Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News

Old 10-20-2007, 03:52 AM   #1
Administrator
Administrator

Default UM (United Motors) Joins Motorcycle Stunt World

Original Article:
http://www.motorcycle.com//news/um-u...rld-68330.html

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article UM (United Motors) Joins Motorcycle Stunt World in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

Last edited by seruzawa : 10-21-2007 at 04:18 PM.
Administrator is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-20-2007, 05:51 AM   #2
sfcdjevans
Registered Member

Default hmmmm

For me, the link doesn't work. I saw the article via the home page. Then I notice that there have been 33 replies yet I see none of them. Que pasa'
sfcdjevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 01:51 PM   #3
UMLover
Registered Member

Default Stunt Team

I saw that stunt team perform at Damon's Grill in Mechanicsburg, PA......they were awesome!!! They were also full of knowledge on the United Motors 650's. I wish I could have them come to my little boy's birthday party.
UMLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 02:53 PM   #4
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Oh yay. Stunting has done more to wreck motorcycling's reputation than the Hell's Angels ever dreamed of.
Old 10-24-2007, 03:35 PM   #5
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
Oh yay. Stunting has done more to wreck motorcycling's reputation than the Hell's Angels ever dreamed of.
Well, I wouldn't say Stunting in and of itself has given Motos a black eye - it's the B.S. like guys Mono'n down I-540 in rush hour traffic at 110mph, or a gaggle of un-muffled sportbikes taking over a "deserted" residential back-street at 3:00am to practice their stoppies and burnouts.........

They're no better or worse than Hells Angels - good and bad in both groups. It's just what's being "noticed" now, because more of Joe America is realizing that those "Outlaw Bikers" are just their Accountant or Dentist. Not that they trust them any more, or fear them any less, they just don't pay them as much attention as they used to.

We're all still in the same boat - the average non-rider Citizen despises and fears us all at the worst, is oblivious of our very existence until they run us over at the best.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 08:23 PM   #6
ejis
Founding Member

Sportbikers never had a particularly good reputation with the general public... These "professional" stunt teams, especially the factory backed ones, are probably good for perception, if anything. They put on entertaining shows, are relatively clean cut (the factory guys, at least) and are also friendly and personable at the shows. Kids love it, parents are happy because the kids are - it's win/win.

You'll never get rid of the illegal stunters, just as street racers and other forms of vehicular hooliganism have been and always will be around. But this controlled and professional version legitimizes the persuit, and makes it something that the mainstream can appreciate.
ejis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 06:53 AM   #7
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejis View Post
You'll never get rid of the illegal stunters, just as street racers and other forms of vehicular hooliganism have been and always will be around. But this controlled and professional version legitimizes the persuit, and makes it something that the mainstream can appreciate.
You may not get rid of the illegal stunters, but I can assure you the rest of us will suffer greatly as a result of their actions. We're fighting a proposed law in FL that calls for the arrest of any motorcyclist and the confiscation of their motorcycle for a traffic infraction as a direct result of stunting.

The "controlled and professional" version simply glorifies, publicizes, and legitimizes what's being done on the street. Almost every Superbikes show, including the one I watched last night, has stunting segements being performed on public highways. "The following scenes are performed by trained professionals in a controlled environment" disclaimer is a total wad of crap.

Look, I don't care if riders want to do stunts on public highways any more than I care if somebody wants to smoke crack. But when the crackhead starts breaking into my house to steal, or the stunter creates a needlessly hostile environment for me to ride in, then I get annoyed.