Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-news/)
-   -   BMW Xchallenge Tackles 2008 Dakar Rally (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-news/7053-bmw-xchallenge-tackles-2008-dakar-rally.html)

Administrator 01-04-2008 05:01 PM

BMW Xchallenge Tackles 2008 Dakar Rally

Original Article:
BMW Xchallenge Tackles 2008 Dakar Rally

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article BMW Xchallenge Tackles 2008 Dakar Rally in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

sachiwilson 01-04-2008 06:02 PM

Well, if this isn't out of date!

pushrod 01-05-2008 08:59 PM

Ya know, if you're the only team out there...

bbtowns 01-08-2008 09:30 AM

Yet another tragedy of the Dakar last minute cancellation. There was a time when BMW dominated Dakar, then the event was made more technical and engine sizes were limited. BMW builds a bike to compete under the new rules, and the event was cancelled. I think KTM still would have eaten their lunch, but it would have been cool to see the Beemer try. They had a good team of riders lined up. They better not cancel Baja!

seruzawa 01-08-2008 09:50 AM

Maybe China could host a similar event. Bet they wouldn't have security problems. They certainly have the terrain for it.

acecycleins 01-08-2008 10:00 AM

I know most of you could care less about Nascar, but I read an article about the Robbie Gordan and his Dakar attempt. He, in short, said that the money spent for his team to run a Hummer in the event has cost in the neighborhood of $4.5mil. He believes, and I agree, that the organizers of the event over-reacted to the turmoil in the region with a little planning could have staged about 10 of the stages and shortened the event, but still put on a show. One event, $4.5 mil and you think our sport is expensive. I feel sorry for all those teams that had people in place to run the race and on the eve of the event were told to pound sand. Stupid promoters.

Kenneth_Moore 01-08-2008 11:13 AM

Seeing as how virtually every "threat" that's been drummed up since 9/11 has turned out to be nothing but horsepucky, I have to think that the event people most certainly over-reacted.

seruzawa 01-08-2008 11:38 AM

Dang!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore (Post 176534)
Seeing as how virtually every "threat" that's been drummed up since 9/11 has turned out to be nothing but horsepucky, I have to think that the event people most certainly over-reacted.

The Madrid and London attacks never really happened? They didn't catch those guys with a trunk full of C4? Who knew?

longride 01-08-2008 11:41 AM

Of course, Bush is behind the whole thing! That's why we need you Dems to run things. Only then can the memory of Jimmy Carter be revived. As if we need to remember! :p

Kenneth_Moore 01-08-2008 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seruzawa (Post 176539)
The Madrid and London attacks never really happened? They didn't catch those guys with a trunk full of C4? Who knew?

Nobody knew before the attacks, and every "advertised" threat has turned out to be BS. Thus, dropping an event over "threats" is a total waste.