Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2007, 02:27 PM   #1
Administrator
Administrator

 
Administrator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: On My Bike
Posts: 35
Default New Vision for AMA


Original Article:
<a href="http://www.motorcycle.com//news/new-vision-for-ama-66582.html">New Vision for AMA</a>

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article New Vision for AMA in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.
Administrator is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-14-2007, 03:18 PM   #2
seruzawa
The Toad

 
seruzawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: 8501 ft.
Posts: 17,461
Default

Well, somethings gotta happen before the stands at AMA Superbike become more like ghost towns.
__________________
"Make no mistake, Communism lost a big argument - one we know today as the 20th century."
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 05:41 PM   #3
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member
 
Kenneth_Moore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: VIsiting the GIft Shop in the Pit of DIspair
Posts: 7,118
Default

Not one word about being advocates for the motorcyclist with the government, the insurance industry, the various media, etc. Was that not once a role of the AMA? Did they not represent the motorcycling community, albeit poorly, in the past (e.g. the infamous 1% comment)? If the AMA has forgone that role, than who will take it? Clearly, it's badly needed, perhaps now more than ever.
__________________
www.kennethmoore.org
Kenneth_Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 11:21 PM   #4
The_AirHawk
Founding Member
 
The_AirHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Leanin' Tower O' P-P-P-P-POWAAAAAAAAA!!!!
Posts: 11,491
Default New Vision for AMA

So, what? - they visitin' an Optometrist or somethin'?

Frickin' need to.

I keep hearin' about this "New Vision" crap coming from them every few years, yet they're still blind as Hell.
__________________
Parfois, on fait pas semblant
Sometimes, it's not pretend
Oderint Dum Metuant
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 10:47 AM   #5
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

 
Kevin_Duke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 2,087
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
Not one word about being advocates for the motorcyclist with the government, the insurance industry, the various media, etc. Was that not once a role of the AMA? Did they not represent the motorcycling community, albeit poorly, in the past (e.g. the infamous 1% comment)? If the AMA has forgone that role, than who will take it? Clearly, it's badly needed, perhaps now more than ever.
This recent AMA thing concerns only the AMA's racing arm, which has been heavily criticized for years. By most accounts, the main AMA arm has been doing a decent job defending the rights of motorcyclists. And by turning over control and promotion of racing, the AMA can now focus on the "Right, Riding" part of their slogan. I see this as a positive move.
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 11:44 AM   #6
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member
 
Kenneth_Moore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: VIsiting the GIft Shop in the Pit of DIspair
Posts: 7,118
Default Good News!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke View Post
This recent AMA thing concerns only the AMA's racing arm, which has been heavily criticized for years. By most accounts, the main AMA arm has been doing a decent job defending the rights of motorcyclists. And by turning over control and promotion of racing, the AMA can now focus on the "Right, Riding" part of their slogan. I see this as a positive move.
I'm probably overly alarmed, but I've been concerned about what appears to me to be an anti-motorcycle media blitz here of late. It would come as no surprise to me if we saw limits on bike horsepower to weight ratios and/or top speed limiters in the near future. And, I expect there will be a "National Helmet Law" coming out in the near future.

Good for AMA if they're doing the lobbying and representative actions motorcycling needs.
__________________
www.kennethmoore.org
Kenneth_Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 11:58 AM   #7
seruzawa
The Toad

 
seruzawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: 8501 ft.
Posts: 17,461
Default A media blitz....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
I'm probably overly alarmed, but I've been concerned about what appears to me to be an anti-motorcycle media blitz here of late. It would come as no surprise to me if we saw limits on bike horsepower to weight ratios and/or top speed limiters in the near future. And, I expect there will be a "National Helmet Law" coming out in the near future.

Good for AMA if they're doing the lobbying and representative actions motorcycling needs.
... always precedes a legislative and regulatory initiative. The press, for all their pretense at being objective, is the running dogs for the govt bureaucrats, and as we see here, repeats whatever govt officials say without inspection. I've been warning about this for years and gotten derision for my efforts. I'm going to hate saying "I told you so" but the current situation is a result of the people who could have had an effect, like Burns and other editors, laughing at the idea that motorcycles would be seriously regulated. It's past time the current crop of magazine editors, of whom 90% are mere running dogs for the manufacturers, were scragged and replaced with some new blood who understand the workings of media and govt instead of merely singing the praises of the industry and agreeing with our enemies about safety issues.

With an election year coming up the motorcycle safety issue is just tailor made for opportunist politicians looking for an issue. We're still a minority and the average Joe dislikes us and won't lift a finger in our behalf.
__________________
"Make no mistake, Communism lost a big argument - one we know today as the 20th century."
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 12:11 PM   #8
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member
 
Kenneth_Moore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: VIsiting the GIft Shop in the Pit of DIspair
Posts: 7,118
Default

First, right on about the press. It's the same pack of bootlickers who sold us down the Iraqi river instead of challenging the crap coming out of the government back when it might have helped.

Second, while I have no idea what motorcycle media editors and writers are really like, I have to wonder if they are oblivious to what's going on out there. In the past 10 years or so I have only seen ONE activist type of action in a magazine. That was when American Iron Magazine was rallying the readership to comment on and try to minimize the impact of the new EPA regulations that would disallow ANY modifications to factory exhausts. A very narrow area of concern, to say the least.
__________________
www.kennethmoore.org
Kenneth_Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 05:11 PM   #9
sfcdjevans
Registered Member
 
sfcdjevans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: 43.47N-76.48W
Posts: 956
Default Journalism like that is long dead....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
First, right on about the press. It's the same pack of bootlickers who sold us down the Iraqi river instead of challenging the crap coming out of the government back when it might have helped.

Second, while I have no idea what motorcycle media editors and writers are really like, I have to wonder if they are oblivious to what's going on out there. In the past 10 years or so I have only seen ONE activist type of action in a magazine. That was when American Iron Magazine was rallying the readership to comment on and try to minimize the impact of the new EPA regulations that would disallow ANY modifications to factory exhausts. A very narrow area of concern, to say the least.
The "boot lickers" job is to sell advertising time. Even ol' boy Rush copped to that in his interview on NPR. Wow did I use those two in the same sentence? Every ilk has it's news station that tells it what it wants to hear. This works well for the advertisers, no risk on the demographics, their all neatly packaged
sfcdjevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 02:42 AM   #10
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

 
Kevin_Duke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 2,087
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
...The press, for all their pretense at being objective, is the running dogs for the govt bureaucrats, and as we see here, repeats whatever govt officials say without inspection. I'm going to hate saying "I told you so" but the current situation is a result of the people who could have had an effect, like Burns and other editors, laughing at the idea that motorcycles would be seriously regulated. It's past time the current crop of magazine editors, of whom 90&#37; are mere running dogs for the manufacturers, were scragged and replaced with some new blood who understand the workings of media and govt instead of merely singing the praises of the industry and agreeing with our enemies about safety issues..
WTF is this all about? Since you're obviously an expert on the media and government relations, I'm surprised you don't have a dossier on me and my stance on these issues. If you did, you'd know that I too have been warning about gov't regulations, horsepower restrictions, and the stripping of our rights to use public roads and to buy the bikes we choose.

But do you want to blame the AMA for not defending the 120-dB exhaust pipes on seemingly every third Harley and for the sportbike squids who do 100-mph wheelies down the freeway? Or, instead, it seems as if you think it's all the fault of journalists.

All I said was that the AMA's biggest problem has been its Pro Racing arm, and they are now finally doing things to make it better. If you had close contacts in the industry, you'd actually be hearing these things instead of constructing your own reality.

I'd be fired if I were to cast groundless accusations at people who really do care about the industry and who think about it during 90% of our waking hours.

Last edited by Kevin_Duke; 09-20-2007 at 02:50 AM..
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off