Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News

Old 09-20-2007, 06:51 AM   #11
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

I figure I'll throw in my .02 here. I find that most of the guys bytching about the AMA don't even belong to the orginization, and don't do a thing besides complain about the way the AMA does business. And please save the " I don't like their stand on (insert bullshyt reason here) so I won't join". I'd say step up to the plate and DO SOMETHING THEN! Make it the kind of organization that you would be proud of.

I was in a similar position as a Firefighter Union officer for 10 years, and it was the same situation. The biggest complainers that the "the Union don't do nothin' for me" never showed up to any meetings, didn't vote, and never lifted a finger to help any cause, but somehow ALWAYS had a complaint about EVERYTHING. Meanwhile, the guys who did the job with zero pay for it and busted their asses to keep everything rolling including negotiating contracts on their own time, never really complained about anything except THE APATHY OF OUR MEMBERSHIP. They just worked to make it better.

You want the AMA to be better? First try joining. Then maybe help out to make it better in some way other than complaining. Apathy will kill us off, or severely restrict us one day. I'm sure the AMA would love to have twice as many ACTIVE members with all that entails. I would be the last to say that the AMA is perfect. Far from it, but if it's a bad, ineffective, organization, it is because WE as motorcyclists make it so. When someone would tell me "Our Union sucks" I would say "You are the Union". The AMA is a reflection of US. We are the AMA. If you don't like what you see in them, take a good look in the mirror.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-20-2007, 07:18 AM   #12
pplassm
Founding Member

Unhappy

Bravo, Longride!

Out of the millions of motorcyclists in the US, there are only about 260,000 AMA members at this time. Compare this to membership of other organizations. When it comes right down to brass tacks, the AMA just doesn't have the membership to command any legitimacy.

We should be ashamed of ourselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
I figure I'll throw in my .02 here. I find that most of the guys bytching about the AMA don't even belong to the orginization, and don't do a thing besides complain about the way the AMA does business. And please save the " I don't like their stand on (insert bullshyt reason here) so I won't join". I'd say step up to the plate and DO SOMETHING THEN! Make it the kind of organization that you would be proud of.

I was in a similar position as a Firefighter Union officer for 10 years, and it was the same situation. The biggest complainers that the "the Union don't do nothin' for me" never showed up to any meetings, didn't vote, and never lifted a finger to help any cause, but somehow ALWAYS had a complaint about EVERYTHING. Meanwhile, the guys who did the job with zero pay for it and busted their asses to keep everything rolling including negotiating contracts on their own time, never really complained about anything except THE APATHY OF OUR MEMBERSHIP. They just worked to make it better.

You want the AMA to be better? First try joining. Then maybe help out to make it better in some way other than complaining. Apathy will kill us off, or severely restrict us one day. I'm sure the AMA would love to have twice as many ACTIVE members with all that entails. I would be the last to say that the AMA is perfect. Far from it, but if it's a bad, ineffective, organization, it is because WE as motorcyclists make it so. When someone would tell me "Our Union sucks" I would say "You are the Union". The AMA is a reflection of US. We are the AMA. If you don't like what you see in them, take a good look in the mirror.
pplassm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 07:31 AM   #13
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

"I find that most of the guys bytching about the AMA don't even belong to the orginization, and don't do a thing besides complain about the way the AMA does business."

Master, I am...dishonored. Guess I'd better join so I can get back to bytching. Maybe I can even attend a meeting and get tazered and stuff!
Old 09-20-2007, 07:50 AM   #14
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
"I find that most of the guys bytching about the AMA don't even belong to the orginization, and don't do a thing besides complain about the way the AMA does business."

Master, I am...dishonored. Guess I'd better join so I can get back to bytching. Maybe I can even attend a meeting and get tazered and stuff!
You should be a member. You may not like the game, but not playing is worse. Like it or not, the AMA is the de facto motorcycle organization of the land. Join ya bum!
Old 09-20-2007, 08:25 AM   #15
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Default You are so right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
You should be a member. You may not like the game, but not playing is worse. Like it or not, the AMA is the de facto motorcycle organization of the land. Join ya bum!
I'm on it, Chief. Payday tomorrow, I'm sending in my dues. Guess they have a website and stuff, I'll Google it later today.
Old 09-20-2007, 08:55 AM   #16
pushrod
Founding Member

KM,

Make sure you go to the correct site! (American Motorcyclist Association)

The Doctors (y'know, the "other" AMA) would love your money, but the Motorcyclists are the cause celebre.

I'm just trying to help. 'Cause you Southern Floridians have a history of difficulty with "multiple choice" and all

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 09:17 AM   #17
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Default Tech Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushrod View Post
KM,

Make sure you go to the correct site! (American Motorcyclist Association)

I'm just trying to help. 'Cause you Southern Floridians have a history of difficulty with "multiple choice" and all

Hey, maybe you can tell me where the damn "ANY" key is. I'm stuck on the website cause I have to press it before my registration is complete.
Old 09-20-2007, 11:38 AM   #18
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Go Brother!
Old 09-20-2007, 12:00 PM   #19
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Now that we have Ken "Hanging Chad" Moore onboard the rest of you can step up. The AMA is about the only game in town for us that's taken seriously, 500 Brothers Against Totalitarian Enactments bytching about helmets aren't going to get the job done in D.C. where it counts.

As a further incentive, "Join the AMA or We Shoot The Dog"

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 12:23 PM   #20
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

I just want everyone to know that joining the AMA will make that "special part" of a man's body bigger, and your partner will love you for doing it.