Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-news/)
-   -   Yamaha Develops Chassis Vibration Damper (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-news/17840-yamaha-develops-chassis-vibration-damper.html)

Administrator 03-16-2011 12:54 PM

Yamaha Develops Chassis Vibration Damper
 

Original Article:
<a href="http://www.motorcycle.com//news/yamaha-develops-chassis-vibration-damper-90556.html">Yamaha Develops Chassis Vibration Damper</a>

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article Yamaha Develops Chassis Vibration Damper in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

The_AirHawk 03-16-2011 03:37 PM

I thought they already had something like this - called 'em "Chakra-absorabers" or "Shockers" or "Wetters" or "Dampers" or somthin' like that, didn't they?

sarnali2 03-16-2011 04:23 PM

Well there goes the female market.....It's back to Sporters ladies.....

Kevin_Duke 03-16-2011 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_AirHawk (Post 257077)
I thought they already had something like this - called 'em "Chakra-absorabers" or "Shockers" or "Wetters" or "Dampers" or somthin' like that, didn't they?

It seems like a way to exploit tuned flex while controlling the rebounding of the flex. Kinda clever, in concept at least. I'll believe it more when I see it in MotoGP.

pplassm 03-17-2011 07:38 AM

Ah, but it's not performance related. It's a COMFORT accessory, so it will never see racing use, will it?

Kevin_Duke 03-17-2011 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pplassm (Post 257098)
Ah, but it's not performance related. It's a COMFORT accessory, so it will never see racing use, will it?

Now it's about comfort and a scooter, but from hearing the concept defined, I could imagine its application in racing.

For decades now, GP engineers have been experimenting with a certain amount of flex in frames because a suspension can't do much to absorb bumps when a bike is at a 50-degree lean angle - the forces are in a different alignment than the suspension is at when leaned over. In a performance application, this could allow a frame to be tuned for flexing while being able to absorb the sudden rebound from the bending metal chassis.

There seems to be a dearth of new ways to build a chassis for a racebike, but this might allow some real innovation. We'll see.

Morbo the Destroyer 03-17-2011 11:05 AM

This is really interesting, but I'm trying to visualize how it works. If the flex is along the perimeter beams of the frame, then it seems you'd have one along each side, longitudinally. But if the flex is between the "fork" that the frame beams creates, there would be one horizontally between the beams.

This is cool stuff. Harley riders have needed this for years!

Buzglyd 03-17-2011 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morbo the Destroyer (Post 257119)
This is really interesting, but I'm trying to visualize how it works. If the flex is along the perimeter beams of the frame, then it seems you'd have one along each side, longitudinally. But if the flex is between the "fork" that the frame beams creates, there would be one horizontally between the beams.

This is cool stuff. Harley riders have needed this for years!

A 50 degree lean angle on a Harley is called "layin' her down."

Administrator 03-17-2011 02:27 PM

Here's a picture of the Yamaha Performance Damper for automobiles that the Power Beam is based on.

IMG_9018 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!


-MO news monkey

The_AirHawk 03-17-2011 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Administrator (Post 257132)
Here's a picture of the Yamaha Performance Damper for automobiles that the Power Beam is based on.

IMG_9018 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!


-MO news monkey

WRC/ Pro-Rally fan, news monkey? The Wife and I do a bit of Control Worker Volunteering on the side.

Nothin' like gettin' pelted with rocks from Block or Pastrana as they scream by you at a hunnert-plus on some backroad in the middle of the sticks! (well, other than mebbe gettin' pelted by bits of molten-rubber by a pre-MotoGP-Haydn just off the carousel at PPIR!)

One can infer from this pic that the new damper will likely be mounted transversely. Makes sense, with a machine leaned-over hard and what was once "horizontal" is now a substantial-way toward "vertical".


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:25 PM.