Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News

Old 01-11-2008, 04:14 PM   #1
vermicious
Registered Member

Default Another Attempt to Legislate Common Sense

Speed, lose your bike:
Lose your bike for speeding? | USATODAY.com Video
vermicious is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-11-2008, 04:24 PM   #2
seruzawa
The Toad

What's happened? Why does every overblown problem now result in some nazi politician's attempt to steal your property?
Old 01-11-2008, 07:53 PM   #3
sfcdjevans
Registered Member

I don't know what I find more humoruos(sp?) "Well I hit a bump and my front wheel went in the air" or Hmmm 3 times the speed limit and you had your bike taken away.....
Old 01-12-2008, 05:39 AM   #4
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
What's happened? Why does every overblown problem now result in some nazi politician's attempt to steal your property?
Probably the same reason people want to take your job if you say anything they deem 'inappropriate'. Check out what happened to that female golf commentator latel? Of course, 'Political Correctness' doesn't really exist. It's all a figment of our imagination.
Old 01-12-2008, 11:34 AM   #5
findangle
Founding Member

sounds like a great way to encourage people to run from the police if asked to pull over.
findangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 12:07 PM   #6
sfcdjevans
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by findangle View Post
sounds like a great way to encourage people to run from the police if asked to pull over.
True. If you're already doing 50 mph over the speed limit what's runnin' from the law.........

While I'm no fan of property confiscation, ok how many people thought it was ok to do this to drug dealers, I've gotta say that if your on the same roads as me and your doing 50 over I want you pulled. While I'm busy to 10 to 15 over, for safety am I gonna notice you in time to get the hell out of the way.

10 over on GPS around here won't even get the troopers to put down the paper.
Old 01-12-2008, 12:49 PM   #7
vermicious
Registered Member

Why is managing this through license suspension or forfeiture inadequate?

I suspect that the primary reason is because it doesn't give the same visceral sense of satisfaction to the non-riding public as seizing a $10K piece of equipment (as opposed to actually being proven more effective as a deterrent).
vermicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 01:41 PM   #8
sfcdjevans
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermicious View Post
Why is managing this through license suspension or forfeiture inadequate?

I suspect that the primary reason is because it doesn't give the same visceral sense of satisfaction to the non-riding public as seizing a $10K piece of equipment (as opposed to actually being proven more effective as a deterrent).
The non riding public is scared, otherwise they wouldn't have gone to their legislators.

I suspect that for you and I such things are a deterent. I'm going to guess, please correct me if I'm wrong, that neither of us operate motorcycles 50 mph over the speed limit on a public road, nor play "snake or follow the leader" thru the traffic on the 4 lane. A license is not required for guys with forum handles like ipassdacop and people who regularly post about running from cops. I think that this legislation is aimed at those riders. Is there a danger of this eventually restricting me, sure. You know the old saying "...they came for the Gypsys and I did nothing." right, well I do too. But sometimes your, and I use the term loosely, "peers" have to be let go.
Old 01-12-2008, 03:19 PM   #9
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

OK, stats they give don't make sense according to ALL other studies done (Hurt Report, et. al.)

2006, Florida had 119 Fatalities, of those, 109 were due to "CARELESS AND RECKLESS BEHAVIOUR AND SPEEDING AT UP TO THREE TIMES THE SPEED LIMIT". This didn't count any fatalities investigated by County and Local Law-Enforcement. (?!?)

I don't get it; every other study shows that something like 80% of all fatal Moto-crashes happen between 25mph and 40mph, with half of those being the fault of a left-hand turning automobile violating the moto's right-of-way. And over HALF of the single-vehicle fatalities are due to alcohol-inhibited riding.

(keep in mind that other 20% is divided between BELOW 25mph [parking lot speed] and ABOVE 40mph)

Even new (Euro) studies still bear-out the evidence in the Hurt Report.

Did they somehow suspend the Law of Averages in Florida? The other ten of this 119 total, were they the only motorcyclists "minding their own business" and not actively terrorizing humanity at-large?

Yeah, I know: Lies. Damn Lies. Statistics.

F'em. Especially this talking head, Carlos Lopez-Canterra. He's probably one of the most-violently-opposed to lifting the U.S. Trade-Embargo on Cuba, too.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...

Last edited by The_AirHawk : 01-12-2008 at 03:22 PM.
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 02:26 PM   #10
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

If you're going 50 over the limit I WANT the cops to confiscate your bike, In what way is this defensible? Obviously this aplies to cars as well.(snork)that is until some Yup gets popped in his Porsche trying to impress his secretary.

Glad to see ABATE weigh in too, most of their members are lucky to be going 50 in the first place, let alone 50 over but hey it's a good excuse to pound a couple of beers and go protest this latest assault on freedom.

Actually, all this is going to do is encourage more people to run from the cops, if they're doing this stuff in the first place they're probably not the law abiding tax payers we envision them to be...

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...

Last edited by sarnali2 : 01-13-2008 at 02:29 PM.
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote