Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News

Old 07-20-2007, 08:04 AM   #1
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Default BMW buys Husqvarna

BMW buys Husqvarna in rare takeover

FRANKFURT (Reuters) - BMW will buy Husqvarna Motorcycles for an undisclosed sum, the German premium carmaker and motorcycle group said on Friday, marking its first acquisition of a rival since its ill-fated purchase of Rover in 1994.

BMW buys Husqvarna in rare takeover | Reuters
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-20-2007, 08:09 AM   #2
seruzawa
The Toad

Well, as long as they don't mess with the side stands.
Old 07-20-2007, 08:13 AM   #3
pplassm
Founding Member

Well, I guess all the crystal-ballers were wrong!

Hope they keep the marque in production. I have had a few Huskys, new and old, and they're good machines.
pplassm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 08:22 AM   #4
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default "cept the '84 XC series

Quote:
Originally Posted by pplassm View Post
Well, I guess all the crystal-ballers were wrong!

Hope they keep the marque in production. I have had a few Huskys, new and old, and they're good machines.

...the last year of the Swedish bikes, that some say were sabotaged on purpose by Aquavit soaked workers all hopped up on ludafisk...

I read somewhere that BMW is buying Husqvarna to counter the KTM dominance in dual sport-off-road-MX bikes.

Good luck. The market is soaked as it is...
Old 07-20-2007, 08:27 AM   #5
maladg
Registered Member

Even though I'm guilty as charged of being a Beemer fan, lets hope they don't force Husky to use their bearing suppliers!
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 09:44 AM   #6
acecycleins
Founding Member

Default BMW buys Husky

In MCN today BMW is reportedly finalizing a deal to purchase Husky from Cagiva.
MCN BMW buys Husqvarna
acecycleins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 11:15 AM   #7
pplassm
Founding Member

[quote=mscuddy;165816I read somewhere that BMW is buying Husqvarna to counter the KTM dominance in dual sport-off-road-MX bikes.

Good luck. The market is soaked as it is...[/QUOTE]

Actually, it was in an interview with one of the BMW bigwigs. I read about it in several places.

The BMW folks believe they need to attract a younger population, hence the dirtbikes, remade 650s and new 800s.

Seen the new 450 they're developing? The clutch is on the end of the crankshaft (been tried before, with poor results in the 60s/70s) to allow more direct frame rails to the swingarm pivot. Also, the swingarm pivot is concentric with the countershaft sprocket.

As a long time dirt rider, both of these ideas bother me.
Old 07-20-2007, 11:19 AM   #8
seruzawa
The Toad

Default They may be right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pplassm View Post
Actually, it was in an interview with one of the BMW bigwigs. I read about it in several places.

The BMW folks believe they need to attract a younger population, hence the dirtbikes, remade 650s and new 800s.
But the younger people won't pay 9K for an F650 when they can get a DP650 for $5K. Same with the 800 twin - you can get an SV1000 for less $. The same reason you see the younger guys buying metric cruisers... not enough disposable cash.
Old 07-20-2007, 11:33 AM   #9
pplassm
Founding Member

Here's a link to info on the 450:

BMW 450 enduro threadfest (merged)... - ADVrider
Old 07-20-2007, 01:35 PM   #10
Gritboy
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
But the younger people won't pay 9K for an F650 when they can get a DP650 for $5K. Same with the 800 twin - you can get an SV1000 for less $. The same reason you see the younger guys buying metric cruisers... not enough disposable cash.
I ride a parts bin V-Strom right now and love it, but an BMW F800ST or KTM 990 Superduke might be in my future if my cashflow improves, so you've got a point about moolah being a factor.

That said, not all the riders are "younger" and BMW does make some fine ass, distinctive bikes, they're just not bargain basement and they're NOT for everyone. In the car world a Hyundai can go against a BMW/Mecedes in some performance/features areas, but it's not the same feeling of quality by any means, and it's more about aesthetics, choice and refinement... not pure dollar for performance.
Gritboy is offline   Reply With Quote