Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News

Old 02-20-2008, 11:07 AM   #11
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Is it just me, or does it seem like to y'all that there aren't any "big names" in the race this year? Usually I know at least a few of the contenders, not this year. Also, it seems that M/C racing is increasingly becoming all about the team, and not the individual. I got that impression especially watching Superbike in 07.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-20-2008, 11:45 AM   #12
acecycleins
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
Is it just me, or does it seem like to y'all that there aren't any "big names" in the race this year? Usually I know at least a few of the contenders, not this year. Also, it seems that M/C racing is increasingly becoming all about the team, and not the individual. I got that impression especially watching Superbike in 07.
Duhamel, Hodgeson on Hondas, Eric & Ben Bostrom and Jason DiSalvo on Yamahas, Chaz Davies on Attack Kawasaki, Jake Zemke on the Erion Honda, Roger Lee Hayden on the Kawaski, Larry Pegram on Ducati are just a few.

Fading memory is the first to go. We're not in our 20s anymore and the guys we remember the most have long since retired. The majority of Superbike snobs (Mladin and Spies are 2 that come to mind) will sit it out because they think riding the 600s are beneath them. The real racers will find themselves on bikes. With the list of different machines racing the 200 we should be entertained no matter who wins.
Old 02-20-2008, 12:49 PM   #13
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acecycleins View Post
Duhamel, Eric & Ben Bostrom, Jason DiSalvo Roger Lee Hayden
I guess there are a couple of names I recognize. I'll root for Duhamel since he's an old fart like me! He either won or was second in the two best 200 races I ever saw. If I recall correctly, he either won or was second with a broken ankle one year.

How about a MoFo meetup before the race? I used to buy my tickets in advance, but since I'm meeting at least a couple guys at the track I'm going to buy on site this year. Saturday am? Or Friday night for pre-race hangover inducing adult beverages?
Old 02-20-2008, 01:38 PM   #14
acecycleins
Founding Member

Quote:
I guess there are a couple of names I recognize. I'll root for Duhamel since he's an old fart like me! He either won or was second in the two best 200 races I ever saw. If I recall correctly, he either won or was second with a broken ankle one year.

How about a MoFo meetup before the race? I used to buy my tickets in advance, but since I'm meeting at least a couple guys at the track I'm going to buy on site this year. Saturday am? Or Friday night for pre-race hangover inducing adult beverages?
Superstock and supersport races are thurs- motocross friday night- superbike and fx sat.

What day do you want to be there again? How many days early can you take off?
Old 02-20-2008, 02:07 PM   #15
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
What day do you want to be there again? How many days early can you take off?
Looks like I'll ride up Wednesday after work, stay thru Sunday. Still need a place to stay? I can make arrangements for you even if I'm not there yet.
Old 02-20-2008, 02:13 PM   #16
acecycleins
Founding Member

Quote:
Looks like I'll ride up Wednesday after work, stay thru Sunday. Still need a place to stay? I can make arrangements for you even if I'm not there yet.
Nah, if I head out Wed morning I should be fine- I'll call you and get your Mom's address again and you tell me the time you will get there and I'll be there soon after. The Editor of the magazine I work for may need a place, however. The place that he was scheduled to stay at has fallen through and I believe he's scrambling. I figured I'd bring my sleeping bag and hang out in some corner if it's alright.....
Old 02-20-2008, 02:59 PM   #17
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Nah, if I head out Wed morning I should be fine- I'll call you and get your Mom's address again and you tell me the time you will get there and I'll be there soon after. The Editor of the magazine I work for may need a place, however. The place that he was scheduled to stay at has fallen through and I believe he's scrambling. I figured I'd bring my sleeping bag and hang out in some corner if it's alright.....
No problema, Kirk. There's room for your pal cause Mike decided not to go. (He just bought a brand new 08 Electra Glide Ultra, and then decides he doesn't have money to go to Bike Week!)

There are 5 "bedrooms," but only 3 actually have beds. Bring an airbed and you can stay upstairs in the office or den. I'll bring at least one airbed too.

Last edited by sachiwilson : 02-21-2008 at 01:26 PM. Reason: Corrected the Spanish
Kenneth_Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 11:40 AM   #18
tomk2
Founding Member

Quote:
...The majority of Superbike snobs (Mladin and Spies are 2 that come to mind) will sit it out because they think riding the 600s are beneath them...
That and Yoshimura Suzuki doesn't compete in the FX class and for one race isn't going to spend the $500K or more that it would cost to build 4 competitive bikes.
tomk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 11:59 AM   #19
acecycleins
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomk2 View Post
That and Yoshimura Suzuki doesn't compete in the FX class and for one race isn't going to spend the $500K or more that it would cost to build 4 competitive bikes.
American Honda doesn't compete in FX, either. You see them doing a one-off for the 200, though. Yosh operates the team, but Suzuki gets to pull the strings. They could, absolutely, take a couple of spec supersport bikes and produce an FX contender without breaking the bank. It's the riders that won't do it. H3ll, Get Tommy to ride one. Bet he'd do it. Excuses are for the weak or the lazy. Yosh doesn't want to play in the 200 because they're too worried that the platform they would race can't keep up with Kawi, Yamaha and Ducati. Pity, really.
Old 02-21-2008, 01:18 PM   #20
tomk2
Founding Member

Quote:
American Honda doesn't compete in FX, either. You see them doing a one-off for the 200, though...
Maybe the reason moneybags Honda is throwing a million dollars at a support class race is because the best they can do in the premier class is compete for third place.

Last edited by tomk2 : 02-21-2008 at 01:39 PM.
tomk2 is offline   Reply With Quote