Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News

View Poll Results: What new or unique technology will be on your next bike?
ABS 1 33.33%
Linked Braking System 1 33.33%
Traction Control 1 33.33%
Switchable Engine Mapping (like the new Hayabusa) 1 33.33%
Other 2 66.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-06-2007, 07:34 AM   #11
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

I think I can manage that. I'll do a quick search on craigslist and get a nice rusty brown piece of crap from 1980.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-06-2007, 08:08 AM   #12
seruzawa
The Toad

After several years of battle with an '84 Magna I am now the undisputed Master of the Inventive Curse. Yeah, I know, there are Shovelhead owners who might contest that title, but I'm confident in my ability to turn the air blue within nanoseconds. After all, nothing on the Magna can be substituted with duct tape or baling wire.
Old 07-06-2007, 08:44 AM   #13
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
Getting the mechanical skills is easy. It's learning to throw wrenches properly, and invent new swear words is the real trick. Working on old bikes will have you doing that real quick, so you need to learn proper form and technique to look like a real pro. To start out on a good note, find any 25 year old Japanese motorcycle that has been sitting outside for the last 20 years and try to remove the engine screws from it. That should start you out right. Then graduate to finding old Harleys and try to stop all the oil leaks. By then you will have all the wrench and tantrum throwing practice you need to hang with the best. Good luck!
...you can tell a good "classic" bike mechanic from how many "tool" divots are in the cement floor of the garage. Creating a good divot takes practice, and the size of the divot is directly proportional to the tool size, i.e. a Craftsman 10mm open end leaves a smaller divot then a 14mm box end Snap On. Also, when creating the "divot" the tone the tool creates when it strikes the floor has bearing on the total divot score. A loud "ping" is not as good as a long "ringing" tone, followed by the classic ricochet sound as the tool bounces off the floor, and then into a newly painted gas tank, finally ending up under the workbench.
Old 07-06-2007, 09:03 AM   #14
seruzawa
The Toad

A good "classic" bike mechanic also knows that the quality of the tool is directly proportional to the distance it bounces as well as the timbre of the ringing. For example my old set of No Name metric box end wrenches I bought at the Pep Boys on Sunset in Hollywood in 1974 do not ring as clearly nor fly as far on rebound as the Snap-on box ends I stole from my father-in-law.
Old 07-06-2007, 10:02 AM   #15
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

But it's not just about the tool, or the quality of said tool, but it's all about the windup, toss, follow-through, and then the burst of expletives that make a true mechanic. A double bouncer off the floor and into the work bench with a 9/16ths box end may look good, but sometimes a well placed screwdriver into the wall will score the most points with the judges. Remember that style and form count, as well as flailing arms and gnashing of teeth.