Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News

Old 01-17-2008, 08:55 PM   #1
Administrator
Administrator

Default New device offers affordable theft-recovery

Original Article:
<a href="http://www.motorcycle.com//news/new-device-offers-affordable-theftrecovery-71671.html">New device offers affordable theft-recovery</a>

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article New device offers affordable theft-recovery in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.
Administrator is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-17-2008, 10:24 PM   #2
laidbak
Founding Member

this system sounds like it has potential. Wonderful that its geared to keep the owner and 'others' informed about incidents that trigger alarms, now how do we get the police to hop in their cars and furiously chase down the thieves that have tossed our bikes in the back of their van...hmm
laidbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 06:08 AM   #3
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laidbak View Post
now how do we get the police to hop in their cars and furiously chase down the thieves that have tossed our bikes in the back of their van...hmm
Pay a few hundred more and get LoJack.
Old 01-18-2008, 06:28 AM   #4
acecycleins
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
Pay a few hundred more and get LoJack.
Lowjack is a radio signal operated system. In Atlanta only 8 of the 15 metro counties use the tracking system in their police departments. If you go sub-terranean (parking garage) or live in a heavily wooded area the polices may not see the signal. I know GPS has limitations, too. But GPS actaully has a faster reaction time. I believe the company could lower the subscription price. Operating a cell phone cost little today. I'd bet the primary signal is sent via cell transmission with satellite as the secondary system. But what the h3ll do I know.
Old 01-18-2008, 06:55 AM   #5
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acecycleins View Post
. But what the h3ll do I know.
A lot more than me, I'm sure. We sold LoJack at HD when I worked there. It was about 800 clams to get it installed. I don't recall if there is an ongoing monthly subscription, and a quick visit to their website LoJack Car Security System for Stolen Vehicle Recovery didn't mention one. I did see the price has dropped since 2002 to around $600. That's probably due to GPS based competition.

I think you're right Kirk: GPS based solutions will probably dominate in the long run because the satellite system has huge inherent advantages over the comparatively low-tech radio based LoJack.
Old 01-18-2008, 07:02 AM   #6
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

I know there are real time GPS systems can be linked to the internet easily and will show their exact location at all times. It makes the interface easier for everyone that has to locate the vehicle. I think that is the wave of the future. Unfortunately, it will probably be installed on all vehicles in the future to monitor your speed at all times. Exceed the limit, and you get an email ticket! Simple eh?
Old 01-18-2008, 07:13 AM   #7
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
monitor your speed at all times. Exceed the limit, and you get an email ticket! Simple eh?
Skip the ticket and just debit the checking, like the toll road guys do already.
Old 01-18-2008, 07:39 AM   #8
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
Skip the ticket and just debit the checking, like the toll road guys do already.
True dat! No point in bothering with due process and all that nonsense. Just a money waster for the state. Hell, they should just come and impound the vehicle and sell it at auction. If we are nice about it, maybe they will let us buy back our own property!
Old 01-18-2008, 08:10 AM   #9
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
True dat! No point in bothering with due process and all that nonsense. Just a money waster for the state. Hell, they should just come and impound the vehicle and sell it at auction. If we are nice about it, maybe they will let us buy back our own property!
Wait and see how efficient the govt becomes when they install drains in all the courts and police stations for waterboarding suspects. It's not torture you know.
Old 01-18-2008, 09:37 AM   #10
trenttheuncatchable
Founding Member

If you put a cellphone under the seat, and hook it up to the battery to keep it charged .. how expensive would that be? You could leave it dormant and in silent mode and call it if your bike disappears. 'Course the first thing a thief's gonna do (after driving off with your bike in the stolen van) is remove the seat. But since that's where my current alarm is, it's not that relevant.
trenttheuncatchable is offline   Reply With Quote