Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-news/)
-   -   Need advice!:starting grid for 600s and 1000s (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-news/7366-need-advice-starting-grid-for-600s-1000s.html)

nicholasm 02-28-2008 06:23 PM

Need advice!:starting grid for 600s and 1000s

Caribbean motorcycling is now picking up. At South Dakota, Guyana, we want to phase out 1000s and run the 600supersport class alone. We have about ten 600s in the majority, and also three 1000s riders who need another yr to phase out their bikes but still want to race this year. What's the best starting grid rules we can use for both in the same race? Handicap the race? Push the 1000s to the back of the grid? We voted to let them run together until our end-of-season race in Nov '08 but with separate trophies, but this doesn't make sense with only three 1000s? Some of the 1000s are actually having slower times than the 600s!What about if we reverse-grid the riders i.e the fastest goes to the back and the slowest on the pole? Can that be done to make the races more competetive? Is that a backward step? Most of the guys race for fun so to block out the 1000s is not going to be well received.

mscuddy 02-28-2008 06:58 PM

In Latvia they take out one sparkplug of the liter bikes, and make the riders wear bunny slippers to make it more competitive. Also, farmers with donkey carts are stationed around the race course, and pull out in front of anyone with a clear horsepower advantage. Of course, this gave the Valmobile and GS500 riders somewhat of an advantage, so they make them ride blindfolded.

pushrod 02-29-2008 07:51 AM

If you have to run the two displacements together, the easiest way to handicap the liter bikes would be to add weight. Or take off the front fairing, I guess.

I believe, Cuddy, the farmers are using their carts in the fields now to bring in the early Spring hairy pebble harvest.

sfcdjevans 02-29-2008 04:14 PM

It all depends on what your looking for. There are examples in the many sanctioning bodies in automotive sport. Will the 600's lap the K's in a race? Do you want the K's to act as moving chicanes for the 600's to negotiate? Are you looking for "safety" or "adventure"? Answer these and or similiar question and presto! Of course you have already been offered one sanctioning bodys answer, beware copywrite issues. Better check with Dorna...

There you go I just came to me.. use a short qualifier/heat race to determine the grid. That'll sort it out, kinda like natural selection.

Sorry, can't help it. Riders Warehouse has been trying to get rid of green,"Ninja", slippers for ages they'll fit right in. If I had any balls I'd have a pair.

The_AirHawk 02-29-2008 04:47 PM

Easy - have the 1000's PULL the donkey carts, but have 'em loaded with fresh manure and provide the riders with "scoops" so they can fling shovelfuls at any 600's that seem to "get too uppity"..........

nicholasm 02-29-2008 10:27 PM

Ok I do have a sense of humour..mscuddy you are pretty talented but leading others astray!....but my filter is on while I look for the best answer. Please note the track has 6 turns and is very short, 1 mile, and the Ks are naturally beating the 600s on the straights so the problem is the Ks and it being unfair to the 6s

The_AirHawk 03-01-2008 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicholasm (Post 179811)
Ok I do have a sense of humour..mscuddy you are pretty talented but leading others astray!....but my filter is on while I look for the best answer. Please note the track has 6 turns and is very short, 1 mile, and the Ks are naturally beating the 600s on the straights so the problem is the Ks and it being unfair to the 6s

OK, now that you've supplied a bit more info - is it possible to incorporate a chicane or "gate" in the straightaways to slow-down the 1000's? If there's enough room, this can be easily accomplished with an armful of safety-cones.

sfcdjevans 03-01-2008 07:38 AM

Brilliant!