Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News

Old 12-17-2007, 08:20 PM   #11
pplassm
Founding Member

ATV's (quads and trikes) suck on so many levels that I am at a loss to start ranting.
pplassm is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-18-2007, 06:32 AM   #12
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pplassm View Post
ATV's (quads and trikes) suck on so many levels that I am at a loss to start ranting.
Ditto for the "watercraft." Utterly pointless devices usually operated by intoxicated boobs without a gram of experience, guaranteed to ruin a nice day of boating.
Old 12-18-2007, 06:50 AM   #13
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by pplassm View Post
Quads are useful as utility vehicles. For example during the spring when there is not enough snow to use my sled and too many snowdrifts left to use my truck the quad will make it up the road to my cabin. It's also handy for hauling firewood around etc. I also see them used a lot by ranchers and shepherds.

As rec vehicles they are probably the most dangerous things around. The areas that are set aside for ATVs are best avoided. I can't stand to see people riding along with unhelmeted children and (no shyt) infants! All the while the parent is riding along without even eye protection. (shudder) It's either avoid them entirely or kick the crap out of them.
Old 12-18-2007, 08:56 AM   #14
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

I ever tell you about the time I almost got ate by a bear? I was riding a 3 wheel Honda ATV on Mt. Baker when my first wifes crew worked there at the ski lodge. I went up one of the ski runs and was standing by this big berry bush eating berries and looking around, the place smelled like a skunk but I didn't think much of it. As I wandered around the other side of the bush I heard a rustling and snuffling, I continued around and came face to face with this Black Bear munching away on the berries too. He sat up on his haunches and looked at me, I looked at him turned around and hauled ass back to the ATC, as I'm yanking away on the starter I look and all I can see is his butt dissapearing over the horizon in the other direction.......

He probably would have ate me anyway if he was like mean or something.....

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 09:05 AM   #15
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
I ever tell you about the time I almost got ate by a bear? I was riding a 3 wheel Honda ATV on Mt. Baker when my first wifes crew worked there at the ski lodge. I went up one of the ski runs and was standing by this big berry bush eating berries and looking around, the place smelled like a skunk but I didn't think much of it. As I wandered around the other side of the bush I heard a rustling and snuffling, I continued around and came face to face with this Black Bear munching away on the berries too. He sat up on his haunches and looked at me, I looked at him turned around and hauled ass back to the ATC, as I'm yanking away on the starter I look and all I can see is his butt dissapearing over the horizon in the other direction.......

He probably would have ate me anyway if he was like mean or something.....
Forest Service Advice on Bears:

"Bears are found all over the intermountain west. Black Bears are more abundant, but Grizzly Bears are also found in many areas. Grizzlies are far more agressive and should especially be avoided. Black Bears can be brown like Grizzlies so it is important to be able to tell them apart.

The Forest Service recommends that hikers wear small bells on their ankles to discourage bears. Pepper spray can also be effective.

Bear signs include their scat. Black Bear scat is small round hard and black. Grizzly Bear scat is larger, softer, dark brown and had little bells in it and smells like pepper spray."
Old 12-18-2007, 09:11 AM   #16
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
Forest Service Advice on Bears:

"Bears are found all over the intermountain west. Black Bears are more abundant, but Grizzly Bears are also found in many areas. Grizzlies are far more agressive and should especially be avoided. Black Bears can be brown like Grizzlies so it is important to be able to tell them apart.

The Forest Service recommends that hikers wear small bells on their ankles to discourage bears. Pepper spray can also be effective.

Bear signs include their scat. Black Bear scat is small round hard and black. Grizzly Bear scat is larger, softer, dark brown and had little bells in it and smells like pepper spray."

Sound advice and timely too now that the Bunny Huggers want to re-introduce Grizzly's into the North Cascades

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 10:38 AM   #17
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
Sound advice and timely too now that the Bunny Huggers want to re-introduce Grizzly's into the North Cascades
In that case the Grizzly scat will start smelling like marijuana and have granola husks and BMW keyfobs in it.