Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News

Old 11-28-2007, 08:50 AM   #21
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
I know, I was just being froggy (ahem)

so...........what happened with the real estate betty? I was in an 8 hr. CPR/First Aid class yesterday and my kids and their little thug boyfriends were on the computor at home
We're having lunch together on Friday.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-28-2007, 08:51 AM   #22
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

They're pretty dam* good flyers too, check these Tornado and Mirage pilots out....

http://dgttiti.free.fr/video_site_titi/mirages.wmv

http://dgttiti.free.fr/avions/mirage_au_tchad_2.wmv

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...

Last edited by sarnali2 : 11-28-2007 at 08:58 AM.
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 08:59 AM   #23
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

I'm pretty sure it was during and just before WWII. I remember reading that after WWI, and after Europe decided to allow Germany to build back up, all war planning was geared towards the theory of the US attacking Europe.

I also read several stories about French military being...well, less than charming when the US arrived in France during WWII. There were a bunch of stories from soldiers telling how the French military would freely let the US military how they were doing everything wrong.

Realistically, both countries thrive on using stereotypes to classify each society. We are the dumb, fat Americans, and they are the smelly surrender-monkeys.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 09:15 AM   #24
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscuddy View Post
..I wonder when we here in the US of A started hating the French? After all, the French backed us in our Revolution against England, gave us the Statue of Liberty, loaned us a few excellent commanding generals in the war of 1812, negotiated peace between the indigenous Indians and white settlers, let us purchase half of the gulf states for peanuts...etc..etc..even in modern times were avaition-automobile pioneers and stood shoulder to shoulder fighting faschisim. In both world wars France had close ties to the United States, before and after. When did we start hating each other?

Did it have anything to do with the '57 Renault Daulphene? That car could start a conflict on it's own.
As far as I can tell, it really got going when the French had the good sense not to follow Dubya into that asinine Iraqi mess. BTW, they were right there with us for Gulf War 1, as were our other allies.

This issue bothers me too; many of the basic principles on which our nation was founded came directly from the French. Ok, so they needed our help to end the WW1 stalemate, and got overrun by the Nazis. The French Resistance was remarkable and effective. The French did a fairly good job of divesting themselves of their colonial role; albeit not as smoothly as the British.

French chicks are cool. Mirage jets are way cool. The Panhard line of autos were vastly superior to anything competing with them. VIVE Le' France, or something like that.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:33 AM   #25
seruzawa
The Toad

Default I think it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscuddy View Post
..I wonder when we here in the US of A started hating the French? After all, the French backed us in our Revolution against England, gave us the Statue of Liberty, loaned us a few excellent commanding generals in the war of 1812, negotiated peace between the indigenous Indians and white settlers, let us purchase half of the gulf states for peanuts...etc..etc..even in modern times were avaition-automobile pioneers and stood shoulder to shoulder fighting faschisim. In both world wars France had close ties to the United States, before and after. When did we start hating each other?

Did it have anything to do with the '57 Renault Daulphene? That car could start a conflict on it's own.
...was "Le Car" that started the previous round. Then when things were starting to simmer down they had to go and import the Renault Alliance.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:01 AM   #26
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

The US/French mudslinging has been around way before the Gulf Wars. Most of the Barbs thrown originate from military issues. The French didn’t handle the Vietnam problem very well in the beginning which lead to several jokes on our military’s side, and I believe resulted in us getting involved. Germany’s involvement in WWII was directly related to Europe, specifically France, refusing to take a harder line on limiting Germany’s power after WWI. Than there was the French and Indian War…which for some reason we get blamed for the treatment of Indians, but France is let off the hook…odd.

But as far as stereotypes go, France will always be the snooty jackasses and the US will be the arrogant bastards. Plenty of jokes to go around on both sides of the fence.

I built a few Mirage jet models when I was a kid. That and the A10 Warthog were some of the more fun models to put together.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 10:07 AM   #27
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Peugeot 505's are pretty nice looking cars, you still see quit a few of them around Seattle. I think they compare well with the 80's Mercedes and Volvo diesel's

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 10:24 AM   #28
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
Peugeot 505's are pretty nice looking cars, you still see quit a few of them around Seattle. I think they compare well with the 80's Mercedes and Volvo diesel's
Would those be the biodiesel ones??
Old 11-28-2007, 10:32 AM   #29
pplassm
Founding Member

The war in Iraq would not have been necessary if France (and Germany) had backed us.

But, then, they never were that reliable. Remember their staunch cooperation with our attack on Libya in the '80s?
pplassm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 10:41 AM   #30
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrowningBAR View Post
The US/French mudslinging has been around way before the Gulf Wars. Most of the Barbs thrown originate from military issues. The French didn’t handle the Vietnam problem very well in the beginning which lead to several jokes on our military’s side, and I believe resulted in us getting involved.
Stanley Karanov's "History of Vietnam" has an extensive analysis of the French Indochina experience. They were up against the same things we were: the only option was to invade and utterly destroy North Vietnam, and then remain as an occupying force fighting an unending insurgency. Same went for South Vietnam; a lot of the citizens considered the French and the US as a colonial power holding up their national re-unification.

Occupying other nations just doesn't work too well. The locals don't like it. You've got to be willing to go to some pretty awful extremes, like the Nazis and the Soviets did to make it work. And many times, you'll never make it work.