Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News

Old 09-07-2007, 11:47 AM   #1
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Default HD Cuts Production, Stock Down

Harley cuts production as demand dips - Financial Times - MSNBC.com

I guess nothing lasts forever. Is it a bump in the road or a harbinger of things to come? Tawk amungst yaselves.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-07-2007, 12:05 PM   #2
seruzawa
The Toad

I'm just glad that idiot boy is making other websites miserable today.

Does this mean I'll be able to get an Evo cheap finally?
Old 09-07-2007, 12:13 PM   #3
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

This is the big one guys, they'll be two fer one by next year, a dime a dozen...

*edit* I guess if they were 2 fer 1 then a dime a dozen wouldn't be as good deal as it sounds... I'm useless at math, product of a miss-spent youth I guess...

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 12:17 PM   #4
ejis
Founding Member

Finally! Proof that old designs that people like are destined for an eventual demise. On the plus side, maybe the Fat Bob that I want will be on clearance next year since obviously no one else is interested. Now, back to my damper rod suspended naked twin...
ejis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 01:19 PM   #5
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Monkey Boy isn't going to like Pete stealing his "Great Motorcycle Prophet" title.
Old 09-10-2007, 03:25 PM   #6
bbtowns
Founding Member

You'd think Harley would be doing well with the dollar being so weak. Ignoring the product itself, foreign bikes should start costing more, and in some cases this has already begun to show itself. So if Harley can't thrive in a weak dollar market, either the economy must really suck, or Harley has run out of customer's interested in premium priced big air cooled twins. I think it's a little of both, but I'm thinking the latter problem isn't going away till they come out with some new product. Anyone out there thinking of replacing their Harley due to the 105th anniversay? I understood the 100th anniversary selling bikes, but the 105th is like watching the odomoter roll over to 23K, not that exciting.
bbtowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 04:02 PM   #7
seruzawa
The Toad

Thumbs up Home mortgage market....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbtowns View Post
You'd think Harley would be doing well with the dollar being so weak. Ignoring the product itself, foreign bikes should start costing more, and in some cases this has already begun to show itself. So if Harley can't thrive in a weak dollar market, either the economy must really suck, or Harley has run out of customer's interested in premium priced big air cooled twins. I think it's a little of both, but I'm thinking the latter problem isn't going away till they come out with some new product. Anyone out there thinking of replacing their Harley due to the 105th anniversay? I understood the 100th anniversary selling bikes, but the 105th is like watching the odomoter roll over to 23K, not that exciting.
...in case you've not been paying attention is tanking. Home prices are correcting since the irresponsible lenders have been wiped out. This means less refinancing to get those expensive toys. There's likely to be a recession from the fallout of the billions of dollars worth of irresponsible lenders/buyers (where were all those wonderful bureaucrats that the sheeple rely on to protect us?).... not to mention the European banks who are also neck deep in the subprime lending fiasco. It's about time since there hasn't been a REAL recession (no matter what the political liars claim)since that idiot Carter. So look for lower prices as manufacturers lower prices on inventory. This means that no one will be able to demand those ridiculous Kelly Blue Book internet used bike prices any more and the used market will return to the usual ruinous levels for used foreign bikes and reasonable prices for HDs. The Fed can't stop it and none of those stumble-bums in the Congress or White house has a clue either.
Old 09-10-2007, 05:44 PM   #8
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Seruzawa, You make some really good points here.

First, there are a LOT of people up a creek with this mortgage situation. Not only the subprime lenders and borrowers who are the obvious crises, but there's a LOT of people who thought they had magically "earned" a bunch of money when their property values went through the roof. Baloney. If you "refinanced," you just went further into debt; albeit possibly at a lower rate. If you sold, unless you were moving from CA to IA, you didn't really net any income because all the other houses to buy went up too. This is going to have BIG a long term impact on disposable income and "discretionary" purchases like bikes.

The White House, Congress, and the Fed were all in cahoots (conspiracy theory coming up, younger kids should leave the room) with the bankers on this. They "fattened up" the buyers and homeowners with the scam subprime loans and subsquent price explosion for housing, and now they're going to "harvest" this "crop" when they take their homes in foreclosure for a fraction of their "value." Nice work if you can get it.

As for HD prices, well, even though I've put a lot of bucks in my '77 over the years, I have a standing offer to sell it for exactly what I bought it for from a buddy. I've never seen a time when HD prices fell. The new bike prices will be maintained by limiting production. HD will never substantially discount their prices; to do so flies in the face of their corporate marketing philosophy.

Kill Whitey. It's the only answer.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:06 PM   #9
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

No, no, NO.

You are BOTH way off-base here.

It's the Illegal/Irresponsible/Illegitimate/Ill-advised WAR that's put us Gazillions of dollars in the hole, with the Tax-and-spend Repemblicrats and the.....

Oh, forget it.

Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 08:53 PM   #10
seruzawa
The Toad

Default I'd agree with you but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
No, no, NO.

You are BOTH way off-base here.

It's the Illegal/Irresponsible/Illegitimate/Ill-advised WAR that's put us Gazillions of dollars in the hole, with the Tax-and-spend Repemblicrats and the.....

Oh, forget it.

... the fact is that even with the Iraq spending the amount of defense spending as part of GNP is still historically low. It's the entitlements that are the pending disaster.

I've said these things knowing that a certain fool is smashing his keyboard right now. Heh heh.