Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News

Old 09-24-2007, 09:24 AM   #21
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Default "The Rest of the Story"

Here's the follow-on to the initial story.

Dania Beach man charged with DUI manslaughter -- South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com

Note the a-hole's BAL. Three times the limit. He'll be in jail for a long time, I'm sure.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-24-2007, 09:41 AM   #22
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

One thing to ponder: He's being charged with Manslaughter because he killed someone while he was DRUNK; Not because he killed two Motorcyclists.

Also, his past History they list suggests he's had a chemical-dependancy that's affected the people around him for over a decade - he's just been lucky-enough not to be caught in most instances.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 09:54 AM   #23
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Typical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
One thing to ponder: He's being charged with Manslaughter because he killed someone while he was DRUNK; Not because he killed two Motorcyclists.

Also, his past History they list suggests he's had a chemical-dependancy that's affected the people around him for over a decade - he's just been lucky-enough not to be caught in most instances.
I used to do crime research and read local papers daily for a couple of years for the police reports. Most fatalities are caused by the elderly, the young and the drunks. The thing about the drunks is that in each and every case the murdering drunk had a revoked license because of multiple earlier DUIs. I'm talking convictions for blood alcohol in the .20+.... serious drunks. I figure we should let the petty drug dealers and non-violent offenders all go and fill the jail cells with repeat drunk drivers.

Don't get me started on the elderly too.
Old 09-24-2007, 10:23 AM   #24
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

It's damn depressing. On the flip side of the coin, I had a friend who worked in the boatyard where I used to live. Great guy, nice kids, etc. One afternoon he started drinking after work - the yard frequently had impromptu parties. He wanted me to join him later to go to a CW bar, but I was too wrecked/tired to go. That night around 2 am he went through a light exiting I-95 and killed a girl. He's in prison for another 6 or so years (14 year sentence, no parole). I sat with his Mom and family at the sentencing, I was a "character" witness (whatever I said didn't help). They were destroyed, just like the family of the girl who died. I thank God I didn't hurt anyone when I was young and stupid enough to drive under the influence. I did it enough...
Old 09-24-2007, 10:50 AM   #25
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

The other side to that coin is the self inflicted one. A long time bro of mine just killed himself drunk and helmetless on his '67 flatside Shovelhead chop. He also had multiple DUI's, lost license, the whole nine yards. He missed a turn at speed and rifled himself into an embankment. He left behind a son and a daughter the same age as my kids.

stupid *******

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 11:13 AM   #26
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
The other side to that coin is the self inflicted one. A long time bro of mine just killed himself drunk and helmetless on his '67 flatside Shovelhead chop. He also had multiple DUI's, lost license, the whole nine yards. He missed a turn at speed and rifled himself into an embankment. He left behind a son and a daughter the same age as my kids.

stupid *******
Wow, that is truly a shame...mostly for the kids. I got lucky and got clean and sober before that happened to me. Not only was it an act of God that kept me from getting a DUI or hurting someone else, but to this day I cannot comprehend how I survived many of the rides and roadtrips I took.

Meanwhile:

Kentucky's Alcoholic Beverage Control director faces DUI charge -- South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com
Old 09-24-2007, 02:06 PM   #27
seruzawa
The Toad

Default I've got some heresy....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
Wow, that is truly a shame...mostly for the kids. I got lucky and got clean and sober before that happened to me. Not only was it an act of God that kept me from getting a DUI or hurting someone else, but to this day I cannot comprehend how I survived many of the rides and roadtrips I took.

Meanwhile:

Kentucky's Alcoholic Beverage Control director faces DUI charge -- South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com
..for ya. I realize that saying such things is unacceptable, but I haven't cared what the sheeple think for years. The fact is that there are people who, while legally drunk, are safer drivers than others are stone sober. Of course we must draw a line somewhere and .1 blood alcohol is a good idea. But when you engage in absolutist thinking you lose sight of reality. This is why the MADD nuts are pushing for "zero tolerance", .04% BA levels, etc. while completely ignoring the real dangers. Why don't we arrest people who are driving on valium, a drug that destroys judgement far more effectively than alcohol, even if it doesn't affect motor skills?
Old 09-24-2007, 03:53 PM   #28
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
..for ya. I realize that saying such things is unacceptable, but I haven't cared what the sheeple think for years. The fact is that there are people who, while legally drunk, are safer drivers than others are stone sober. Of course we must draw a line somewhere and .1 blood alcohol is a good idea. But when you engage in absolutist thinking you lose sight of reality. This is why the MADD nuts are pushing for "zero tolerance", .04% BA levels, etc. while completely ignoring the real dangers. Why don't we arrest people who are driving on valium, a drug that destroys judgement far more effectively than alcohol, even if it doesn't affect motor skills?
Actually, I agree. I was trying to make the same point in that post titled "UI in a Drug Crazed Society." I think there can and should be less emphasis on abolutism (as you so well put it) and more emphasis on common sense. I like riding when I'm feeling good.

Maybe using the term "clean and sober" was misleading. I still drink on occasion, etc. What I don't do is take it to the absurd extremes I used to. Which is good for me and my kid!