Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-news/)
-   -   Polaris Acquires Indian Motorcycle (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-news/18390-polaris-acquires-indian-motorcycle.html)

Administrator 04-20-2011 09:17 AM

Polaris Acquires Indian Motorcycle

Original Article:
Polaris Acquires Indian Motorcycle

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article Polaris Acquires Indian Motorcycle in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

pdad13 04-20-2011 11:49 AM

Um, on the surface of it, I don't really get it. I can see how Polaris might view the Indian brand as a way to attract potential H-D customers with a classically-styled product. And it makes sense to attack H-D while its wounded, but I don't really see big potential here.

Seems like Victory and Indian's offerings are still too close in an already crowded market.

Now, they could have other plans that we're not privy, to, so I reserve the right to be staggeringly wrong.

Kevin_Duke 04-20-2011 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdad13 (Post 258739)
Um, on the surface of it, I don't really get it. I can see how Polaris might view the Indian brand as a way to attract potential H-D customers with a classically-styled product. And it makes sense to attack H-D while its wounded, but I don't really see big potential here.

Seems like Victory and Indian's offerings are still too close in an already crowded market.

Now, they could have other plans that we're not privy, to, so I reserve the right to be staggeringly wrong.

Seems like an odd mix to me, too. Perhaps Vic was skeptical they could compete on the high end with H-D and the CVO line, so they needed a prestige brand. I'd guess Indian will be their Acura to Victory's Honda.

opie 04-20-2011 01:25 PM

Indian.........again.

Like many of you I've watched Indian change hands, what, 4 or 5 times in the past 22 years? I've never been impressed by any of the iterations - at least not for the money. They've never represented a strong value to me - not even as much as H-D. And I agree with the comment that Victory and Indian are already pretty darn close together. You can think of the new Vision as 'Indian meets Star Trek.' I think Polaris will have its hands full keeping up with H-D as it is. Why divide efforts and market share?

Want to sell me an Indian? Call it a 'Motocycle" like the original Indian used to and build something cool that sells for $12K-$15K. Call one of them the Munro Special.

acecycleins 04-20-2011 04:40 PM

I stick with my original prediction: Indian becomes the Cadillac upscale division of Polaris while Victory becomes the Pontiac performance division.

nferr 04-20-2011 05:00 PM

Wonder if Indian will start using the Victory powerplants. Seems like a much better engine than the Harley clone in the Indians now. That engine is not even counterbalanced.

Kevin_Duke 04-20-2011 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nferr (Post 258759)
Wonder if Indian will start using the Victory powerplants. Seems like a much better engine than the Harley clone in the Indians now. That engine is not even counterbalanced.

Yeah, but the Indian motor looks nicer, and at least it has some semi-authentic Indian roots. Maybe they'll rubber-mount it.

acecycleins 04-21-2011 05:29 AM

Honestly, this is an opportunity. Don't make it a copy of the old. You need upscale young buyers that have the $25k but don't want the same old crap. Re-invent Indian like Caddi did for itself three years ago. High-end road bikes that can be suitable for the boulevard or touring. I believe it's in the best interest of Polaris to use a new motor that is air-cooled. I truly believe this is the opportunity to get Eller's Rousch built powerplant and a nice 6 spd transmission. But equip the bikes with direct injection and put abs on them. Just a thought.....

pdad13 04-23-2011 11:49 PM

If Polaris could reinvent Indian, they might have a shot, but that doesn't seem to be the case. We'll see, I suppose.

It sounds like they'll be trying to steal potential H-D customers with some version of the Chief and Scout. It makes sense on some level, especially with H-D not expected to do well in the sales department in the near future. But I'm not overly optimistic.

I guess my point is this: Victory tried to be an alternative to H-D and they've only had marginal success by trying to sell what is basically a version of the archetype product that H-D practically invented. Why is Indian going to be any different? Okay, so you've got the Indian name, but is that going to mean much to a significant number of today's buyers? It's a long-dead brand that has been *****d around for years. It doesn't mean much to most people under 60 years old except maybe flared fenders and some fringe.

Are there even that many people who want an American cruiser alternative to H-D? I just don't know. Seems like Victory hasn't been able to identify and/or reach all that many.

Make Indian stand for something new and exciting and they might have something.

pm9654 04-24-2011 04:17 AM

I don't think Polaris has to "reinvent" Indian, I think they need to evolve the bike a bit, smoothing out some rough edges. The biggest problem I see with Indian, is the cost. That and people worrying that the company may die right after they buy the bike. Polaris buying the company should ease some of those fears, now if the cost could come down some.
Your comment about Victory having only marginal success in the market is flat out wrong. Just because they have not sold in the numbers of HD doesn't mean they have not been successful. Their growth in the past year proves that. The bikes they make, are not copies, but a more modern take on what a V twin should look like, and feel like.
I am happy that Polaris is going to try and make a go of Indian. It is a much better alternative that having that brand die, like EH.