Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-news/)
-   -   21yo shot off motorcyle in GA (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-news/7362-21yo-shot-off-motorcyle-ga.html)

acecycleins 02-28-2008 01:13 PM

21yo shot off motorcyle in GA

Man arrested for killing motorcyclist who followed daughters
BOGART, Ga. -
A man is facing a murder charge after authorities say he shot and killed a motorcyclist who followed his daughters home from a
department store.
Richard Harold Gear, 45, claimed he was acting in self-defense when he shot Bryan Joseph Mough around 6:45 p.m. Monday as Mough
drove his motorcycle past Gear's house, Oconee County Sheriff Scott Berry said.
The daughters, ages 17 and 19, had called their father on a cell phone to tell him they were being followed, Berry said. As they arrived
home, Gear was waiting at the end of his driveway with a pistol, Berry said.
Mough, 21, drove past the house, turned around and made another pass. Gear fired his .40-caliber semiautomatic gun two or three
times, hitting Mough once in the back, Berry said.
Gear called 911 after the shooting, as did neighbors, and sheriff's deputies arrested Gear on a murder charge, Berry said.
"He made an unspecified claim of self-defense," Berry said.
Mough was pronounced dead at a hospital.
Gear's daughters and Mough apparently left the parking lot of a Target in nearby Athens around the same time Monday evening, Berry
said. Tempers flared as the drivers headed west toward Bogart.
Gear's daughters told investigators Mough cut them off, they made obscene gestures at him and Mough ran into their car at one point,
Sheriff Berry said.
"There is evidence of a collision between Mough's motorcycle and the vehicle operated by Gear's daughters," Berry said, adding
authorities do not yet know who initiated contact.
"We've got questions about how it happened," he said.
Investigators went to Target for witnesses and looked at surveillance videos but found nothing to indicate Mough met the girls inside the
store or in the parking lot, Berry said.

My wife works with the father of this kid. On the local hour of Neal Boortz's show he and I had a go on the topic and I was given an unusual amount of time to relay my take.
In short, these girls are in CYA mode. Trying to look like victims they call daddy. Dad goes to the edge of his driveway and when the kid turns around to back track out of the subdivision the father shoots him.
Regardless of fault between the rider and the teen girls, this kid felt he was the victim and wanted to let those girls know he had an issue. With the hearsay and facts I can conclude that the boy was of the midset that these girls almost (if not actually) hit him in the parking lot. He lashed out (kicking from what I've been told) at the driver's door and the girls took off.
If those girls were, in fact victims, then you know full well that everything would have come to a screeching halt and police would have entered the picture. That didn't happen, though. Leading me to believe that the girls punked the guy and thought it would be better to just leave. Problem is our 21yo, full of p!ss and vinegar, wanted those girls to know he was there and he was bent.
I realize the dad was probably in full on protect mode for the little girls. Problem is dad has a past at shooting at teens that erk him. He's in jail. Kid is dead and now I'm smack dab in the middle of leading 300+ riders to a funeral on Saturday.
If you live in and or around the Winder, GA (Near Athens) then please attend this function. As squidly as the kid may have been, no one deserves a bullet in the back for riding by a house. All he had to do was tell the police the address when he left the area. Now, the parents have to bury a 21 yo who used bad judgement to solve a problem.
Cantact me through MO if you'd like more info on Saturdays funeral.
Kirk

seruzawa 02-28-2008 01:27 PM

Whoa, hold it. The clown has a history of shooting at people?

Let that be a lesson. Don't follow people or try to confront them. If you feel you've been seriously wronged then get their plate number, try to get some witnesses and call the cops. It's even illegal to follow people in many states... it's called stalking. Best to just let it go. Otherwise you can end up dead no matter how "right" you are.

longride 02-28-2008 01:44 PM

I just figgered that's what them good ole' boys do down there in Georgia. Good advice Seru. Not worth dying because you almost got killed. You are at a severe disadvantage on a motorcycle trying to harass someone in an auto. Get their license plate # and settle the score later.

pushrod 02-28-2008 01:53 PM

Kirk,

That really sucks!

I can't get all the way up there, but I'm with you in spirit.

R.I.P. Bryan. God Bless

acecycleins 02-28-2008 01:59 PM

It's quite the insane little featurette- isn't it? I am caught in the middle of this and I've never met the kid. The guys on georgiasportbike.com and blokessportbike.com are organizing the ride and I guess being the old guy (I'm 41 so shut up) they are organizing around suggestions that I have made. I really wish this hadn't happened to the kid but youngsters on sportbikes usually make a bad mix. His temper got the best of him. If he'd been 5 yrs older this would probably not have occured. Age and wisdom do go hand in hand huh?.
Peace out- I'm going home to cook for my reckless teenaged daughters.
Kirk

vermicious 02-28-2008 02:49 PM

Cripes. I don't care what his mindset was I call that first degree murder.

The_AirHawk 02-28-2008 03:25 PM

A similar incident happened about ten-years ago near my Dad's place - group of teens were "playing mailbox baseball", and were causing general mayhem.

One farmer who had been a victim of this (although possibly not these teens) several times, and had his house shot at, heard the commotion late at night and investigated. He claimed he heard the boys shooting, possibly at him, so he fired the rifle he was carrying into the back of the vehicle several times, wounding one and fatally-wounding another. (although no weapon was found in the boys' possession)

It all went to trial, everybody was an absolute Saint before this incident, had never done anything wrong, blah-blah-blah. Anyhow, the farmer was Acquitted of the 2nd-degree Murder charge, and the other charges were downgraded to "reckless discharge of a firearm" or some-such, to which he pleaded guilty, and got probation.

The surviving boys got probation, community service, and fines (destruction of Federal Property - the mailbox) in a separate trial.

No "moral" of this story, the current case just reminded me of what happened back then. It's not a foregone-conclusion that the shooter will serve time in Prison, that's all.

Sorry to hear about this, my sympathies go out to the boy's Family.

acecycleins 02-28-2008 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vermicious (Post 179715)
Cripes. I don't care what his mindset was I call that first degree murder.

He's in jail for murder- no bond, yet. The girls are still trying to sell the story that they are the victims. The police will probably be able to put together the crimes the girls commited (Hit & Run) after the CSI take a look at the damage to the car. The sad part is watching all sides try to spin this thing. Shame of it all is that the kid will never be able to tell his side of the event.

pplassm 02-29-2008 08:01 AM

I heard Boortz tried to make it sound like the rider attacked the shooter. What an @ss.

sarnali2 02-29-2008 01:00 PM

That's f*cked up all the way around, being the father of teenage girls I know it's real easy to get real stupid if you think someone is threatening them, however you don't go around popping people for riding past your house.

I really feel for the kid and his family, you just can't take things personally on a bike. It's a no-win in any confrontation with a cage, you just have to let it slide..get their license number if you can or pray they die of stomach cancer..whatever but following them is considered harrassment and or stalking and you're the one that's wrong, everytime.

It's sad this kid had to learn the lesson the hard way.