Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-news/)
-   -   BMW Confident Going Into Daytona 200 (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-news/7306-bmw-confident-going-into-daytona-200-a.html)

seruzawa 02-21-2008 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acecycleins (Post 179232)
Yosh doesn't want to play in the 200 because they're too worried that the platform they would race can't keep up with Kawi, Yamaha and Ducati. Pity, really.

Oh, heavens no. Why would anyone ever compete in a class where they aren't assured of a podium finish the first time out? (/sarc)

acecycleins 02-21-2008 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomk2 (Post 179237)
Maybe the reason moneybags Honda is throwing a million dollars at a support class race is because the best they can do in the premier class is compete for third place.

That's a completely silly and nonsensical statement. Honda races the 200 because of history- period. Suzuki could ready 2 bikes for Tommy and do it with very little effort. Anyway, American Honda decided 3 years ago that they didn't want to lease HRC bikes and build the things in California. The learning curve has been steep but only because Yosh has Suzuki advancing at a rate no-one can compete with. The Hodgeson raced CBR should regularly achieve podiums (if not wins) this season in Superbike. Also, the Suzuki 600s have not competed at the same level as Kawasaki or Yamaha for at least 2 season. Even the Ducatis race at a higher level in FX than Suzuki. The Honda exception is the Erion team. They can compete with Josh Hayes piloting an FX bike and win. Is it Honda factory support or Erion tuning? I thing Erion is the answer to that question.

longride 02-21-2008 01:20 PM

"The Hodgeson raced CBR should regularly achieve podiums (if not wins) this season in Superbike."

So that means Honda has 3rd place sewed up?

acecycleins 02-22-2008 05:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longride (Post 179247)
"The Hodgeson raced CBR should regularly achieve podiums (if not wins) this season in Superbike."

So that means Honda has 3rd place sewed up?

Yep- but on the bright side it's a two year deal and when Ben goes to GP next season Neil will be fighting for second. When Honda gives him the one year extention and Matt retires for 2010 then the championship is Hondas for the taking. Baby steps, you know.

Kenneth_Moore 02-22-2008 05:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acecycleins (Post 179244)
That's a completely silly and nonsensical statement. Honda races the 200 because of history- period.

I can't say if it's true this year, but last year the race had Honda's name on it! It was the "Honda Daytona 200" or something like that. Guess they really need to show up if they're doing that again this year too.

seruzawa 02-22-2008 06:23 AM

I'm glad to see BMW competing again. The more manufacturers involved the better. However I'm not sure how racing will improve BMW sales, which is the basic reason for racing efforts. BMW's trying to be attractive to younger buyers since BMW has an aging market problem somewhat similar to HD's. Younger buyers aren't going to run out and buy new K12s any more than they run out and buy new Heritage Springer HDs. They'd like to but most can't afford them. They'll end up on R1s rather than K12s because they are 1/3 cheaper. Same same the 650s.

Finally, BMWs sporty models (Ks and 650s) are still inferior performance-wise to the competition. I just don't see racing as much of a boost for their sales. The young will still opt for the
$6K cheaper and faster R1.

(Is anyone else irritated that BMW decided to use the "K" prefiz for the new transverse chain drive engines same as for the K12 Bricks?)

sarnali2 02-22-2008 07:18 AM

A friend of mine just bought a K1200R that's a rolling art work, runs like a bat outa' hell too. Of course he's in his late 50's and paid close to $20k for it...

still, I'm sure the fact that they're racing at Daytona was a major factor in his purchase..(ahem...)