on the stuporslabs doing their stoopid it's the quantity, not the quality of miles that counts on June 30th.
I guess you don't get out on the Interstates much. HD guys easily outnumber everything else put together. Probably 80% of people I see touring are on Hogs.

If you want the REAL low mileage crowd go to any place the CBRYZZXGSXers hang out.
__________________
"Make no mistake, Communism lost a big argument - one we know today as the 20th century."
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 12:01 PM   #7
The_AirHawk
Founding Member
 
The_AirHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Leanin' Tower O' P-P-P-P-POWAAAAAAAAA!!!!
Posts: 11,491
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
I guess you don't get out on the Interstates much. HD guys easily outnumber everything else put together. Probably 80% of people I see touring are on Hogs.

If you want the REAL low mileage crowd go to any place the CBRYZZXGSXers hang out.
I live on the edge of some "curvy" roads, probably the #2 sportbike Heaven East of the Rockies. This last weekend was in the 70's (F). Saw probably 100 cruisers, three sportbikes (and I'm counting that Concourse as a sportbike, I don't care WHAT she said!).

Unfortunately, I spent it finishing-up my tinfoil shack to store all my junk in, so only managed to observe "from the sidelines" rather than out riding around.
__________________
Parfois, on fait pas semblant
Sometimes, it's not pretend
Oderint Dum Metuant
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 07:37 AM   #8
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

 
sarnali2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Sittin' down by my window, lookin' at the rain.
Posts: 8,719
Default

It's a pretty even mix here, "probably" more cruiser types but an awful lot of sportbikes too so it's pretty close. V Stroms, Multistrada's, KLR's and GS Beemer models are pretty well represented also, probably because the roads are so torn up and bumpy....
__________________
"Carpe` Throttelum -Loud Suits Save Lives"

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 09:06 AM   #9
tvrides
Registered Member
 
tvrides's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Boise, ID
Posts: 8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
I guess you don't get out on the Interstates much. HD guys easily outnumber everything else put together. Probably 80% of people I see touring are on Hogs.
Have you ever counted all the Interstates in Idaho?

I-90 btw WA and MT (east-west).
I-84 btw OR and UT (east-west/southeast-northwest).
I-184 connector btw I-84 and downtown Boise.
I-15 btw UT and MT (north-south).
I-86 btw I-84 and I-15 (east-west).

OTOH, plenty of HDs on all the winding 2-lane roads out here. Idaho is HD country and, yes, have seen tons of them on I-84 including those with out-of-state plates.

There will always be those into keeping their odometer readings low and those who don't give a flip about the return on their investments as they actually bought their bikes to *ride*.

My main beef with HOG is that they have a tendency to form overly large groups as a rolling traffic obstruction comparable to that of a motorhome convoy. Large groups should be split into several subgroups.
tvrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 09:48 AM   #10
seruzawa
The Toad

 
seruzawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: 8501 ft.
Posts: 17,461
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvrides View Post
Have you ever counted all the Interstates in Idaho?

I-90 btw WA and MT (east-west).
I-84 btw OR and UT (east-west/southeast-northwest).
I-184 connector btw I-84 and downtown Boise.
I-15 btw UT and MT (north-south).
I-86 btw I-84 and I-15 (east-west).

OTOH, plenty of HDs on all the winding 2-lane roads out here. Idaho is HD country and, yes, have seen tons of them on I-84 including those with out-of-state plates.

There will always be those into keeping their odometer readings low and those who don't give a flip about the return on their investments as they actually bought their bikes to *ride*.

My main beef with HOG is that they have a tendency to form overly large groups as a rolling traffic obstruction comparable to that of a motorhome convoy. Large groups should be split into several subgroups.
In Utah on the Interstates in summer you can hardly throw a rock without hitting a Harley.I

'm not in love with the group rides either. But it's a canard to lump the HD guys as low miles dilettantes when in fact the vast majority of motorcycle owners of all types are pretty low mileage. I buy only used bikes and most I've bought were several years old with less than 10K on them. High mileage bikes are a minority. I bought a 2000 ZRX1100 in 2006...only 16K on. A 1980 GL1100 in 2007... only 23K on it. There were several older GLs at the time for sale on ksl.com and only one had over 40K. Before the advent of lcd odometers I used to make a habit of checking the miles on any bike I saw parked. I came to the conclusion long ago that 90% of riders on all brands are dilettantes.

That might change with gas going up and up.
__________________
"Make no mistake, Communism lost a big argument - one we know today as the 20th century."
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off