Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-news/)
-   -   Harley-Davidson owners set lofty mileage goal (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-news/7406-harley-davidson-owners-set-lofty-mileage-goal.html)

Administrator 03-04-2008 04:24 PM

Harley-Davidson owners set lofty mileage goal

Original Article:
Harley-Davidson owners set lofty mileage goal

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article Harley-Davidson owners set lofty mileage goal in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

The_AirHawk 03-04-2008 04:31 PM

Quote:

The Harley Owners Group (H.O.G.) is asking members to join together on June 30, 2008 for Million Mile Monday.
Why not the First day of each New Year? With conservative estimates at 14-Gazillion Harley's out on the road, all the H.O.G. membership would have to do is wheel their bikes out into their driveway, start it up, then put 'em in gear and ease out the clutch enough to roll a foot or two; then back to the garage 'til next New Year.................

(Zzzzzzt-Ploink! Trolltrolltrolltrolltrolltroll.........)

sarnali2 03-05-2008 08:11 AM

Well I was GONNA' ride my Harley today till I saw everything was covered in frost...clear black sky and stars twinkling away...a freakin' winter wonderland I tell ya' brrrrrr. Did I tell yaz the heater in my Exploder works very well?....

Anyway, ya ya ya, a million Harleys one mile a year, yadda yadda yadda...

(flippin' hillbilly's...)

tvrides 03-05-2008 11:34 AM

Sounds fuelish

Thanks to HOG and their Million Miles Day we'll probably see come competition from other groups.

The Gold Wing and BMW folks will undoubtly get their million miles with far fewer participants.

That, in turn, will make Harley's Own Groupies look like bunch of candy assed poseurs thanks to their protect your investment, keep the odometer reading low herd mentality.

Here's hoping that they'll all stay on the stuporslabs doing their stoopid it's the quantity, not the quality of miles that counts on June 30th.

Kenneth_Moore 03-05-2008 11:37 AM

I think they should have to do the miles on one wheel for them to count. Maybe give them a 2X bonus for stoppie miles versus wheelie miles?

seruzawa 03-05-2008 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tvrides (Post 180052)
Thanks to HOG and their Million Miles Day we'll probably see come competition from other groups.

The Gold Wing and BMW folks will undoubtly get their million miles with far fewer participants.

That, in turn, will make Harley's Own Groupies look like bunch of candy assed poseurs thanks to their protect your investment, keep the odometer reading low herd mentality.

Here's hoping that they'll all stay on the stuporslabs doing their stoopid it's the quantity, not the quality of miles that counts on June 30th.

I guess you don't get out on the Interstates much. HD guys easily outnumber everything else put together. Probably 80% of people I see touring are on Hogs.

If you want the REAL low mileage crowd go to any place the CBRYZZXGSXers hang out.

The_AirHawk 03-05-2008 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seruzawa (Post 180058)
I guess you don't get out on the Interstates much. HD guys easily outnumber everything else put together. Probably 80% of people I see touring are on Hogs.

If you want the REAL low mileage crowd go to any place the CBRYZZXGSXers hang out.

I live on the edge of some "curvy" roads, probably the #2 sportbike Heaven East of the Rockies. This last weekend was in the 70's (F). Saw probably 100 cruisers, three sportbikes (and I'm counting that Concourse as a sportbike, I don't care WHAT she said!).

Unfortunately, I spent it finishing-up my tinfoil shack to store all my junk in, so only managed to observe "from the sidelines" rather than out riding around.

sarnali2 03-06-2008 07:37 AM

It's a pretty even mix here, "probably" more cruiser types but an awful lot of sportbikes too so it's pretty close. V Stroms, Multistrada's, KLR's and GS Beemer models are pretty well represented also, probably because the roads are so torn up and bumpy....

tvrides 03-06-2008 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seruzawa (Post 180058)

Have you ever counted all the Interstates in Idaho?

I-90 btw WA and MT (east-west).
I-84 btw OR and UT (east-west/southeast-northwest).
I-184 connector btw I-84 and downtown Boise.
I-15 btw UT and MT (north-south).
I-86 btw I-84 and I-15 (east-west).

OTOH, plenty of HDs on all the winding 2-lane roads out here. Idaho is HD country and, yes, have seen tons of them on I-84 including those with out-of-state plates.

There will always be those into keeping their odometer readings low and those who don't give a flip about the return on their investments as they actually bought their bikes to *ride*.

My main beef with HOG is that they have a tendency to form overly large groups as a rolling traffic obstruction comparable to that of a motorhome convoy. Large groups should be split into several subgroups.

seruzawa 03-06-2008 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tvrides (Post 180092)
Have you ever counted all the Interstates in Idaho?

I-90 btw WA and MT (east-west).
I-84 btw OR and UT (east-west/southeast-northwest).
I-184 connector btw I-84 and downtown Boise.
I-15 btw UT and MT (north-south).
I-86 btw I-84 and I-15 (east-west).

OTOH, plenty of HDs on all the winding 2-lane roads out here. Idaho is HD country and, yes, have seen tons of them on I-84 including those with out-of-state plates.

There will always be those into keeping their odometer readings low and those who don't give a flip about the return on their investments as they actually bought their bikes to *ride*.

My main beef with HOG is that they have a tendency to form overly large groups as a rolling traffic obstruction comparable to that of a motorhome convoy. Large groups should be split into several subgroups.

In Utah on the Interstates in summer you can hardly throw a rock without hitting a Harley.I

'm not in love with the group rides either. But it's a canard to lump the HD guys as low miles dilettantes when in fact the vast majority of motorcycle owners of all types are pretty low mileage. I buy only used bikes and most I've bought were several years old with less than 10K on them. High mileage bikes are a minority. I bought a 2000 ZRX1100 in 2006...only 16K on. A 1980 GL1100 in 2007... only 23K on it. There were several older GLs at the time for sale on ksl.com and only one had over 40K. Before the advent of lcd odometers I used to make a habit of checking the miles on any bike I saw parked. I came to the conclusion long ago that 90% of riders on all brands are dilettantes.

That might change with gas going up and up.