Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News

Old 12-21-2007, 09:15 PM   #1
Administrator
Administrator

Default World MX Rules Changes

Original Article:
World MX Rules Changes

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article World MX Rules Changes in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

Last edited by sachiwilson : 12-22-2007 at 06:13 AM. Reason: Admin needs coffee this morning
Administrator is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-22-2007, 08:24 AM   #2
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Oh my lord....

.... get this:

"New rules in the MX2 class restrict it to riders under 24 years of age. Also, an MX2 champion is allowed to defend the title only once."

Looks like the rot of PC thought has penetrated the FIM now. "Everybody's gotta have a chance" Boohoo. Maybe they could just give a trophy to every competitor for "trying hard". Yeah. That'll be geat.

On the other hand. The new displacement rules mean the death of the 4 stroke in MX. Without displacement advantages the 4 strokes will be toast. Dead. Has-been. Not to mention the astronomical costs of maintaining the poxy things.

CR500s rule!
Old 12-22-2007, 08:45 AM   #3
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default Finally, some common sense...

...since the off-road motorcycle scene here in the states is shrinking because of the astronomical amount of money it takes to run a 4 stroke, the new FIM rules are a second chance for two stroke motorcycles, and the average private MX/off road racer who doesn't have a bankroll to blow on equipment (read that a new motor every 20-30 hours). Now if goofball states like Kalifornia would issue green stickers (off-road registration) to new 2 strokes again (doubtfull)that would be a giant boost too.

The scene is shriking no matter how you look at it. Last time I was out (exactly one year ago, give or take a few days) places that use to be packed with riders, motor homes and familys on dirt bikes, were deserted.

THE TWO STROKE IS DEAD! LONG LIVE THE TWO STROKE!
Old 12-22-2007, 08:47 AM   #4
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

And you're right, CR500's do rule, especially ones built in 1987....
Old 12-22-2007, 08:48 AM   #5
pplassm
Founding Member

Cool! They've been threatening this all year.

Actually, I like forcing the MX2 champion out and up to the premier class. They should do that here, too. Villapoto is running in the Lites (hate that name) class again, and will not go head to head against Stewart.

The noise rules are good, too. I went to the MXdN, and the difference was amazing. The noise at an AMA national is deafening, but the FIM legal bikes were much easier on the ears.
Old 12-22-2007, 08:50 AM   #6
pplassm
Founding Member

I just picked up a 97 CR500 for cheap. HAHAHAHAHA!
Old 12-22-2007, 08:58 AM   #7
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default You lucky bastard...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pplassm View Post
I just picked up a 97 CR500 for cheap. HAHAHAHAHA!
Now run 15/47 gears on it and have some real fun. You also might want to clean up the transfer ports, and raise the exhaust port just a taste (to keep those old KX500's at bay).

Mine was an honest 100mph dirt bike. Use to walk away from the 4 strikers when we hit a dry lakebed. My buddy's 525 Katoom stopped at 92 mph and I blew by like a rocket. A red rocket.