Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News

View Poll Results: Bad Weather Names for New Buell 1125
Thunder 0 0%
Tornado 3 20.00%
Typhon 3 20.00%
Storm 0 0%
Tsunami 2 13.33%
Blizzard 0 0%
Black Ice 1 6.67%
Cloudburst 0 0%
Monsoon 1 6.67%
Other 5 33.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-10-2007, 10:44 AM   #21
Kreb_Cycle
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
Ever read Zelazny's "Creatures of Light and Darkness"? The Iliad?

Modern "education" tsk tsk. apparently students don't know any Greek mythology. Heck they can't read, add or subtract. But they do know that teachers are underpaid! Only the "important" things are taught.
I have read Zelazny's "Creatures of Light and Darkness." A good read. My favorite short by Zelazny is "For a Breath I Tarry" - here's a link to the story in its entirety. You can read it on your "break."

Roger Zelazny. For a Breath I Tarry

I've read the Illiad and the Odyssey, and many other Greek texts historical and fictitious although only in English, among them Thucidides, nearly everything by Plato (which I immediately forgot, except for a few choice metaphors), plenty of Aristotle (unfortunately) and lots of political demagoguery by various old dead Greeks, most of Sophocles's plays, some Aristophane, and Hesiod's Theogony, which is probably the best place to learn about Typhon, although Ovid's Metamorphosis talks about him as well - Hesiod says he's the father of Chimera, Cerberus, the Hydra, Ovid says he's the father of the Sphynx. The Sphynx and the Chimera are often intertwined in myth. My major in college was ancient Greek history with a minor in post-enlightenment philosophy, so as not to put Descartes before the horse, or the Pegasus, or whatever.

I'll leave you with my favorite Diogenes story:

Diogenes stood outside a brothel, shouting, "A beautiful ***** is like poisoned honey! A beautiful ***** is like poisoned honey! A beautiful ***** . . . ". Men entering the house threw him a coin or two to shut him up. Eventually Diogenes had collected enough money and he too went into the brothel.
He was a fattish but active man of paralyzing stupidity, a mass of imbecile enthusiasms—one of those completely unquestioning, devoted drudges on whom, more even than on the thought police, the stability of the Party depended. - George Orwell _1984_
Kreb_Cycle is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-10-2007, 10:50 AM   #22
lwatcdr
Founding Member

If you are going for bad "weather" names why not Firestorm or Hailstorm?
If it is fighter planes well then there are a lot of good options left.
Warhawk, Starfire, Crusader, Phantom, and Blackwidow are a few that come to mind.
Some of the best fighter names are all ready taken. Mustang, Saber, and Wildcat are taken.
lwatcdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 10:50 AM   #23
seruzawa
The Toad

Well, I was never self-abusive enough to wade through all that stuff. Sometimes I wish I had though. A few Greek plays and some selected writings of the classics is as far as I've gone. We could probably benefit from more classical education and less touchie-feelie self-esteem driven nonsense in school. People would learn that many of the questions we face today are no different than they were thousands of years ago. Especially political/social ones.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:00 AM   #24
Cheesebeast
Registered Member

Buell LiebenStrom?

Those with deeper pockets can always spring for the limited Nuremberg Edition.
Cheesebeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 11:03 AM   #25
Cheesebeast
Registered Member

Huzzah! Kids these days don't know about all the useful family relationship advice that the myths hold.

I should have sprung for the braille keyboard BEFORE I poked my eyes out, though.

Oh..mummmy....
Old 07-10-2007, 11:04 AM   #26
Kreb_Cycle
Registered Member

Quote:
Well, I was never self-abusive enough to wade through all that stuff. Sometimes I wish I had though. A few Greek plays and some selected writings of the classics is as far as I've gone. We could probably benefit from more classical education and less touchie-feelie self-esteem driven nonsense in school. People would learn that many of the questions we face today are no different than they were thousands of years ago. Especially political/social ones.
The censor ruined my Diogones story by blacking out the word "w hore." Yeah, most of that crap was unnecessary but hey, that's a liberal arts education for you. The worst part is that once you start you end up reading stuff on your own, and for me it never stops. I can spew random BS about all kinds of junk, much to the chagrin of my acquaintances.
He was a fattish but active man of paralyzing stupidity, a mass of imbecile enthusiasms—one of those completely unquestioning, devoted drudges on whom, more even than on the thought police, the stability of the Party depended. - George Orwell _1984_
Kreb_Cycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 11:15 AM   #27
Cheesebeast
Registered Member

What about the Buell Pegasus?

It is their corporate logo, and I don't recall there ever being a bike with that name.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:46 AM   #28
fumanchu
Founding Member

i see a new marketing direction for buell.

the tagline "buell's new 1125R...drive it like you stole it" will be replaced with:

"the new buell blitzkrieg...drive it like the last clipper to buenos aires leaves in 10 minutes".
Old 07-10-2007, 12:09 PM   #29
schizuki
Founding Member

Quote:
People would learn that many of the questions we face today are no different than they were thousands of years ago. Especially political/social ones.
All that changes is the date on the calendar. To think otherwise is narcissism.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 01:36 PM   #30
seruzawa
The Toad

In Soviet Russia keyboard punch YOU!