Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-news/)
-   -   Maldin Aiming for 60th SB Win At VIR (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-news/6180-maldin-aiming-for-60th-sb-win-vir.html)

acecycleins 08-16-2007 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gritboy (Post 167779)
How can someone who's a great racer "use up their usefulness" when they're still riding fast and hard for Yoshimura? Why the hell should he stop? If that argument were sound The Doctor would have jumped out of MotoGP 2 years back. Instead it's great to see riders rise to stardom and fade to memory... at least they're out doing it when weaker men have packed it in.

Good point about WSB though... they probably wouldn't have him regardless of his credentials.

Matt IS in Rossi's shoes. The difference is that the guys that race the GP bikes are better than Matt. Rossi stomped a mud hole into everyone riding the 990, but the 800 is a different animal and Rossi has NOT mastered that. In fact, Rossi has more than proven he's human. Stoner and several others have had really a real good season and Rossi is in 2nd- again- but still is second. Matt would probably be a podium regular in WSB but can he compete for wins? Alstare or Ten Kate could field winners but I think that the WSB regulars would have Matt in the same position as Corser. I think Yoshi puts great equipment under the factory guys, period. I don't think Matt could repeat his success on a Kawi or a Honda. Yamaha may be strong enough, bike wise, but could Matt have Suzuki consistancy with Yamaha- No. Man, I'm doing a lot of thinking here. Anyway, my point is Ben Spies has a career that is only starting and Yoshi could easly throw Matt money at him. Spies, I beleive, could eclipse Matt's career- he has that much talent. My issue is, Matt sold himself short. He played it safe and stayed where he knew he could easily win instead of testing himself against the world. Spies will go GP riding in 2009 because he knows he CAN win in GP. If Matt would have stepped up to WSB and had only average success with the world racers we wouldn't be thinking he's such the racing god he's made out to be. I like the guy because he speaks his mind. I've got many items autographed by him, but I do believe he settled. Too Bad.

longride 08-16-2007 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acecycleins (Post 167812)
If Matt would have stepped up to WSB and had only average success with the world racers we wouldn't be thinking he's such the racing god he's made out to be. I like the guy because he speaks his mind. I've got many items autographed by him, but I do believe he settled. Too Bad.

Yeah, he made himself to be the arrogant ass that he certainly is, and really achieved very little. It's amazing how someone can think so much of himself. I'd love to get his autograph.....so I could spit on it in front of his face.

seruzawa 08-16-2007 07:37 AM

Mom!

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_AirHawk (Post 167767)
DING! Beatcha' Kids!

Buz is kicking my chair!

acecycleins 08-16-2007 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longride (Post 167816)
Yeah, he made himself to be the arrogant ass that he certainly is, and really achieved very little. It's amazing how someone can think so much of himself. I'd love to get his autograph.....so I could spit on it in front of his face.

You guys are making my statements seem a little harsh. He settled, period. He's a great AMA racer. Could he repeat that on the world level? NO! It's that simple. Yoshi did exactly what they were supposed to do- no fault to them. Matt liked the "safe" mode and thrived in it. He will pull the Double at VIR and Rd Atl and win the title from Ben. He will celebrate and be celebrated, but as the "racing world" sees AMA Roadracing as a regional series- it all for nothing- on the world stage. So sad-
Wish the AMA would hire a real promo/marketing/rules company like that guy that bought the Toyota Areacross. He took a tiny motocross tour and made it BIG. That's how you run a company. Smart planning and marketing will bring in the fans every time.

seruzawa 08-16-2007 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acecycleins (Post 167825)
You guys are making my statements seem a little harsh. He settled, period. He's a great AMA racer. Could he repeat that on the world level? NO! It's that simple. Yoshi did exactly what they were supposed to do- no fault to them. Matt liked the "safe" mode and thrived in it. He will pull the Double at VIR and Rd Atl and win the title from Ben. He will celebrate and be celebrated, but as the "racing world" sees AMA Roadracing as a regional series- it all for nothing- on the world stage. So sad-
Wish the AMA would hire a real promo/marketing/rules company like that guy that bought the Toyota Areacross. He took a tiny motocross tour and made it BIG. That's how you run a company. Smart planning and marketing will bring in the fans every time.

Okay, out of millions of motorcycle riders over the last century Mladin ranks in the very top echelon only a smidgen less talented than guys like Roberts or Agostini or Hailwood. I don't blame him for realizing his limitations and staying in the AMA. I wish I were half as good.

The boring nature of AMA Superbike belongs at the feet of the AMA, not Mladin.

acecycleins 08-16-2007 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seruzawa (Post 167830)
Okay, out of millions of motorcycle riders over the last century Mladin ranks in the very top echelon only a smidgen less talented than guys like Roberts or Agostini or Hailwood. I don't blame him for realizing his limitations and staying in the AMA. I wish I were half as good.

The boring nature of AMA Superbike belongs at the feet of the AMA, not Mladin.

Mladin helped make it boring by virtue of being better than the class of riders he competes against. Yoshi helped that along. Kawi, Yamaha and Ducati fading in and out of AMA SB didn't help the AMA or the racing, but it sure did help Yoshi. I think Matt exceeded his own expectations in the AMA and he will be the best ever AMA racer, but to put him on the same tier (almost) as Roberts, Agostini or Hailwood is CRAZY TALK. Those guys knew the value of taking machinery and making magic. I don't think Mladin could do that with the machines of the past. If Roberts took his racing heyday magic and was able to apply it to todays machines Mladin would come out looking like the Bostrom Broz. Top tens everywhere, but no forward progress.

Gritboy 08-16-2007 12:50 PM

Crazy thoughts

Quote:

Originally Posted by acecycleins (Post 167812)
Yamaha may be strong enough, bike wise, but could Matt have Suzuki consistancy with Yamaha- No. Man, I'm doing a lot of thinking here. Anyway, my point is Ben Spies has a career that is only starting and Yoshi could easly throw Matt money at him. Spies, I beleive, could eclipse Matt's career- he has that much talent. My issue is, Matt sold himself short. He played it safe and stayed where he knew he could easily win instead of testing himself against the world. Spies will go GP riding in 2009 because he knows he CAN win in GP. If Matt would have stepped up to WSB and had only average success with the world racers we wouldn't be thinking he's such the racing god he's made out to be.

All interesting points, but of course just assumptions and conjecture. We'll never no for sure what Matt could do in the world arena... partially your point of course.

I hardly think of Matt as some racing god, but in the AMA arena he has more than proven himself. That's not all because of the bike he's riding, but also some real skill. Sure he's an arrogant racer, but I don't care about the guy's personality, I just want to see some exciting racing. That said, I am constantly amazed at Yosh Suzuki's dominance. It's hard to understand how one factory team can be so much better than others, even of the same manufacturer. The riders are definitely a major part of the equation, but damn it's odd that one team can dominate so heavily.

To compare: Hacking had a great seasons in '05-'06 with Yamaha and looked like a rising star, but this year is really struggling with his Kawi -- though definitely is getting it sorted out a bit. Conversely, Spies shows great promise and was brilliant in '06, but this year he's a bit hit-or-miss (mind you he's still very much on target), so obviously Mladin still has some racing left in him.

For sh&ts and giggles, I'd love to see racing where the riders had to play musical bikes and we could see how much is the rider and how much is the machine/team.

But I digress... back to work for me.

acecycleins 08-16-2007 02:34 PM

I think Michael Jordan got it right about Factory vs Support teams. Jordan has the money to play with the "Big Boys" and hiring Yates was a great move, but if Suzuki won't (and Jordan confirmed this) sell Superbike parts that are available (to Yoshi and Alstare) to Privateer teams you will always see a seperation between Factory and Privateer teams. Yamaha and Kawisaki are probably the same way. American Honda is all "in-house" and Erion is as good as Factory so I believe Honda is trying to level the Honda field- ask the Corona Honda guys if that statement seems right. So, what's a racer to do? You want to Superbike race but you're limited by the technology you can develop or, in Jordans case, buy. If our "regional/national" series can't play on World rules our series will always look like a bunch of "weekend warriors". Guys like Matt will rule because the playing field is tilted and it's the Facotries that sit at the top. I'm not say they should give stuff away but if you can pay to play it would only make the racing closer.

longride 08-17-2007 04:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acecycleins (Post 167847)
I think Michael Jordan got it right about Factory vs Support teams. Jordan has the money to play with the "Big Boys" and hiring Yates was a great move, but if Suzuki won't (and Jordan confirmed this) sell Superbike parts that are available (to Yoshi and Alstare) to Privateer teams you will always see a seperation between Factory and Privateer teams. Yamaha and Kawisaki are probably the same way. American Honda is all "in-house" and Erion is as good as Factory so I believe Honda is trying to level the Honda field- ask the Corona Honda guys if that statement seems right. So, what's a racer to do? You want to Superbike race but you're limited by the technology you can develop or, in Jordans case, buy. If our "regional/national" series can't play on World rules our series will always look like a bunch of "weekend warriors". Guys like Matt will rule because the playing field is tilted and it's the Facotries that sit at the top. I'm not say they should give stuff away but if you can pay to play it would only make the racing closer.

I'm pretty sure Kenny Roberts said the same things about GP about 10 years before Jordan knew what a motorcycle was. Of course it's stacked for the factories. They want THEIR guys to win. Makes sense really.

acecycleins 08-17-2007 11:24 AM

Kenny gets Factory suff and creates his own because he's surrounded by F1 engineers. Gemini make most of Jordans magic and can't buy the parts. I know Factory guys will always he up front but if Suzuki and others would sell the "proven" parts and technology maybe things would not be as lopsided.