Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2007, 11:08 AM   #1
acecycleins
Founding Member
 
acecycleins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: North Georgia
Posts: 4,129
Smile Yamaha's new toys

Now, I am not really a MX or ATV guy, but can you imagine the possibilities of knobbies and great suspension range with something like this? I know the initial design was intended for "street" application, but Yamaha could be on to something with this design. Odd, funky, not to everyones taste, but innovative, clever and inspiring come to mind.


•Tesseract (Special exhibition model / prototype)
This is a hybrid 4-wheeled vehicle powered by a combination of a liquid-cooled V-twin gasoline engine and an electric motor. It is also designed with a unique dual-scythe suspension that enables cornering with a lean (banking) like a motorcycle despite the 4-wheel format. There is also a dual arm-lock system that keeps the machine upright when at rest without a stand. It offers excellent performance and maneuverability with a machine width roughly equivalent to that of a 2-wheeler.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tesseract.jpg (13.0 KB, 8 views)
__________________
"Slack" - a state of being in which everything flows smoothly.....a frame of mind so at ease that the universe naturally cooperates.
acecycleins is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-29-2007, 11:42 AM   #2
seruzawa
The Toad

 
seruzawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: 8501 ft.
Posts: 17,463
Default

How do you take the possible consumer movement towards these sorts of consumer toys? I see this and the Can-Am trike as a way of putting people who are too afraid of motorcycles on vehicles that are high risk. I mean that if someone doesn't have the courage and coordination to get on a motorcycle he sure doesn't belong on one of these.

Similarly, the proliferation of ATVs has filled the emergency rooms on weekends with idiots who seem to think that riding an ATV is safer than a motorcycle. Au contraire. ATV injuries are usually worse than off-road motorcycle injuries, largely because more people are on them who are incompetent and ATVs are more likely to roll over on people. I know two emergency room nurses and both say that the ATV accidents are the worst epidemic by far for juvenile and adult recreational injuries in the Salt Lake area.

I shudder to think of the same clowns I see on ATVs on the weekend riding these 4 wheeled contraptions around town.
__________________
"Make no mistake, Communism lost a big argument - one we know today as the 20th century."
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 11:47 AM   #3
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

 
longride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Anywhere they let me
Posts: 10,484
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
How do you take the possible consumer movement towards these sorts of consumer toys? I see this and the Can-Am trike as a way of putting people who are too afraid of motorcycles on vehicles that are high risk. I mean that if someone doesn't have the courage and coordination to get on a motorcycle he sure doesn't belong on one of these.

Similarly, the proliferation of ATVs has filled the emergency rooms on weekends with idiots who seem to think that riding an ATV is safer than a motorcycle. Au contraire. ATV injuries are usually worse than off-road motorcycle injuries, largely because more people are on them who are incompetent and ATVs are more likely to roll over on people. I know two emergency room nurses and both say that the ATV accidents are the worst epidemic by far for juvenile and adult recreational injuries in the Salt Lake area.

I shudder to think of the same clowns I see on ATVs on the weekend riding these 4 wheeled contraptions around town.
Maybe helmets will solve all the problems?
__________________
I'm a knucklehead
longride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 11:48 AM   #4
Buzglyd
Founding Member
 
Buzglyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 10,913
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
How do you take the possible consumer movement towards these sorts of consumer toys? I see this and the Can-Am trike as a way of putting people who are too afraid of motorcycles on vehicles that are high risk. I mean that if someone doesn't have the courage and coordination to get on a motorcycle he sure doesn't belong on one of these.

Similarly, the proliferation of ATVs has filled the emergency rooms on weekends with idiots who seem to think that riding an ATV is safer than a motorcycle. Au contraire. ATV injuries are usually worse than off-road motorcycle injuries, largely because more people are on them who are incompetent and ATVs are more likely to roll over on people. I know two emergency room nurses and both say that the ATV accidents are the worst epidemic by far for juvenile and adult recreational injuries in the Salt Lake area.

I shudder to think of the same clowns I see on ATVs on the weekend riding these 4 wheeled contraptions around town.
The sit down style Personal Watercraft enabled a bunch of morons to bust themselves up at the rivers and lakes too.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 12:12 PM   #5
acecycleins
Founding Member
 
acecycleins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: North Georgia
Posts: 4,129
Default

If you look at the thing closely (yamaha has it on their tokyo show site) you'll notice the stance of the thing. I believe that there are possibilities in the off-road sector. Not novice, in any way. But serious off-road competition applications could be done. Like a cross between MX and comp ATV. If you could get weights in the 300lbs range and manage to get 65hp out of it, well, the fun should ensue......
__________________
"Slack" - a state of being in which everything flows smoothly.....a frame of mind so at ease that the universe naturally cooperates.
acecycleins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 12:12 PM   #6
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

 
mscuddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Next to my still checkin the temp.
Posts: 5,447
Default

I think it shoud have been a three-wheeler. And with big baloon tires too.

Wait a second....
__________________
A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.
mscuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 12:17 PM   #7
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member
 
Kenneth_Moore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: VIsiting the GIft Shop in the Pit of DIspair
Posts: 7,118
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
How do you take the possible consumer movement towards these sorts of consumer toys? I see this and the Can-Am trike as a way of putting people who are too afraid of motorcycles on vehicles that are high risk. I mean that if someone doesn't have the courage and coordination to get on a motorcycle he sure doesn't belong on one of these.

I shudder to think of the same clowns I see on ATVs on the weekend riding these 4 wheeled contraptions around town.
I think that is an extremely perceptive remark. In fact, I have thought exactly the same thing: These things have all of the dangers of a real bike, yet do not demand the same level of commitment and/or training to use. And in fact, they're so easy to wail around on doing slides and burnouts and such, I suspect they're going to be splattering their new riders all over place.

You're pretty smart for a Harley rider.
__________________
www.kennethmoore.org
Kenneth_Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 02:57 PM   #8
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

 
sarnali2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Sittin' down by my window, lookin' at the rain.
Posts: 8,719
Default

That's where you're wrong. They have four wheels, ergo they are perfectly fine for 5 and 6 year olds to blast around on wearing t-shirts, shorts and plastic bicycle helmets.

Only motorcycles are dangerous.
__________________
"Carpe` Throttelum -Loud Suits Save Lives"

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 03:31 AM   #9
pplassm
Founding Member
 
pplassm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 3,875
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
I think that is an extremely perceptive remark. In fact, I have thought exactly the same thing: These things have all of the dangers of a real bike, yet do not demand the same level of commitment and/or training to use. And in fact, they're so easy to wail around on doing slides and burnouts and such, I suspect they're going to be splattering their new riders all over place.

You're pretty smart for a Harley rider.
Exactly. Quads suck, in any incarnation. They're not too bad out West, I guess, but they have totally hosed off-road riding here in the East. Their proliferation and idiotic riders have destroyed trail systems and given us all a bad image.

Put them all in a pile and light the fuse.
pplassm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 06:13 AM   #10
seruzawa
The Toad

 
seruzawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: 8501 ft.
Posts: 17,463
Default Quads ruined ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
That's where you're wrong. They have four wheels, ergo they are perfectly fine for 5 and 6 year olds to blast around on wearing t-shirts, shorts and plastic bicycle helmets.

Only motorcycles are dangerous.
... my favorite Labor Day weekend fishing hole after the State designated it part of an ATV approved area. I've had @ssholes ride right through my camp.... even through the firepit. But the last straw was watching these people riding down the roads without even eye protection with their infants perched on their laps. I just couldn't take it any more. Now we only go to areas where ATVs are rare or banned. It's those quad jerks who have gotten more areas closed that the motorcycles used for decades without problem. Them and the mountain bikes. don't get me started on those granola crunching yaehoos and what they've done to Moab.
__________________
"Make no mistake, Communism lost a big argument - one we know today as the 20th century."
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off