Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News

Old 10-23-2007, 11:42 AM   #11
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

The Bob Davis article had some remarks about the rabid competition and loyalties of the Indian versus HD era. It got me to thinking how different the US motorcycle manufacturing scene might be today if Indian had survived. Clearly it was a mixed blessing for HD to have a virtual monopoly on domestic bikes for 50 years. Yes, they "owned" the market and became an icon, but it's only this year they came out with a "superbike." I'll bet if Indian had been kicking their @ss at Daytona from time to time, they would have advanced their product line a lot sooner. Just idle thought really...what might have been.

BTW: sometimes I visit C-World. Reading KPAULSQUIDCOOKAVENGER posts is like having your skin sandblasted off an inch at a time. If you're feeling masochistic, wander over sometime.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-23-2007, 11:54 AM   #12
pplassm
Founding Member

I think the CW guys are just about fed up with him, now.
pplassm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 12:01 PM   #13
acecycleins
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
It's an industry wide down turn. HD and BMW, Ducati etc are going to be hurt more because they try to cater to an "exclusive" market. The Japanese probably won't fall as far because they have a much more diversified product line in Watercraft, ATV's, Generators, Dirt Bikes as well as cruisers and sport bikes with more low dollar offerings in each catagory.

No doubt the whole recreational vehicle industry will take a hit from high end bikes to RV's to boats and everything else. When the economy cools discretionary spending is the first to stop. Harley has set themselves up for a double shot because their target demographic is aging as well. I don't know how many younger people are going to pony up for whats percieved as dads bike in the first place when the Asian manufacturers are offering more performance and better percieved quality at a lower price, specially for used bikes.
You may remove Ducati from the mix. Sales of new bikes are up, again. The 1098 and HM are a smashing success and the new 848 will be, as well. They may be small compared to HD, BMW, and Piaggio (Vespa, Aprilia and Guzzi holdings) but they have excellent management in place, right now. As long as they keep the small company attitude they should keep positive cash flow. Otherwise I agree with your assessment...
Old 10-23-2007, 12:03 PM   #14
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post

BTW, you misspelled "perceived". Don't let it happen again.

It's the French pronunciation, I grew up in Montreal......

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 12:27 PM   #15
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by pplassm View Post
I think the CW guys are just about fed up with him, now.
You mean it took them this long? They must be a little slow over there.
Old 10-23-2007, 01:27 PM   #16
acecycleins
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
You mean it took them this long? They must be a little slow over there.
I'm not retarded- I'm just a little sloooow.
Old 10-23-2007, 02:59 PM   #17
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

I AM retarded!
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 12:00 AM   #18
anrajala
Founding Member

To get the curves up HD should do something totally new. If I was them I would build a 2 litre V-8 with cylinder heads sticking out from the sides, obscene chrome exahaust piping all around AND at least 10 million bucks spent only to get the real V-8 warble.

Then, if the company is run by MBA’s and focuses only on milking the cow, pushing the new frontiers are not in. Especially now when the run-of-the mill V-Rod was a disappointment.

- cruiz-euro
anrajala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 08:04 AM   #19
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by anrajala View Post
Especially now when the run-of-the mill V-Rod was a disappointment.

- cruiz-euro

I don't think it's a disapointment so much as not finding a niche. It's an excellent motor and harleys future. My personal view is that the frame is wrong for it. It works as a custom and handled good as the Street Rod but the look was off. I think once they learn how to integrate that engine throughout the line up it'll take off.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 08:16 AM   #20
trenttheuncatchable
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
I don't think it's a disapointment so much as not finding a niche. It's an excellent motor and harleys future. My personal view is that the frame is wrong for it. It works as a custom and handled good as the Street Rod but the look was off. I think once they learn how to integrate that engine throughout the line up it'll take off.
For me, the whole "clam shell" riding position is wrong on the Rods. Talk about uncomfortable.
trenttheuncatchable is offline   Reply With Quote